Sign in to follow this  
DevBlog

Patch Notes 21/OCT/2021

Change: Tweaks to mixing dye

• Color components that are equal in each dye will never be changed in the result. In other words, two dyes with the same amount of red will result in mixed dye with that same amount of red regardless of quality level.
  • Color components that are not equal in each dye will always result in a change in the final product, rounding toward grey (128). In other words, if 1g of RGB 200,200,200 dye is mixed into 10,000L of RGB 1,1,1 dye, the resulting dye will be RGB 2,2,2. This is a special case only applied when the change would have otherwise rounded to nothing, such as when mixing vastly different quantities of dye.
  • Color mixing is rounded to whole values later in the calculation, resulting in increased accuracy of mixing in certain cases.
  • Like 6
  • Cat 1

As a dye witch, these look like sensible changes that prevent some very edge-case abuses - namely, using high ql dye to improve the RGB  values of low ql dye; as well as improving low ql dye to high ql dye by using a large reservoir of high ql dye.

Going to head to the Transmutation Hut to get a handle on that third bullet point, but it sounds like an improvement as well!    I'm desperately curious to know what events led to these specific tweaks of course, but it's ultimately an idle curiosity.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Sidereal said:

I'm desperately curious to know what events led to these specific tweaks of course, but it's ultimately an idle curiosity.

Let me sate that curiosity for you. I used this dye making method to make myself l what I called my personal "lifetime supply of dye". I know of other people who used it but I'm not here to out people who don't want to get outed. It was a process more tedious than panfilling and took quite a lot of time.

I've been publically open with this multiple times on many different medias, including the factional fights live stream. Here's a vod where I show off my "lifetime supply of dye" as well as explain in chat how it was done a while ago:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1157443411?t=03h47m51s

GM's confiscated my dye. AMA

Edited by Borstaskor
  • Like 2

On 10/21/2021 at 10:54 PM, DevBlog said:

Color components that are equal in each dye will never be changed in the result. In other words, two dyes with the same amount of red will result in mixed dye with that same amount of red regardless of quality level.

Oh, Platyna will be pleased.  No, hang on, the torch & pitchfork mob had her railroaded.  

On 10/23/2021 at 3:06 AM, Borstaskor said:

GM's confiscated my dye. AMA

Apparently after years of open use, it was deemed a bug exploit.  Supplies were tracked down and confiscated - I wonder if it was considered worth the effort.

• Like 1

This is on NFI, which from what I've heard, was released after the fix. I thought things worked as intended. If I thought it was an exploit, i would obviously not be as blatantly open with showing people my dye stash.

I got a lot of fun from being able do dye stuff quite freely, and I do have 90 natsub so it's not like I couldn't make dye without this method.

Was it worth the effort? If I hadn't lost dye, definitely. Now? Eeh, kinda still.

On 10/21/2021 at 8:54 AM, DevBlog said:

Color components that are not equal in each dye will always result in a change in the final product, rounding toward grey (128). In other words, if 1g of RGB 200,200,200 dye is mixed into 10,000L of RGB 1,1,1 dye, the resulting dye will be RGB 2,2,2. This is a special case only applied when the change would have otherwise rounded to nothing, such as when mixing vastly different quantities of dye.

Although I understand the reason behind this change, I've encountered an unfortunate side effect: when made in quantity, the RGB value of a dye will diverge from the quality of the dye itself.

When mixing up large quantities of dye, my process looks like so:

1. Mix 1 dye creating item (iron) with 1kg of liquid (tannin)
  2. Bucket the 1kg outputs in barrels in intervals of 10: all dye results between 70-79ql go into one barrel, all dye results between 80-89ql go into another barrel, and so on
  3. This change drives the entire barrel to the RGB of the lowest value of the bucket.  Example, I have a barrel of 93ql black dye that would normally be RGB 7/7/7, but is diluted down to 10/10/10 because of the lowest ql elements added to the bucket.

Instead of dye groups averaging out to their midpoint - 75ql for a 70-79ql bucket - dye groups now average out to their lowest common denominator: 70 for a 70-79ql bucket, 80 for an 80-89ql bucket, etc.

I suppose the player-side fix for the moment is tighter bucketing: breaking results out into 5ql increments (or even 1ql increments - but that just feels particularly fussy).

I still support the reason for this change, but the non-intuitive takeaway is to bucket by the worst/lowest RGB value instead of the average - which is completely different from how every other item behaves in game.

Edited by Sidereal

Ql is completely irrelevant to rgb, once its mixed or altered in any way. Moving towards the average is what it did before, and what the problem was

On 12/3/2021 at 1:47 AM, Archaed said:

Ql is completely irrelevant to rgb, once its mixed or altered in any way. Moving towards the average is what it did before, and what the problem was

You are completely right of course.  My muddled example was conflating dye QL as a proxy for RGB value.   Prior to this tweak, QL was a viable proxy for RGB but as you point out has been updated for necessary reasons and can be compensated for with just a slight change to the dye making process.

My good sir, I believe you are mistaken.  Although I have read the Black Tome of Magic, I am but a mere Witch.  I only wished to acknowledge the truth of @Archaed's reply prior to describing my consternation at the fact that my cauldons of dye continue to misbehave.  Possibly a result of Jackal's influence?  It is unclear, but I am determined to get to the bottom of this matter.

I remain, very respectfully, your Dye Witch
Auntie Sid

Edited by Sidereal
typos >.<
  • Like 2

Sign in to follow this