Sign in to follow this  
DemonaNightshade

What's the buzz about caffeine?

teapots.png

Don't forget to create a coffee pot, tea pot, and ibrik to help you brew some delicious new beverages!

So, you’ve foraged and gotten yourself a few coffee beans and tea seeds, planted them into a pottery planter, and started harvesting tea leaves and coffee cherries? Lovely! Time to pull out the roasting pan for the coffee beans, grind up some delicious ground coffee, and enjoy a hot coffee pot of tasty deliciousness. Now that coffee and tea has been introduced, many of you have wondered what effect (if any) these drinks will have on you in game. There will be benefits to using caffeine while working on skills, but there will also be a bit of a crash for those using it (much like our zombie crashes in real life after getting all hyped up on caffeine!).

The benefits and crash from using caffeinated beverages involve sleep bonus, skill gain, and fatigue. Depending on your current level of caffeination, your sleep bonus and fatigue will be consumed at an accelerated rate. This only happens when your sleep bonus is being used, but you’ll have even bigger skill ticks! This benefits players who want to get a good grind in, in a short amount of time. Don't forget to watch your fatigue with the /fatigue command in a chat tab! Caffeine will also help sober you up from alcoholic beverages, and once per server day (use the /servertime command to check what the server day is) if you take a drink of coffee within 10 minutes of logging in, you'll get 10 minutes of free sleep bonus!

Beverages containing caffeine will fill up your water bar faster than normal beverages, and the quality of the beverage determines the length of time you are affected by the caffeine it provides. The weakest ones will be legacy teas made before the introduction of caffeine, followed by White Tea, Yellow Tea, Oolong Tea, Green Tea, and then Black Tea being the strongest of the teas. Coffees will be much stronger than teas and great for getting higher levels of caffeine. Cafe au Lait will be the weakest, followed by Black Coffee, Fortified Coffee, and then Kahvesi (espresso).

To learn more about fatigue and what it means for you, check out this page on the Wurmpedia!

• Like 36
  • Cat 2

If you care about being efficient about SB usage (vs. only getting fast skillgain) you may want to watch out for this: https://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/187019-caffeine-ccfp

In particular, caffeine doesn't seem to combine well (read: in your favor) with the decreased SB consumption of being well-fed, meaning SB consumption rises faster than your skillgain rises for well-fed players. Its not been confirmed yet if thats intended, but currently, if you want the most skill out of your SB, you'll probably want to hold off on the caffeine.

4 hours ago, DemonaNightshade said:

if you take a drink of coffee within 10 minutes of logging in, you'll get 10 minutes of free sleep bonus!

Only coffee and not tea? >.>

*grumbles in Brit*

Seriously though, thanks for posting this - it's really nice and refreshing to know what mechanics are and how they work from the outset with a new feature.  ❤️

Edited by crimsonearth
  • Like 4

I got this message when I turned on my sleep bonus. I was NOT under the influence of caffeine at the time. It had been over 2 days real-time and almost as much game time since my last coffee.

[16:37:42] You start using your sleep bonus.

[16:37:42] You feel your fatigue and sleep bonus drain slightly faster from the effects of caffeine.

also what are the effects from tea/cacao consumables, side effects?

Does the increase in skill gain equal the increased rate of sleep bonus consumption? The tooltip isn't all that clear on that.

So mainly wondering if the skill gained per sleep powder remains constant with this buff, without taking other factors like ccfp into account.

1 hour ago, Finnn said:

have anyone figured how to make black tea?

Well, in RL "black" tea is made by rolling ( to break cellular walls) and then fermenting green tea leaves. "White" tea is made by drying the lea leaves shortly after harvest to stop the fermenting process. Each kind of tea comes from the same plant only the method of preparation differs.

My guess is we should emulate the different methods ingame.

Has anyone actually made tea yet? I planted a bunch of seeds not long after the patch and none of them are harvestable yet.

1 minute ago, Ajala said:

Has anyone actually made tea yet? I planted a bunch of seeds not long after the patch and none of them are harvestable yet.

yes, I planted some asap we had the servers up with the content, harvested ~18 or w/e like that

green tea leaves + trying pan + oven = yellow tea leaves

green tea leaves + roasting dish + campfire = white tea leaves

can't figure out remaining 2 just yet

Edited by Mantas
  • Like 2

I think this is a really great addition!  It helps out the non full time Wurmers, something much needed. Good work guys.

This is AMAZING

EDIT: I will surely be drinking coffee everyday now. Noizhead would be so proud. Now I can be a grinding coffee fiend IRL and in game! /me sips coffee

Edited by Toby

I finally figured out black tea! I crushed green tea leaves and then tried every single tool and container I could think of with no success, finally just set them on a table to see if they would air dry... and after some time they disappeared. But they weren't gone! They were on the floor under the table, as crushed brown tea leaves. Then I could put them in the teapot and make tea :D Not sure why they fell off the table, that seems like a bug, but it looks like the crushed green tea leaves just need to sit out for a little while to turn brown.

• Like 6

I wonder if caffeinated late game channel grind with double links is now actually viable in a human lifetime.

21 hours ago, Ajala said:

I got this message when I turned on my sleep bonus. I was NOT under the influence of caffeine at the time. It had been over 2 days real-time and almost as much game time since my last coffee.

[16:37:42] You start using your sleep bonus.

[16:37:42] You feel your fatigue and sleep bonus drain slightly faster from the effects of caffeine.

Better do a bug report then??

Oolong leaves are made by dropping green tea leaves and leaving them for an hour or two. I did it indoors and just used the floor. Not sure if containers and/or outdoors works too.

Black tea is made with brown leaves, made the same way with crushed green leaves.

There's no event window message when they change.

22 minutes ago, Ajala said:

Oolong leaves are made by dropping green tea leaves and leaving them for an hour or two. I did it indoors and just used the floor. Not sure if containers and/or outdoors works too.

Black tea is made with brown leaves, made the same way with crushed green leaves.

There's no event window message when they change.

I checked with a small barrel and that worked too :)

• Like 1

Well, I drink coffee IRL when I play Wurm, so it's only fitting that my character should do the same! A very fun and addition to Wurm, with a very cleverly thought out use. Thanks, guys!

6 hours ago, Vorticella said:

I checked with a small barrel and that worked too :)

Works with a small amphora too.

• Like 1

If anyone created new recipes list for coffee , tea and cacao yet ? Or we need to discover all of them on our own ?

I checked old recipe list on google sheets but nothing seems new there yet.  Please be kind and share link if you know it !

Been dealing with major rl problems lately and do not know where even to start regarding roasting beans etc. 

Or how to make Green tea or Kahvesi for example ? Any tips greatly appreciated! Thanks !🤗