Sign in to follow this  
Keenan

Map Dumps: PvP Delay?

Have you ever struggled to retain non-fighters when your Kingdom is losing every fight? It's a very different challenge to retaining strong accounts who want to fight everything that moves, from retiring to PvE to grind even higher skills because of the PvE bonuses.

Yeah, let's leave the current PvP happenings out of this thread. I'm genuinely interested in where the feeling is on this. It's okay to fall on either side of this issue. We'll be using the points for and against to come to a decision.

Currently, I'm personally torn. Releasing them means there's no going back in a way. We could always stop releasing them, but that isn't fair for the folks whose deeds will forever be located on the map dump. Not releasing them does preserve the fog of war, but the real question is: Does that element make PvP more fun for people?

If I played on Defiance, I'd probably side with the idea of not releasing them. I do remember Chaos and having map software. I remember using priests to get approximate locations of deeds, and actually having to scout around. That was fun for me. I wasn't much of a fighter, but I did like to roam. Yet what's fun for me doesn't mean it's fun for everyone, and even then we still had map dumps of Chaos now and then. Granted, the old days they were very far and few between, but they still happened.

Please keep on giving your feedback on this!

• Like 3

Having a map dump once a year wont change anything for pvp.

• Like 4

If it were possible to see how the map looked, each month, a year ago, from server-release onward, I'd love that. A this-day-in-history, kinda thing that we can show newbies and query veterans about; really knit the generations together.

Personally, I love the whole discovery aspect in the now. You can get truly lost and out-of-date. And you can surprise people with something totally oddball that took months of planning to bring to fruition.

Wurm Online is a long-haul sandbox game. There's fast content, and there's slow content. Misinformation and uncertainty. Cunning plans that COULD only ever work, if they have time to be properly carried out.

And personally, I don't want to have to scrap my 10-year plan for a second time this year, just for some 'cool pictures' in the name of fast content. PvP isn't dead, it's just beginning.

• Like 1

Map dump for Defiance would be good.

the server has been out long enough if you dont know where the 99% of the current active deeds are you are just sitting on deed with your hands over your eyes and having or not having the map dump wouldn't affect you

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Pnutp said:

I know this, but hiding and looking for a peaceful life is PvE right?

Looking for a peaceful life, sure thats PvE. Hiding is a different thing entirely. one could want to hide from others, yet enjoy the mental challenge of combat. some of the best PvP'ers enjoy doing that all the time.

if it were possible, as@Draykasaid, to publish the previous years dump instead of the current one, that may be a decent "in between" 

Edited by Tomatoes
not going to double post :P

+1 for the Defiance mapdump (with or without delay)

Edited by Taranis

Well I would like to get at lest a original Map dump to have a good base for my/our own map(s). And maybe a 1 year delay. While I understand that a to short delay is critical Wurm changes a lot and it would be great to have some sort of serverhistory in form of map devolvment. One year shold also be enough distance to render most information usless (if a deed is older then 1 Year you can assume the enemys who care know about it quite detailed allredy)

Nice one Keenan, i have an opinion too, but as i dont play on epic any longer i'll leave the responces to those who do.  Great to hear the question though :) 

Bump.  Don’t know if others will chime in but I think a good middle ground for both sides would be something like every 90 days for a map dump.  The people that want map dumps will still get them and the people that don’t want them will have plenty of time to fortify a deed or decide if Defiance for them. 

• Like 1

Could I just point out that if deed development has to be halted because of bugs, the time for the Development Team to address those issues should be factored into consideration when calculating a reasonable time-delay on map dumps. That is, assuming the Devs still want and require us to report exploits we find, as opposed to putting PvP-survival considerations first. No-one's going to be happy if they are still waiting on a ticket to be answered/closed, when enemy are handed your exact deed location and general layout. Or we could all logout/portal in Starter Town until Wurm is guaranteed bug-free. :P