Sign in to follow this  
Darnok

Quality of trees

I like the fact that we can plant many different species of trees and bushes, but I don't like the fact that every tree ql is 100 and logs ql depends only on level of WC skill.
In my opinion quality of "wild" trees should be random 1-30 and with a WC skill even at 100, player should not be able to collect logs of higher quality than ql of tree.

Player should be able to collect sprout with a quality that is 5-10 higher than quality of tree, if of course he have appropriate level of forestry skill. After tree is planted, it will have ql equal to sprout quality used by player.

In this way, it would take some time to grow a forest of 100 ql trees and prices of 100 ql sprouts and wood would be quite high and players planting lots of high ql trees would need quite large deeds.

How does this benefit players? In your past suggestions you have complained about players deeding too much land and taking over all the resources in an area. Now you are suggesting that players make giant deeds to farm 100ql trees. This would drive the price of wood through the roof. And all the players that have supplies of 90ql+ logs would make a killing. Big -1 to this idea. I do not see this benefitting the community at all.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, brattygirl said:

How does this benefit players? In your past suggestions you have complained about players deeding too much land and taking over all the resources in an area. Now you are suggesting that players make giant deeds to farm 100ql trees. This would drive the price of wood through the roof. And all the players that have supplies of 90ql+ logs would make a killing. Big -1 to this idea. I do not see this benefitting the community at all.

Not exactly, I complained that players are occupying an area that they don't use/need and that deeds are too expensive compared to value of the resources that can be grown on it.

This idea would give them something to focus on, thus freeing up resources (land) that they don't use for anything other than deeding for the sake of capturing.

The point is that wood should have greater value. Metal veins are limited, but we can plant trees endlessly and they grow by themselves. The fact that finding veins 100ql is not that simple is one of things that makes metal valuable.

Problem with trees is that almost every tree is 100 ql if you have 100 WC, so wood loses its value quickly over longer period of time. With this idea, it would lose value more slowly and on PvP maps it is impossible to log out together with the 100 ql trees, so... 😄

There are players who enjoy breeding horses, which takes a long time, so maybe there would be some players who would like to create a tree farm where they grow 100ql trees for several generations and the profit comes after a few months.

And to grow a lot of 100 ql trees and cut 100 ql logs, you would need not only a WC and forestry of 100 level, but also time, as some species of trees grow quite slowly, which would keep players busy for weeks and regardless of whether someone is a no-life or an average player, he would have similar chances in this race for late game content.

Edited by Darnok

8 minutes ago, Darnok said:

Problem with trees is that almost every tree is 100 ql if you have 100 WC

with 97 woodcutting and a 95ql supreme hatchet my average tree ql is 80ish, and then chopping them all into logs drops the average quality again, so not sure where you're getting this idea from. are you 100 woodcutting?

21 minutes ago, Darnok said:

so wood loses its value quickly over longer period of time

quick look at merchant ads and trade chat posts on both servers shows that 95+ql logs sell for more than 95+ql lumps so dunno bout this guess chief

19 minutes ago, Darnok said:

The fact that finding veins 100ql is not that simple is one of things that makes metal valuable.

100ql veins don't exist, are you throwing out expectations of how you think things work again

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Darnok said:

I like the fact that we can plant many different species of trees and bushes, but I don't like the fact that every tree ql is 100 and logs ql depends only on level of WC skill.
In my opinion quality of "wild" trees should be random 1-30 and with a WC skill even at 100, player should not be able to collect logs of higher quality than ql of tree.

Player should be able to collect sprout with a quality that is 5-10 higher than quality of tree, if of course he have appropriate level of forestry skill. After tree is planted, it will have ql equal to sprout quality used by player.

In this way, it would take some time to grow a forest of 100 ql trees and prices of 100 ql sprouts and wood would be quite high and players planting lots of high ql trees would need quite large deeds.

DONT WORRY DUDE.. WE GOT THIS NERF COVERED

you have no idea how bad woodcutting is.. at 99woodcutting I get completely ridiculed when I try to cut a tree with 99 skill and runed rare hatchet ql95(lazy to imp higher), it's pointless anyway

(mods, not trolling, there are several bug reports on woodcutting and ql of chopped logs and reroll mechanic for rolls over 100..)

Edited by Finnn
  • Like 2

Nope, not seeing how that would benefit anyone at all, sorry.  It's already a pain in the butt getting high ql wood, and those of us really trying to get woodcutting up for decent logs would get completely screwed by that change.  Tree ql is what it is.  They take damage very quickly, so if you cut, you need to use it promptly or it starts decaying.  To me, that helps mitigate the "too much of a good thing" attitude this is implying.

And trees are a renewable resource, so it's not like we'll run out.  Ores are more of a danger of running out, as they don't "grow" like trees.  I'd rather have focus on skills than changing QL of resources...

9 hours ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

with 97 woodcutting and a 95ql supreme hatchet my average tree ql is 80ish, and then chopping them all into logs drops the average quality again

And? You have almost unlimited supply of 100ql trees, so you can get as many 100ql logs as you want each day.

9 hours ago, Finnn said:

DONT WORRY DUDE.. WE GOT THIS NERF COVERED

you have no idea how bad woodcutting is.. at 99woodcutting I get completely ridiculed when I try to cut a tree with 99 skill and runed rare hatchet ql95(lazy to imp higher), it's pointless anyway

(mods, not trolling, there are several bug reports on woodcutting and ql of chopped logs and reroll mechanic for rolls over 100..)

So after adding this idea Devs could make leveling WC easier, and maybe also improve the chance of achieving max ql of logs if ql of tree would limit you?

8 hours ago, Trash said:

what about dirt then?

I was thinking of something similar for metal veins. At the beginning of map, each vein should have a ql cap e.g. 30.

With each subsequent Wurm year this cap would be increased by some value e.g. +10, thus Devs could determine the exact date when players can access mid and late game content and in the case of both average and advanced players it would be exactly same day.

A similar global/map quality cap could be for dirt, sand, clay, tar, stone shards...

---

I once wrote that new maps should appear more often and you all criticized me, so if the content on map is to be for years, there should be a limit to the speed of map development, so that getting 100 ql materials requires more time, but for everyone equally. Right now limitation is mainly for average player, while no-life with few alt accounts can get few types of 100 ql materials in a month.

Edited by Darnok

19 minutes ago, Darnok said:

And? You have almost unlimited supply of 100ql trees, so you can get as many 100ql logs as you want each day.

After a few weeks of not seeing any suggestions I forgot you're a total mouthbreather, my mistake. Carry on.

• Like 6

263a0c53e30ea921b21ded9979f2f132.png

How many do you imagine farm ql100 trees all day long?

How many actually are at all able to cut ql99 or 100 at ridiculous rates.. 1 log per tree if rng gives top ql felled..

Do you read what people type or you get straight to trolling for laughs?

There's actual problem where people with high skill get completely rickrolled by woodcutting skill and gather trash ql logs FAR BELOW their skill, skilling up high actually penalize you, and there was a nert to woodcutting runes and imbue effects at high ql - so you need high skill to get high ql logs.. you get the idea... two things working against you..

2 hours ago, Darnok said:

So after adding this idea Devs could make leveling WC easier, and maybe also improve the chance of achieving max ql of logs if ql of tree would limit you?

You have no idea how things work...

You don't even know...

What you wrote there is a meme.

• Like 3

TL/DR: suggestion was destroyed by people who seem to know what they're talking about

• Like 2

On 10/16/2021 at 10:57 AM, Finnn said:

263a0c53e30ea921b21ded9979f2f132.png

How many do you imagine farm ql100 trees all day long?

You just cut dozens or hundreds of trees... with the current mechanism you will get as many logs in quality you need as you want, because every tree is 100ql.

22 hours ago, Sheffie said:

TL/DR: suggestion was destroyed by people who seem to know what they're talking about

Keep repeating it to yourself if it makes you feel better 🙂

On 10/16/2021 at 7:52 AM, Oblivionnreaver said:

After a few weeks of not seeing any suggestions I forgot you're a total mouthbreather, my mistake. Carry on.

It was a truly blissful time. The subforum was healing.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Darnok said:

works for you i see

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Darnok said:

You just cut dozens or hundreds of trees... with the current mechanism you will get as many logs in quality you need as you want, because every tree is 100ql

Every tree may be 100ql, but that doesn’t mean that every tree cut down will end up being 100ql. Even if you have 100WC. I’m at 93 using a supreme fully imbued hatchet, and i still end up with mostly <90ql logs. 

No, you’re not. Didn’t you hear what Darnok said? You’re getting 100ql trees. Please catch up.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Darnok said:

You just cut dozens or hundreds of trees... with the current mechanism you will get as many logs in quality you need as you want, because every tree is 100ql.

I'm in position 10 there..

Where are you, who is your source about how things work and who gets what kind of ql during their grind to 100?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brattygirl said:

Every tree may be 100ql, but that doesn’t mean that every tree cut down will end up being 100ql. Even if you have 100WC. I’m at 93 using a supreme fully imbued hatchet, and i still end up with mostly <90ql logs. 

I know how it works, over a year ago I started leveling WC, but saw what ql logs are selling by some advanced players and it discouraged me from leveling this skill further.

Playing one character, I had no chance with someone who played with few alts and one alt only cut trees all the time, and others did other jobs.

If quality of the trees were a limitation, even very experienced players would not be able to sell high quality logs too quickly, because the game would restrict such a player and the fact that he had a higher skill level would give him nothing. We would both sell logs of the same quality.

On 10/15/2021 at 9:36 PM, Darnok said:

Metal veins are limited, but we can plant trees endlessly and they grow by themselves. The fact that finding veins 100ql is not that simple is one of things that makes metal valuable.

Hmm... if only there was an item that could create any 99ql vein (100.00ql vein doesn't exist) with 10k ore in them

Oh wait... 

Edited by atazs
  • Like 3

You know, I read these threads and I realise that people didn't hate my suggestions as much as I thought!  I don't think even my heavily pro-priest suggestions garnered this much negative feedback!

Either way, this idea isn't adding QoL, it isn't bringing anything to the game except more chores and land grabs, and it isn't nerfing something that needs nerfing.

-1 from me

• Like 2