Sign in to follow this  
Madnath

Change different UI elements to make them not bad

Part of the reason we got the new UI was because Ironwood scaled very poorly with higher resolution monitors. However all this time later, we're still left with some very rubbish menus.

Culprit 1 (possible bug): Signed papyrus sheets

EGlzQvI.png

Culprit 2: rift point store

9pwuG2i.gif

Minor one: Marks store text overlapping

kOo9uGd.png

I can't remember if there's more, as much as I'm sure there are.

If you can find or name more, please post them here!

Before you post saying "This should be a bug report"

I specifically chose a suggestion thread as this isn't really a bug in the UI. I'm suggesting they're changed because they functionally don't work well. I think this is more an oversight than it is an actual bug. If a mod disagrees, feel free to move it and change the title to something more fitting or something.

Edited by Madnath
  • Like 10

i can think of one more, the building management screens default size doesnt fit the demolish option. everytime you open it you have to expand it to see demolish, which leads to many new players not even knowing that its an option.

• Like 3

I spent tonight working on a way to congratulate everyone's contributions towards the NFC Impalong 2021.  Unfortunately, the first page in the book I was writing is what you see above denoted as, "Culprit 1".  I was using 1440p screen.  I had to scrap the project.

It would be awesome if the books in this game were presented as actual books with a medieval-font applied to them.  I can give examples if needed.

• Like 4

while we're on, can we get the ability to change the color of the text used in village/pm tabs. The pale green isn't the best, and I'd like to be able to change it to a color I personally find easier to read, like blue.

I'd want them to put the column you click to unbrand animals next to their name (to the left of it, maybe?), instead of super far to the right. It takes too much mental energy to try to unbrand animals through the menu and to try to not unbrand the incorrect animal.

If we're on the topic of UI can we get the toolbelt saved when we transfer Epic <> Freedom? Constantly having to redrag items into toolbelt is annoying after a few years. 

Or the Animal window. Its horrible lets be honest. 

Trying to find anything there and/or trying to sort them based on any header is a real chore and you'll have to manually resize the window twice just so you can click on "tamed" and have the animals sorted based on tamed for example.

I don't wanna sh** on the dev(s) who designed that UI but if this was my frontend work on a project, my company would have fired me right away. 

+1

51 minutes ago, Berms said:

I don't wanna sh** on the dev(s) who designed that UI but if this was my frontend work on a project, my company would have fired me right away.

If you don't want it, why do you do it?

Madnath has explained quite well how the UI evolved from the original ironwood UI (which by the way was quite aesthetic and widely functional so no reason to badmouth it). Wurm graphics have gone a long way from begin of the millennium.

I worked for a while for one of the largest ERP system developers. Their system came from IBM mainframes, and the UI originally consisted of menus in a mainframe text based monitor. When migrating to Unix and also to Windows clients the UI of course changed a lot while much of the underlying multi tier architecture remained the same or underwent gradual changes. It took decades to remove all scars of the past (may not even be complete nowadays yet I lost track).

This is within a multi hundred million in not some billion professional software development with ten thousands if not more developers and system administrators. Don't you feel your comment bit arrogant?

btw +1 to the proposal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ekcin said:

If you don't want it, why do you do it?

Madnath has explained quite well how the UI evolved from the original ironwood UI (which by the way was quite aesthetic and widely functional so no reason to badmouth it). Wurm graphics have gone a long way from begin of the millennium.

I worked for a while for one of the largest ERP system developers. Their system came from IBM mainframes, and the UI originally consisted of menus in a mainframe text based monitor. When migrating to Unix and also to Windows clients the UI of course changed a lot while much of the underlying multi tier architecture remained the same or underwent gradual changes. It took decades to remove all scars of the past (may not even be complete nowadays yet I lost track).

This is within a multi hundred million in not some billion professional software development with ten thousands if not more developers and system administrators. Don't you feel your comment bit arrogant?

btw +1 to the proposal.

I don't think its arrogant at all when any paying customer wonders why UI (usually the first thing you see and notice) is still not upgraded after all these times and requests.

Especially if you look at much older threads asking for an upgrade for mail UI, animal window UI, Marks shop UI & etc. 

Ofcourse one can argue about the difficulty / urgency but a paying player is a paying customer and a paying customer should be allowed to critisize something he is paying for. 

The devs have done an amazing jobs on most parts and I respect that. 

Now it's time to get rid of small and ancient (UI) bugs many players have been asking for. 

Edited by Berms
  • Like 1

Yay \o/

• Bugfix: Fixed overlapping text and signature/button placement problems in inscription windows.

42 minutes ago, Fraskesa said:

Yay \o/

• Bugfix: Fixed overlapping text and signature/button placement problems in inscription windows.

One down, just a few to go...

• Like 2