Sign in to follow this  
Sheffie

Marsh

Proposed changes:

1. A tile is considered "marsh-friendly" if its highest corner is no more than 5 dirt higher than its lowest.
  2. Allow marsh to spread over adjacent dirt, grass, moss, tundra, and steppe tiles that are marsh-friendly.
  3. Allow grass, moss, tundra, and steppe to spread over adjacent marsh tiles that are not marsh-friendly,

What will these changes do?

• Currently implausible marshes, growing up hillsides and in areas where natural drainage should occur, will gradually revert to other types of grassland, assuming that there's any in the area. Players can still block this using other types of terrain.
  • In areas where players want marsh to spread, it may be cultivated and encouraged by flattening or lowering the terrain.
  • In areas where players want to get rid of marsh, that may be accomplished by means by raising the terrain and letting natural drainage occur, rather than paving over with floorboards. Floorboards will still be an option of course.
  • Having established that the height of a tile's corners can be used to determine whether it is friendly to a specific type of vegetation, Wurm gets a little closer to supporting natural biomes. For example, grassland or tundra could take over from trees at higher altitudes. Again, these wouldn't be radical drastic changes but things that would tend to happen over long periods if players don't intervene to prevent them.

Edited by Sheffie
  • Like 6

they already made floorboards 5 times easier to create.

1 hour ago, Sheffie said:

A tile is considered "marsh-friendly" if its highest corner is no more than 5 dirt higher than its lowest.

that means no marsh will spread anywhere unless players intentionally make it marsh friendly. so just remove all marsh and be done with it.

1 minute ago, Tpikol said:

they already made floorboards 5 times easier to create.

that means no marsh will spread anywhere unless players intentionally make it marsh friendly. so just remove all marsh and be done with it.

Marsh currently doesn't spread anywhere. This proposal allows it to.

1 hour ago, Sheffie said:

Marsh currently doesn't spread anywhere. This proposal allows it to.

marsh currently spreads everywhere, unless i missed something that changed that.

Edit: ok  assume im wrong and it never spreads, im fine with either this or just removing it.

Edited by Tpikol
adding

23 minutes ago, Tpikol said:

marsh currently spreads everywhere, unless i missed something that changed that.

marsh never spreads this is a 10+ year old rumor that you can easily verify with map dumps

• Like 1

Sadly marsh never spreads and what is even more bad it cannot be created so any means helping it I warmly welcome. Would be nice something similar for kelp and natural reed too.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Jaz said:

Sadly marsh never spreads and what is even more bad it cannot be created so any means helping it I warmly welcome. Would be nice something similar for kelp and natural reed too.

I've seen kelp and wild reed spread naturally, but only in straight lines east-west. Not sure whether it propagates east, west, or both, but it never seems to go north or south

5 hours ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

marsh never spreads this is a 10+ year old rumor that you can easily verify with map dumps

The "marsh spreads everywhere" rumour, however, DOES spread everywhere  😄

All I can say is there is a very small marsh patch not to far from our deed that hasn't changed or spread in at least five years. I have also noticed the same linear growth of the kelp and reeds. But the reeds at least can be planted and harvested on farm tiles in shallow water. It would be nice if the same could be said of the kelp.

• Like 1

Alternate idea: add an additional transmutation liquid that converts, say moss into marsh.   Make it similar to the moss->tundra liquid that requires 1/5 the usual amount of liquid.  This would put it within easy reach of the dabbler that wants to convert 20 or 30 (or even 100) tiles without having to worry about unchecked spread of marsh across entire regions of a server.