Sign in to follow this  
Darnok

Remove skill cap on free accounts

1 hour ago, Yaga said:

What if you were premium for 10+ years and play a well developed character - and you accidentally let your premium run out for a few days? 

Terrible idea! - 1

Then, if you are unlucky enough to die  - or because you are accustomed to premium and not thinking about the jeopardy, you go on a unique kill, or play lawn darts, your 10+ years invested into character development would be wiped out completely.  You woulld then likely rage quit, and come to the fora and complain bitterly and wind up banned and then you would hate the game and anyone officially associated with it for a very long time.  Wurm would have become a weird kind of ransomware.

• Like 1

Or be just unlucky enough for a server to crash or massively lag (not like we've ever had those happen right?) while you're on a cart with 3 trolls chasing you. You login to the red screen of deletion.

At this point i think darnok should just use his suggestions to build his own boardgames, he clearly has ideas for mechanics, they don't work for wurm.

Either that or he's Rolf secretly trolling us. 

-1 for the suggestion anyway

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Yaga said:

What if you were premium for 10+ years and play a well developed character - and you accidentally let your premium run out for a few days? 

Terrible idea, Darnok!

Wait I thought a large text appears in the center of screen that reminds player week before premium expires???

Additionally, you can add a status that would inform player what type of account is currently valid for him.

2 hours ago, elentari said:

Or be just unlucky enough for a server to crash or massively lag (not like we've ever had those happen right?) while you're on a cart with 3 trolls chasing you. You login to the red screen of deletion.

At this point i think darnok should just use his suggestions to build his own boardgames, he clearly has ideas for mechanics, they don't work for wurm.

Either that or he's Rolf secretly trolling us. 

-1 for the suggestion anyway

I think I had a similar situation and I didn't die, character just logged out during combat and mobs that were fighting with me were also alive.

edit:

Additionally there may be a mechanism to reward premium players in such a way that a character, even after premium expires, does not reset their character to level 1.
For each year of paying premium, player will receive +10 level, to which they will be reset.

So after 10 years you will not lose anything, because protection is up to 100 skill level.
After 9 years of paying premium, if your character dies as a free account, your skills will drop to the minimum level of 90.

After 8 years, minimum 80 skill level... etc.

Edited by Darnok

+1 to removing, or upping, the free player skillcap
-1 to massive and horrific skill loss

• Like 1

So... players who, for example, spend all day casting spells, or improving weapons, and are thus at no risk of dying, would never need to pay premium.

Interesting.

I'm sure that there are quite a few people who would love the idea. Enough, in fact, for it to impact the company's profit and loss figures. And not in a good way.

TL/DR:

Developing, supporting, and hosting a free-to-play roguelike MMORPG is a really terrible business model.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sheffie said:

So... players who, for example, spend all day casting spells, or improving weapons, and are thus at no risk of dying, would never need to pay premium.

This.  Hiding away a slew of alts to support your mortar / concrete / (insert other valuable production)....  no thanks.  Competing with the botters is hard enough as it is.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Sheffie said:

Interesting.

I'm sure that there are quite a few people who would love the idea. Enough, in fact, for it to impact the company's profit and loss figures. And not in a good way.

TL/DR:

Developing, supporting, and hosting a free-to-play roguelike MMORPG is a really terrible business model.

You missed part of idea 😉
"Make PvE harder, add more threats so that players would die more often. "

On 10/18/2021 at 3:24 PM, Darnok said:

You missed part of idea 😉
"Make PvE harder, add more threats so that players would die more often. "

Heart attack? Meteor strike? Dragon attacking buildings on deed?

Tell me more about how you plan to make the game more appealing and more rewarding for players.

I agree to Etherdrifter. Making the game more attractive to f2p players, not only as a short transitional stage, would make sense.  The suggestion of the OP is braindead as always and does not deserve comment.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sheffie said:

Heart attack? Meteor strike? Dragon attacking buildings on deed?

Tell me more about how you plan to make the game more appealing and more rewarding for players.

One of my ideas was bandit camps, so such a camp at appropriate level could spawn NPCs that would attack players deeds, if on deed is character with skills above a certain skill level, I suggest 40 or 50, but it depends on how much more difficult game you want. An attack can only take place when a player from a given deed is online and for free accounts that can be reset after death it would be a real threat.

But game would be completely free to play, because it would only be up to the player how much he wanted to risk.

8 hours ago, Sheffie said:

By hitting them with frequent permadeath and making them re-roll their character over and over.

No, wait.....

• Like 1

How is this threat of impending doom going to translate into more premium subscriptions?  

Returning players, just wouldn't.

I think we need more carrots, less stick. :) 

• Like 2