Sign in to follow this  
Darnok

Remove skill cap on free accounts

Remove skill cap and other limits on free accounts, but make free characters mortal, that means if they die even once, it's over, player has to start from level 1.

Make PvE harder, add more threats so that players would die more often.

6 minutes ago, Arkonick said:

Not a good idea

5 minutes ago, brattygirl said:

Awful idea. -1 

This is a great idea. Thanks to this, the game will give the same possibilities for free characters, but when the character dies, their skills are reset to level 1.

Hundreds of gamers who are willing to risk will come to Wurm, when they reach a higher skill level, the risk will be so great for them that they will rather pay than lose skills.

I don't like the idea that OP suggested, however, I would love to see a removal JUST on religion caps so that we can have a second character dedicated to being a priest. So that if I wanted to work on my own casts I could, otherwise I'd have to purchase service on another toon (right?), and I just can't fathom doing that.

• Like 1

Yea i also think it is an interesting idea.

Edit:
Maybe not to 90 but a cap to 40 maybe?

Edited by SirEvo
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Darnok said:

This is a great idea. Thanks to this, the game will give the same possibilities for free characters, but when the character dies, their skills are reset to level 1.

Hundreds of gamers who are willing to risk will come to Wurm, when they reach a higher skill level, the risk will be so great for them that they will rather pay than lose skills.

What about the players that can't afford premium? And want to work hard to make some coin to get it. Just to die and loose everything they worked hard for?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, brattygirl said:

What about the players that can't afford premium? And want to work hard to make some coin to get it. Just to die and loose everything they worked hard for?

The free account currently has a max skill level of 20, so what's the problem?

20 levels from zero can be acquired fairly quickly and the character would not be deleted so your deed would still be yours.

In Diablo 2, players had the opportunity to play characters who could only die once and many decided to take such a risk, because for them it was a challenge to get as high as possible, and this fact alone encouraged them to play such a game.

Why would it be any different in Wurm?

Only some encouragement would be useful, for example, for those who cannot afford premium, if they are not on deed they could get more often inspiration that drops silver and there will be many willing to risk losing skills for silver 😄

6 minutes ago, Darnok said:

The free account currently has a max skill level of 20, so what's the problem?

20 levels from zero can be acquired fairly quickly and the character would not be deleted so your deed would still be yours.

In Diablo 2, players had the opportunity to play characters who could only die once and many decided to take such a risk, because for them it was a challenge to get as high as possible, and this fact alone encouraged them to play such a game.

Why would it be any different in Wurm?

Only some encouragement would be useful, for example, for those who cannot afford premium, if they are not on deed they could get more often inspiration that drops silver and there will be many willing to risk losing skills for silver 😄

I meant skill wise......

You really need to play PvP to understand why this is probably the worst idea you have suggested thus far.

• Like 5

i bet if i start trolling the forums this badly and often i would get banned.

• Like 11

this is amazing suggestion, for a private wu server, I see only one problem

17 minutes ago, Tpikol said:

Yeah, i got warned because I was less than kind about him and his suggestions, wonder if he did for making my every trip to this forum a nightmare. And no Darnok, I don't like your idea, it's downright terrible, so -1. Won't say what I really truly think, don't want to feel the ban hammer, but trust me, it's not complimentary :)

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Tpikol said:

I have 0 doubts in my mind these are not genuine suggestions anymore.

• Like 3

I get my comments randomly removed even if i dont insult him, just state how terrible his suggestions are. 

I'm ok with it considering a lot of people here are like "Your skills cap at 20 and that's a lot" Like not really, not when majority of the game needs level 21 to do things in, your core stats start off at 19 thus you can't even do most things other than just craft. I'm +1 this idea.

4 hours ago, Darnok said:

Remove skill cap and other limits on free accounts, but make free characters mortal, that means if they die even once, it's over, player has to start from level 1.

Make PvE harder, add more threats so that players would die more often.

Sounds like u need more pvp in your life

Disclaimer: I won't be un-ignoring again, so I am interpolating based on quotes and responses.  It seems that the suggestion is to switch out skill-cap for permadeath on free accounts.

Wurm seems to be built on the premise that a character will die, possibly quite a lot, particularly early on.  In my first day or two of Wurm, I died at least 5 times.  If I had to re-do my character's appearance (and only that) every time I died, I would not have done it after even the first death.  This mechanic would drive toe-dippers away in droves and make Wurm a complete joke.

I am an explorer and adventurer; not a hardcore builder or weapon smith or <shudder> min/max grinder. As a result, a lot of what I do in Wurm does nothing for any skill or attribute gain.  By the time I started to bump into the free player skill limit, I already had a very good idea of Wurm's gameplay and what it offered me.  Sure, I think there is scope to improve the free-play experience,  but switching out skill limit for perma-death is not "improving" anything - it would be a terrible and foolish move.  I know that to me it would feel extremely cynical and money-hungry and I would just uninstall such a game in short order.  It would pretty much cap Wurm's player base at pre-existing players.

Consider the case of an account that has been premium for years-on-end but for financial reasons a player has had to let premium lapse for a brief period.  They would be better off not playing at all rather than playing non-premium and risking their long-developed character to permadeath should they play and somehow wind up getting their character killed.  A game which incentivizes not playing is the antithesis of good game design (insert Wargames quote here).

Edited by TheTrickster
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

Disclaimer: I won't be un-ignoring again, so I am interpolating based on quotes and responses.  It seems that the suggestion is to switch out skill-cap for permadeath on free accounts.

Wurm seems to be built on the premise that a character will die, possibly quite a lot, particularly early on.  In my first day or two of Wurm, I died at least 5 times.  If I had to re-do my character's appearance (and only that) every time I died, I would not have done it after even the first death.  This mechanic would drive toe-dippers away in droves and make Wurm a complete joke.

I am an explorer and adventurer; not a hardcore builder or weapon smith or <shudder> min/max grinder. As a result, a lot of what I do in Wurm does nothing for any skill or attribute gain.  By the time I started to bump into the free player skill limit, I already had a very good idea of Wurm's gameplay and what it offered me.  Sure, I think there is scope to improve the free-play experience,  but switching out skill limit for perma-death is not "improving" anything - it would be a terrible and foolish move.  I know that to me it would feel extremely cynical and money-hungry and I would just uninstall such a game in short order.  It would pretty much cap Wurm's player base at pre-existing players.

Consider the case of an account that has been premium for years-on-end but for financial reasons a player has had to let premium lapse for a brief period.  They would be better off not playing at all rather than playing non-premium and risking their long-developed character to permadeath should they play and somehow wind up getting their character killed.  A game which incentivizes not playing is the antithesis of good game design (insert Wargames quote here).

Permadeath is an interesting concept, but I think a skill reset to level 1 will be enough in this case.

Everyone is biased, so I would suggest experimenting and adding a third type of account - free with no restrictions, but with the disadvantage of resetting skills to level 1 when character dies.

Advertise Wurm as a game that allows the player to reach max level even on a free account and we will see which type of free account will be more popular.

6 hours ago, Trash said:

Sounds like u need more pvp in your life

Very gladly, but after update with improvements for PvP I suggested 🙂

Edited by Darnok

What if you were premium for 10+ years and play a well developed character - and you accidentally let your premium run out for a few days? 

Terrible idea, Darnok!

• Like 3

Not a good idea and neither is removing skill caps or changing them for a free to play account.

• Like 2