Sign in to follow this  
Wurmfarm

New Years Box (2022)

Stop hiding the boxes around spawns! 

It encourages people to hoard them all and sell them.

Just give them to everyone who logs on the few days after new years! 

This discourages new players who find out about it after hand.

People are usually active around the holidays so they usually don't have time to run around all the starter towns

(inb4: "I've found the boxes months after new years still laying around starter towns" Yes, good for you I'm talking about active servers)

If you want to do easter egg hunts save it for easter!

Edit per comments: Would be good to give everyone who logged in and also scatter a couple of same item around if people still like the hunt (which not everyone has time for but are still paying premium players)

Edited by Wurmfarm
  • Like 17

I agree as well - New Year boxes for all who log in would be wonderful - like another Christmas present

I will say, while there may be a good few around spawns, that's not the only places they show up. Found 4 chests on remote mountains months after they were spawned.

Perhaps give one of the items as a login reward, and the rest must be hunted for? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Synjor said:

I will say, while there may be a good few around spawns, that's not the only places they show up. Found 4 chests on remote mountains months after they were spawned.

Perhaps give one of the items as a login reward, and the rest must be hunted for? 

Thats fine give the same item...

If you login during the time period (1 week around new years) you get the item.

If you miss it then you can go hunting for same item or others can hunt also.

Edited by Wurmfarm
  • Like 1

I will not be popular but how is this different than a suggestion that every premium toon should get for example 0.05 skill daily on every skill when logs in even if not doing anything?

The goal and mostly the fun of this game is to DO something to achieve something. Taking that away will make it empty on the long run.

And to note - I do not tend to find all the drops, but when I do I'm really happy that it happened.

• Like 1

I personally do get the gratification out of the hunt but that being said there are those who often get left out simply because they just don't have the time to spend on the hunt. Also I have often stumbled upon several boxes in a night and there are those who do claim them all and horde them instead of leaving the extras for others which again leaves the others out of luck and disheartened.

On the other hand Jaz does have a point about it becoming nothing more than a token gift instead of a sense of achievement. But then again should you really have to work for a gift?

Overall I have to side with OP on this one. +1

• Like 1

I live out in the wilderness, quite far from any starter town, so didn't get the NYE box last year. Figured by the time I'd have been able to make it to the starter town the boxes would already be snatched up, so didn't bother. so, yeah i'll take one automatically. +1

• Like 1

They're not around starter towns, they're placed randomly out in the wild. Xanadu had them placed out randomly around starter town, but in about a half hour diameter or so. 

I spent hours doing them lol

Or they could make it one per account, give everyone a chance

12 hours ago, Archaed said:

I spent hours doing them lol

so, not randomly then :)

I dunno... I mean I get what you're saying but also - we get Christmas gifts, one for every premium toon who logs in, just days before. It's super nice to have some events that we go out and search for things that are open to all players, ftp or premium. I love scavenger hunts. Kinda sounds like there's no place for them if anything GM-created needs to be distributed equally to everyone. I'd like if one of every GM named creature spawned magically on my doorstep each year (except I wouldn't because it would make them less special and it really is the hunting for them that's fun) but instead, I spend literally weeks hunting all the maps on horseback and by boat and following tips to try and find one of everything for my wildlife park.

Particularly since the contents are usually high ql and GM named but they're not, like... whole new items that don't exist in the game otherwise (like Christmas presents). A silver horseshoe or a lantern and a vial of vodka - something fun to go out hunting for, but mostly just a nice to have token or a fancy piece of jewellery and a drink. It's a bit of fun for the folks who aren't off partying with friends and family for whatever reason on New Years to go celebrate in Wurm instead.

Eh, it's tricky because they are obviously also sought after enough that they have a fair bit of market value, so I can see the argument. I guess I think something being rare and sought after isn't a bad thing if it has no real in game benefit? If thousands of them exist in the game, don't they lose their specialness? I also enjoy the Halloween hunts but I don't think turning NY boxes into loot drops solves the problem either because both hunting for loot drops and scavenger hunts for hidden things are enjoyable activities and we need more, not less, of those kinds of things I think.

No answers here, just mixed feelings and sympathy.

Edited by crimsonearth
  • Like 3

The hoarding and being left out part can be easily addressed by not dumping all the drops at the same time but in a span of time (even better if the playerbase does not know the specifics). I can confirm the drops of last years could be found in really remote places, I've found a box in a never-traveled hilly area of Cele this summer. We already get a Christmas gift in game, and NY is about fun and not more gift mainly I guess (except of course in the areas of world where there is no Xmas and gifts arrive at NY).

• Like 1

There were New Years Eve boxes last year???

As a new player, completely missed out on that!

6 hours ago, crimsonearth said:

I also enjoy the Halloween hunts but I don't think turning NY boxes into loot drops solves the problem either because both hunting for loot drops and scavenger hunts for hidden things are enjoyable activities and we need more, not less, of those kinds of things I think.

This is very true, we really do need more of these activities. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for random treasure hunts.

its a renamed item and a fireworks its not the end of the world if you dont get one, if someones selling them for a few silver no need to get jealous lol

i dont search near starter towns or even after they get spawned and i usually end up with a bunch i give away, leave deed and explore instead of complaining on the forums

• Like 2

I like the idea of having to search for them. I love to travel and explore, its one of my favorite things to do in game. Apart from the occasional Source Spring and the very rare and very random Unique you might find there really isn't a lot of reward for exploring. I found those boxes weeks after new years, just gotta get out there and look for them :)

And as for people not having the time to search, I could say I don't have the time to grind skills. Should I just get skill gains given to me because I choose to spend my time in game differently than others?

Edited by Kementari

Haha, funny update! 

[16:53:42] You get an Auld Lang Syne.

uGxJZjF.png

1 hour ago, Archaed said:

Haha, funny update! 

[16:53:42] You get an Auld Lang Syne.

uGxJZjF.png

Yea I found one just a few months ago. Very remote.