Sign in to follow this  
Vorticella

When a sickle is active, the default action on overaged trees/bushes should be 'prune', not 'disembark'

As the title says, the default action when a sickle is active should be 'prune' on overaged tree and bush tiles, not disembark. It's way too easy to disembark by accident while going through an orchard harvesting fruit trees. Aside from being annoying, it can lead to big problems when aggressive creatures are around, especially if it happens on a slope while you have low stamina, and being in combat prevents you from getting back on your horse...

Is there a reason 'prune' isn't included as a default action in the first place? It's odd that we can harvest fruits and pick sprouts with it, but not prune.

• Like 4

I completely understand and it may be a simple QOL fix, but for the meantime try prune once and then use R hotkey for Repeat Action, may help

• Like 1

+100

Noted that yesterday. 

Double the annoyance when pruning and sprouting a bunch.

When the plant can be sprouted but not pruned, "F" is sprout, "R" is prune.   But when you move to a plant that CAN be pruned, "F" is disembark and "R" is sprout (which can't be done).

6 hours ago, Vorticella said:

As the title says, the default action when a sickle is active should be 'prune' on overaged tree and bush tiles, not disembark. It's way too easy to disembark by accident while going through an orchard harvesting fruit trees. Aside from being annoying, it can lead to big problems when aggressive creatures are around, especially if it happens on a slope while you have low stamina, and being in combat prevents you from getting back on your horse...

Is there a reason 'prune' isn't included as a default action in the first place? It's odd that we can harvest fruits and pick sprouts with it, but not prune.

5 hours ago, Zykat said:

I completely understand and it may be a simple QOL fix, but for the meantime try prune once and then use R hotkey for Repeat Action, may help

+1

1 hour ago, Tristanc said:

Nice QoL suggestion. A very reasonable one too. +1

no?

It's a matter of what you do, there's no default action on items, you pick what to do, if you want to prune things just keybind or do it once and use the repeat/"default"/ action, keybinds can happen through 3 ways.. F1 console "bind Z prune", right click on tile, pointing over prune action and keeping pressed a key to quickkeybind it, or using the settings to set a keybind from there.

There's no reason to do any new 'default' anything.

----edit

The way I harvest(guessing this comes from something being in season and the need to prune overaged to harvest from such trees/bushes) is to put a skiller on toolbelt slot 1, high ql sicklet on slot 2.. and just use them where necessary, keybinding for that Q = prune, E = harvest, if needed R= pick_sprout, and I'm ready for the season.

Edited by Finnn

6 minutes ago, Finnn said:

It's a matter of what you do, there's no default action on items, you pick what to do, if you want to prune things just keybind or do it once and use the repeat/"default"/ action, keybinds can happen through 3 ways.. F1 console "bind Z prune", right click on tile, pointing over prune action and keeping pressed a key to quickkeybind it, or using the settings to set a keybind from there.

There's no reason to do any new 'default' anything.

The game offers default actions for all the other things you can do with a sickle on a tree or bush. We get used to using the default action key for all those other actions, then there is this one exception we have to remember, or else we get bounced off our mounts. Why on earth would you not want that inconsistency fixed?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Vorticella said:

The game offers default actions for all the other things you can do with a sickle on a tree or bush. We get used to using the default action key for all those other actions, then there is this one exception we have to remember, or else we get bounced off our mounts. Why on earth would you not want that inconsistency fixed?

I do not use "repeat" and "default" or whatever you're using, had to turn off repeat feature completely.. to me it does more harm than good

Then this would have no impact on you at all, you're just eristic.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Finnn said:

I do not use "repeat" and "default" or whatever you're using, had to turn off repeat feature completely.. to me it does more harm than good

All the more reason to improve it :)