Sign in to follow this  
Ltnicolas

The best Wurm-only OS?

I'M HAVING A BLAST SO FAR! Feels like if I have found "my Ultimate Game". So much that i want to dedicate a partition to it so as to have the best performance as possible.

So i'm looking for the best OS for it! So fai i'm considering Linux over Windows. (Specs: I7 4700MQ, nVidia 740M, HDD 5400RPM)

OBJECTIVES: Wurm Online-Centered OS. Maximum OpenGL performance. As Lightweight as possible, with few tools like a light browser (Chromium? Midori?), minimalistic DE.

TARGETS: Currently Lubuntu.Had some previous experience with it and liked it personally. I'm looking for "gamer OS" but i'm not sure how many "gaming ornaments" a gaming OS can have.

My linux knowledge is not horrible but certainly basic. I fare quite well with PC's in general and have (low-level) programming experience, so i have a glimpse of things. It's just that I don't know the more Linux-esque things.

EDIT1: forgot to mention the most important thing.. JAVA support/performance

EDIT2: Found out about Drauger OS: even has a particular low-latency kernel that gives less priorities to more mundane tasks. I'm interested in that one! 

Thank you and Happy Grinding!

Nicolás

Edited by Ltnicolas
  • Like 2
  • Cat 1

i am self looking into this so ill doing a check a swell, but very good u taking it up, is thinking if we can find a good os for it we more or less can do a manual how to install it for ppl with out larger bugs so ill give u +1 here coz ill am looking as well.

• Cat 1

I chose to use xUbuntu, and it works flawlessly. I like the interface and the xfce system in general, and it is fairly light weight. But yeah, lUbuntu should be even more light weight according to what I have heard. My guess is that it will works just as good. They are all based on the same core, just different topping, and all tho, I have seen some hints on Wurm caring a bit about the different distros, I am pretty sure both of these will work flawlessly. The main issue with Wurm and linux is related to AMD graphics, where placing objects is still buggy for years. Best wishes on your path!

• Cat 1

I'm playing Wurm on Linux Mint since several years now, no problems, with nVidia card and nVidia native Linux drivers.

• Cat 1

I have no input except thanks for posting this, it sounds like a fun project that I'll get in on myself!

I can recommend Lubuntu; previously I managed to get about 0.5fps on an intel atom with 2gb of ram while in a cave on lowest everything on wurm.  It might sound laughably bad, but this was on a netbook over a decade old, the fact it actually ran was beyond impressive.

Lubuntu is about as stripped down as Ubuntu gets, and you can strip out more if you wanted to, though the gains for the work would be minimal.  It's relatively easy to get wurm going on there and I can definitely recommend it for older hardware.  Because it is just a stripped down variation of Ubuntu, that means you get the same nvidia support as ubuntu itself, which is pretty good (https://phoenixnap.com/kb/install-nvidia-drivers-ubuntu).

Because wurm will run natively on Lubutnu, and Drauger is likely to be focused on more borderline cases (wine emulation etc), I'd say you're not going to see that much difference.

in my experience with a pretty old integrated intel graphics card, using windows i have to turn off shaders (which means no woodtype colors and other things.) to be able to play because it crashes before opening if i don't, and even without shaders performance isn't great and i get glitches with animals looking wierd.

in a normal linux desktop distro like opensuse leap (not made to be super light or for gaming.) something about the linux drivers for my card just makes it work much better in wurm i play with shaders on and with no visual glitches and performance is better.

All you need is OS, java and video card capable to run the game.. from there it's hardware.. cpu/ram/video for performance and fast disk to preload the ton of things wurm loves to cache when you switch locals.

MINT is one of the lightweight options as linux os.

Needless to say.. some epic hardware struggles to run wurm properly at times, or does good job but makes you wonder why it barely does just that.

It's down to .. trying different hardware specs and seeing fps.. to decide what might work well for you.

no magic formula..

Personally I go slackware with e16 for wm which works pretty much seamlessly with the wurm right click menus for both game and OS. you can probably use any version of enlightenment on any linux though if that is the only part you care about. I run slack because slack is and always will be the best core philosophy distro, wurm just happens to run there with no issues because its a *nix.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for the input. Will try Draugr in a few days out of curiosity and will report back. If it don't work then i'll go to (my dear) Lubuntu.

Will report back.