Sign in to follow this  
Nicholai

Foundry

Here I am making a couple thousand frying pans...

For the hardcore smith that needs LOTS of lumps and project storage space, I propose a new item, the Foundry.

Much like the Bulk Storage Unit combining BSB's, the Foundry would combine 4 forges and 2 smelters, with the Foundry itself with a capacity of 94 items, acting the same as a forge.

A size of 1x2 would make sense?   Add to crafting window would be the same as activating a large anvil.  Selective lighting of each internal forge or smelter would allow one to have that cooling forge on hand as well.

I think this would be a great addition that would allow one to smelt massive amounts of ore, then work on those already glowing lumps.

Metallurgists would benefit as well, having the various lumps on hand for those long grinds.

Thoughts?

P.S.:  This as well! 

Edited by Nicholai
  • Like 12

+1 Amazing idea!!!! And it will be another masonry thing for me to imp :D

• Like 1

I do like the promise of this idea. Would it combine all 4 forges and 2 smelters into one "block" like a Bulk Container unit does with BSBs, or just one combined window?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, neopherus said:

I do like the promise of this idea. Would it combine all 4 forges and 2 smelters into one "block" like a Bulk Container unit does with BSBs, or just one combined window?

That's the idea.  One window like a Bulk Container Unit.  Would eliminate the awkward positioning of smelters (one per tile) and the forges, making a tight, organized workstation.

• Like 1

yeah, that's a good idea. +1

Edited by DaletheGood
oops
  • Like 1

Sorry, I don't like it.  It is only really a QoL enhancement for minmaxing, especially the notion of having a massive furnace with an integral refrigeration unit, all to enhance bulk grind.  There seems to be a suggestion that these will also integrate anvil functions as well. What that is suggesting is not actually a foundry but an ironworks.  Foundries generally produced cast items, not forged items.  Given the notional time period / tech level of Wurm an industrial stand-alone factory foundry in one object is way too advanced as a technology - we don't even have those right now.  We certainly don't have something that can achieve crucible temperature within a few feet of something that can instantly drop glowing metal to room temperature.

The game already allows for a foundry - just that you have to actually build the components for different parts of the process.  Yes, there is a need to limit the number of furnaces on a tile - rightly so.

If perhaps you were to be proposing a different kind of metal-working furnace, that produces cast items - i.e. can't be improved - then I could get behind that.

Likewise, I would like the idea of a large crucible that could be placed in a smelter/forge to create larger quantities of alloy.  Throw in quantities of lumps and let the process turn them into alloy lumps - a bit like a smelter turns ore into pure lumps.

Not that it would affect me much as it is something I simply wouldn't use.  True, I don't like it, but I wouldn't care much if other people used it - any more than I care about people spamming thousands of items to get rares.

Thank you, TheTrickster for your input. 

While writing my suggestion I did consider the functions of a RL foundry, but of course pumping out ribbons or other items at an accelerated rate would have no benefit overall.  At least not to anyone other than the operator.

Try to think of it as the ultimate smithing station.  Everything you need in the immediate vicinity.  Sure, you will need a nearby crate rack and an ensemble of BSB's, but I think it will make a neater, more organized work area.

Ignore the semantics of the name "Foundry".   Or, what would you call it?

Edited by Nicholai

5 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

It is only really a QoL enhancement for minmaxing

Can't really agree with you there. It would be a massive qol improvement for smiths such as myself. Especially when I want to make some gold / silver items and find myself in the position of having to smelt 2000 pieces of ore. I don't really want to make 20 smelters. I'd rather just stick to what I have atm. 

But minmaxing? It's like saying "plot course" on ships min max navigation in Wurm. Nope, people just don't like wasting hours of their life looking at far away pixels on the ocean. 

Or saying that the crafting window was about minmaxing actions. Wrong again, it just streamlined a process that took way too many steps and right clicks to do. It was a brilliant addition to Wurm. 

Or that smelters mixmaxed ore smelting. Because having 10 lit forges to smelt 1000s of pieces of iron was a fun mechanic. 

A foundry, such as OP suggested would simply reduce space and allow us to really feel we've upgraded our workstations when we become better smiths and overall play more efficiently. 

Imho anything that reduces the "chore" aspect of dragging, selecting, rightclicking, inputing numbers, moving, dropping, taking items in game is a massive boost to gameplay. 

Adding to OP's suggestion, I'd also implement the "kiln" into the foundry so it becomes a one stop for smiths, potters and crafters. Sure it would probably require high masonry and have a high failure rate to attach items (smelters aren't easy to make either) but it would feel like a beautiful upgrade. And the best part is that we could use the pre-existing crafted items we already have such as smelters, forges, kilns. 

• Like 1

I have no dog in this fight.  I won't argue with those obviously more experienced in such matters.  Just consider it my outsider's perspective.

I rarely use a forge/do any smithing but this seems a good addition for those who do.

Especially having the possibility to have marble/slate/etc forges like Tukodama mentioned.

+1 to both suggestions

Nice idea. +1

Wondering how we'd manage the integration of rare with it too. By exemple, if we add a rare forge, does the "Foundry" automatically become rare like with archaeology, or would it be like anything else and be divided by amount of components?

And if we ever have other kind of forges, etc (slate, sandstone...), maybe it'll turn into a slate "foundry" if we add a slate forge last? like the wood color works.

• Like 1

this is a really good idea, its a real pain with so many forges, working with 3-4 forges at the time is not uncommen and it would be alot easier to collect them in one window.

A waste of dev time for what it offers. Mostly some buffs that imo shouldn't be implemented. (I want crates with 900 capacity and 3x faster item transfer from crate to crate)

Starting to think that rustblade just runs around following stinboi to nay say 🤔

• Like 1

Might as well add the new buildable monument structure called "factory". Would require 10 times the amount of materials to complete than a colossus, but it would act like massive container to dump all the raw materials, like metal/rock shards, felled trees etc. Then right clicking the unit and setting up the product output it would produce, so like eg we dump 100 felled trees in and next day we pick up 1000 planks etc. Would be awesome.

Bonus points if we could capture and enslave fellow wurmians.. Enslaving them by a combat, would mean that when they log into the game they literally cannot do anything for 24 hours game play time and then they are released from slavery. Each slave in the factory results in 10% produce increase!

Edited by Skatyna
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Captain said:

Starting to think that rustblade just runs around following stinboi to nay say 🤔

Starting to think that you are trying to bully and silence me, so kindly go bother someone else, you annoying little fly.

And I won't ask for your permission or anyone's else in order to express my opinions. Now scram.

Edit: You either agree or disagree with a proposal, that's a 50% for either, but instead of reason you chose to spill venom.

Edited by Rustblade

Well since your allowed so am I thus logically your telling me to scram is censoring of me..bit hypocritical there buddy.  Also you might want to reread some of your own posts your venom is potent as well. 

+1 to the op suggestion

28 minutes ago, Captain said:

Well since your allowed so am I thus logically your telling me to scram is censoring of me..bit hypocritical there buddy.  Also you might want to reread some of your own posts your venom is potent as well. 

The bully complains about censorship and hypocrisy! And then resorts to slander.

How cute.

Edited by Rustblade
wording