Sign in to follow this  
Vorticella

Allow repair of pelts, pottery, and tents

Most if not all of us keep at least a couple of these items in our inventory, pelts are probably the most common example since they decay so fast out of inventory. They take damage very quickly, and the yellow and orange numbers draw our attention to warn that there is damage, but there is no way to clear the warning aside from finding a Vynora priest to cast mend (over and over again if it's something like a pelt that continuously takes damage with use). We just have to look at it all the time.

I think it's fine that we can't improve pottery and pelts, but broken pottery can be pieced back together, a torn pelt can be sewn. I don't really see why tents shouldn't be improvable but we should at least be able to fix them when they take damage.

Edit: Include whetstones too

Edited by Vorticella
  • Like 6

I agree with this suggestion, and it's not without precedent.  The new character starter kit of tools has none that can be improved, but the tools themselves (apart from tent and pottery bowl) can be repaired.

Just let pelts, pottery items, and the tents be able to be repaired, with the corresponding loss in QL that would normally come from repairing, with the lack of the possibility of improvement remaining.

It won't make them infinitely useable, just simply extend their lifespan a little longer.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Tristanc said:

I agree with this suggestion, and it's not without precedent.  The new character starter kit of tools has none that can be improved, but the tools themselves (apart from tent and pottery bowl) can be repaired.

Just let pelts, pottery items, and the tents be able to be repaired, with the corresponding loss in QL that would normally come from repairing, with the lack of the possibility of improvement remaining.

It won't make them infinitely useable, just simply extend their lifespan a little longer.

Exactly! And then we wouldn't have to look at the yellow/orange numbers all the time. Good point about the starter kit, I didn't think of that.

Edited by Vorticella

Can't you get a priest to "mend" those items?  Dunno never tried before, but that's my guess.

11 minutes ago, nicedreams said:

Can't you get a priest to "mend" those items?  Dunno never tried before, but that's my guess.

It's pretty excessive to get a Vyn priest to fix your pelt or whetstone every time you use them, so you're still stuck looking at the damage number all the time even if you do have access to a priest.

Pro tip...a mend rune works on a whetstone...but not a pelt. There is that option, but I agree, let us fix them...the orange numbers hurt our eyes! :)

+1

I'm on the fence about this. I do not like the orange in my inventory, that gets annoying. I also have a Vyn priest who's most often not prem'd, but when he is he goes around and mends all those type of things. My one concern would be if we could mend those, then that Vyn spell is basically useless.

1 minute ago, DaletheGood said:

My one concern would be if we could mend those, then that Vyn spell is basically useless.

If the spell could be adjusted so that it repairs without quality loss instead, then it would be better than normal repairing and still good to have. That's how I would have intuitively expected it to work in the first place.

• Like 2

what is this orange number nonsense?¿? right click your inventory and "add group", problem solved.

1 hour ago, Vorticella said:

If the spell could be adjusted so that it repairs without quality loss instead, then it would be better than normal repairing and still good to have. That's how I would have intuitively expected it to work in the first place.

Then it'd be too OP

19 minutes ago, Madnath said:

Then it'd be too OP

Isn't it already, since it's the only way to repair those items?

2 minutes ago, Vorticella said:

Isn't it already, since it's the only way to repair those items?

Not really, being able to repair a couple of items doesn't make it an OP spell at all. At times standard repair skill can beat mend.

1 minute ago, Madnath said:

Not really, being able to repair a couple of items doesn't make it an OP spell at all. At times standard repair skill can beat mend.

The spell can be adjusted in some way to keep things balanced. Regardless, mend doesn't help with this problem anyway since the items take damage so fast, you're back to looking at yellow numbers again right away. The problem is constantly having to look at damage in the inventory and not being able to just repair it when you see it like we can with everything else.

22 minutes ago, Vorticella said:

The problem is constantly having to look at damage in the inventory

again, this is only a problem in your mind. making everything more generic and making more mechanics useless because you have some kind of mental issue sounds like a terrible idea, so looking at history this will probably happen.

8 hours ago, Vorticella said:

I don't really see why tents shouldn't be improvable but we should at least be able to fix them when they take damage.

+1 I agree! It has never made sense to me that tents cannot be improved or repaired.

• Like 2

You can put a whetstone in your backpack so the damage number isn't orange, but otherwise, yes across the board for this.

Whetstones, pelts, ceramics - not really improvable but should be repairable.

Tents - absolutely should be repairable, AND improvable (and really should be tailoring, not FC, while we are at it).

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Tpikol said:

again, this is only a problem in your mind. making everything more generic and making more mechanics useless because you have some kind of mental issue sounds like a terrible idea, so looking at history this will probably happen.

It's like having a notification on your phone that you can't clear away unless you ask (or hire?) someone else to do it for you. I don't think someone needs to have a "mental issue" to find something like that annoying.

Edited by Vorticella
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

You can put a whetstone in your backpack so the damage number isn't orange, but otherwise, yes across the board for this.

Yeah I have my non-repairable stuff hidden in containers or groups within my inventory. The problem with hiding those items is then the damage isn't noticeable anymore, so you may not realize that something is reaching the point where it should be replaced. The orange and yellow numbers do serve a good purpose by letting you know something needs to be done. This also doesn't work well for items like the measuring jug that is regularly accessed in the inventory, the tent which you may want to access quickly when needed, or items in other containers (pottery bowls in an oven for example).

I don't personally even use mend because I don't have a vyn priest and it's not worth asking or hiring someone to fix all this stuff just to have it turn yellow again in a day or two.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, moogien said:

in settings game you can turn colors off .

The problem with hiding the colours is then the damage isn't noticeable anymore, so you may not realize that something is reaching the point where it should be replaced. The orange and yellow numbers do serve a good purpose by letting you know something needs to be done. They are great to have for other items and I wouldn't want to turn that setting off. Turning the colour off also doesn't fix the problem of not being able to fix the items yourself, you'd still be looking at damaged items all the time.

Edited by Vorticella
  • Like 1

To be honest, it never made sense why some items can be repaired while others not. 

I mean we press a button and magically a 2000 piece knarr suddenly gets repaired. Or an item such as an exquisite meditation rug. 

Unlike other games that force you to have materials to repair or have a convoluted repair process, in Wurm the repair action is free, it just lowers quality and that's it. 

+1 for everything to be repairable, keep mend if you want, but other than that, let us repair our stuff freefly. If we go with one absurd mechanic, let's go all the way. 

• Like 1