Sign in to follow this  
crimsonearth

Map Tables/Map Walls, yes please!

Pretty please can you consider letting us make a map in game (that counts as deco and doesn't decay)?

I don't mean a cartography skill/map-making process as others have outlined in previous suggestions - that's not what I'm after. I want a craftable item (probably waxed cotton + dye, or something?) that makes a reproduction of the in-game map for the server that it's made on. Large enough to fill a large table and, if possible, also mountable on a tapestry stand for use as a wall map. 

I'd dearly love a map room for my library of my home server and people could do all sorts of fun stuff with an item like this, for example:

• we could use named chequers counters or statuettes or gems or other small things to mark allied deeds and have grand alliance map-rooms on deed
  • we could have war-tables and use small placed items to mark suspected territory borders or enemy camps
  • those of us who have several deeds on a server could make a nice visual map of our lands 
  • explorers could use any number of means to use such maps to track unexplored lands or favourite routes/paths/anything else and to mark arterial canals and highways
  • archaeologists can place our lovely tiny tokens down to mark our favoured sites to go back and revisit, or just to track the places we've already excavated
  • wild foresters can use it to mark public groves or our favourite secluded foraging spots
  • If the crafted map retains the map of the server it was created on (yes please!) - folks who want to could collect and display a map deco item from any/every server they visit (great for alliances that span multiple servers, people who keep deeds across various servers, people who just enjoy exploration).
  • It would give us several potential new tapestries in the game with no additional artwork needed (as it would use existing in-game maps only).

I know we have the in-game map function which works to an extent but it's a) unreliable (I've lost my map markers several times over the years), b) limited (I hit the annotation limit all the time and you can only have one 'version' of any given map) and c) it's not a decorative item and it should be goddamnit. :D

Thank you for coming to my TED-talk.

Edited by crimsonearth
  • Like 19

• archaeologists can place our lovely tiny tokens down to mark our favoured sites to go back and revisit, or just to track the places we've already excavated

Yes!  Finally a use for all my small tokens.

+1 to everything else listed too.

• Like 2

+1 Absolutely yes! I really would love the decorative value of personalized wall maps!

• Like 1