Sign in to follow this  
McGarnicle

Increase the length of the Ripe Stage

My suggestion is to increase the length of the ripe stage by about 3x to accommodate people’s play time. As it is, if a player misses the ripe stage by a day or two is very detrimental to their crops, especially in large planters.

Edited by McGarnicle
  • Like 12

sure, bring on those quality of life updates you promised Kenan.

Edited by Tpikol
  • Like 1

also lets remove all decaying of items on a deed with more than 30 days of upkeep, excluding food, perishables and some drinks, my archeology shards decaying on deed slowly and other misc stuff shouldn't be a thing at all if I am paying for a deed with upkeep

• Like 5

I do not see any problems implementing this. This would be useful for alot of players  so +1 from me

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Jeston said:

also lets remove all decaying of items on a deed with more than 30 days of upkeep, excluding food, perishables and some drinks, my archeology shards decaying on deed slowly and other misc stuff shouldn't be a thing at all if I am paying for a deed with upkeep

Exactly. I don't see how metal weapon(heads) and other archaeology items  take damage while inside a chest, the chest inside my house and the house on an active deed. 

• Like 1

+1 on increasing the ripe stage, and on the completely unrelated decay hijacking

+1 to OP's suggestion.

The hardcores will harvest asap anyway, so they'll still have an advantage, which is fine. This change would make farming not a punishing skill for more casual players (or players whose ocd would tell them to wait until all crops are harvestable to sync the replant).

Edited by Borstaskor
  • Like 1

Honestly, I'm not even sure if making the ripe stage infinitely long is overpowered.. It'd open up a lot of opportunity for decoration, both for ground planting and large planters and a ton of opportunity for players of all casual levels to do farming.

Edited by Borstaskor

either that or bring back the old way fields used to grow.. where once you plant it all at one time.. it is ready at the same time.. at most it's completely ready on the day after.. in full.. now it's partially done.. partially not... and forces tending/harvesting/sowing at different times and places constantly.. or part of it starts to convert into weeds

+1 to longer ripe stage

-1 to indefinite ripeness, don't ruin the almanac business.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Trake said:

+1 to longer ripe stage

-1 to indefinite ripeness, don't ruin the almanac business.

As someone who's never done any forestry/almanac related stuff and things and don't know how it works, how is farming related to that? :o

I think that a longer stage would be useful. Indefinite would also ruin the development into withered fields, with its chance to harvest one seed for replant. I always liked this feature and experience, and would loathe it being ruined by sheer laziness and neglect.

Edit: If that would not be too tedious to implement, I could even imagine a gradual loss of quantity and quality of the harvest. Instead of "You realize you have harvested in perfect time. The harvest is in top quality" maybe 2 days after "perfect time" some yield loss, then yield and ql loss before withered, with according messages, e.g. "You realize that the harvest is becoming overripe. Some seems to be lost", ".. that the harvest is withering. Some is gone, and some lost quality".

Edited by Ekcin
  • Like 1

So I don't want to leave folks hanging on this.

I tried hard to find a way to make this happen for the 28th, but it's actually a much bigger change than I anticipated.

We'll have to discuss internally for a good solution given that we're at a pretty hard limit right now in terms of what we can do to extend just the last ripe stage.

• Like 7

Thanks Keenan for looking into this! I appreciate the effort and communication.

• Like 2

On 10/27/2021 at 12:29 AM, Keenan said:

So I don't want to leave folks hanging on this.

I tried hard to find a way to make this happen for the 28th, but it's actually a much bigger change than I anticipated.

We'll have to discuss internally for a good solution given that we're at a pretty hard limit right now in terms of what we can do to extend just the last ripe stage.

I'd prefer it to be done right with thought behind it rather than being rushed. Sounds like the correct decision to me. 👍

• Like 1

I haven't looked at the code for crops, but I assume each stage is set up to take roughly the same time, or each stage is given the same chance to progress to the next. If we can't override the length of the last ripe stage, then is it possible to insert more ripe stages?  They can look the same graphically and perform the same way, but if you added 3 more ripe stages (before weeds), this might allow the majority of the crop to last across 2 weekends from sowing to harvesting.  Just a thunk.

If on the other hand the number of crop stages is set in stone, perhaps at the weed stage the crops could then be set back a stage (like the grazing effect) to the last ripe stage, until harvested or a set timer, or number of 'setting back' events.

Another idea is to auto-replant the crop at the weeds stage (like trees) producing a completely new crop, but possibly starting the new crop at a ripe stage (rather than seeds) with its yield total value carried over.

Thanks for all you are doing :)

Edited by Muse