Sign in to follow this  
LynD

Gift Wrapping

I was just thinking about leaving things for some members of my deed, and it occured to me that if I leave a crate with things in it, it could just look like another one of the crates they have there, and they might not realize the gift was there for a while. That got me to thinking that if there was "gift wrapping" available in the game, it would be noticed immediately.   

It would be useful to working on paper making (for the paper), dye making (for the ink to write the tag), and cloth making (for the ribbon to wrap it all up with), and would act as a skin to be used on any container type so it could "wrap" for any gift type. (for example an item that can only be held indefinately in a crate the wrap would go on a crate, but for an item that can only be held in a chest for a long time - the wrap could be used on a chest instead). 

Ideally as soon as the tag is read and the gift is opened the wrap would disintegrate so the container could be used for anything afterwards. 

I think this would be great to add into the game for those that like to leave gifts for other players, but would like it noticed immediately when the player comes on, and to know where it came from even if the creator of the gift is not online at the time, and would utilize several mechanics of the game that are under served right now. 

• Like 4

Back in the day you could wrap items with a woodscrap. I know it was removed "I believe it was due to the fact that item's didn't take damage while wrapped". I am all for this being added back to the game. It sucks not being able to wrap a gift for the holidays or a birthday. Big +1 from me!

• Like 1

It was removed partly because people used it to remove the decay and it also reduced weight.  Also, only the recipient could open it so therefor made it worthless as loot, I know from my short pvp exp the couple times I got gifts I just dropped them.

love the idea but the past implementation was ripe for exploit.

+1 for a new system.

17 minutes ago, brattygirl said:

being able to wrap a gift for the holidays or a birthday

Yeah, and if they did bring this back and.or updated, having different wrapping paper options would be fun, birthday skin, christmas skin, basic gift skin, New Years skin, etc. I think that would be awesome!

2 minutes ago, Nomadikhan said:

people used it to remove the decay

There is already that option in the system now if you use the proper container for the item.. if it were only optional to use for giving to others - not to yourself, it shouldn't be an issue. Things like food couldn't really be worked in this manner unless you wrapped an entire larder. Other items would have to be "packaged" properly for this to work as a non decayable. My thought was not to delay or stop decay, if you packed something improperly for giving, it would still decay as normal... the skin would have no effect on the current options of the items inside. You pack it wrong, thats your issue, not the games. LOL

My idea was simply a visual differentiator from others of its kind for immediate notice of the reciever. The impact of the container should be unchanged. 

Love the idea of having it as a temporary craftable skin for containers. It could work like sealing barrels, so the contents can't be seen or removed until opened (but it shouldn't have any influence on decay). After opening the skin disappears and the container is back to normal. This would be great!

Edited by Vorticella
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, LynD said:

There is already that option in the system now if you use the proper container for the item.. if it were only optional to use for giving to others - not to yourself, it shouldn't be an issue. Things like food couldn't really be worked in this manner unless you wrapped an entire larder. Other items would have to be "packaged" properly for this to work as a non decayable. My thought was not to delay or stop decay, if you packed something improperly for giving, it would still decay as normal... the skin would have no effect on the current options of the items inside. You pack it wrong, thats your issue, not the games. LOL

My idea was simply a visual differentiator from others of its kind for immediate notice of the reciever. The impact of the container should be unchanged. 

Don't take me the wrong way.  I was only providing backstory on why the old system was removed.  I'm all for gift wrapping coming back if it's revamped so not as exploitable.   +1

I made model for it soo Dev's would only need too add it in different sizes of course it's 5 min model soo nothing special but you thought about something like this? let me know...

prezent.png?width=751&height=422

• Like 1