Sign in to follow this  
Sheffie

Let us adjust fog

This picture is about as foggy as it ever gets, for me, using the new rendering engine and with most details cranked up to maximum.

TYnX1nM.jpeg

Proposal

Add two sliders to the Graphical Settings menu to let the user adjust

• How much fog to draw when the weather is bad 
    • I propose that the above image be used as a reference for the default / minimum fog (maximum visibility) when it's snowing, raining or officially foggy. This is the default, and the current behaviour.
    • Minimum visibility would be up to the user, but could be quite extreme if that's what people want.
  • How much fog to draw when the weather is good
    • Obviously at the minimum (default) value no haze would be visible.
    • I propose that the above image be used as a reference for how the game could look, at the other end of the slider, if that's what a player wants.

Discussion

Fog is atmospheric and adds to the richness and depth of the world. In the image above, you can easily see the treeless valley in the distance on the right; that would be far less obvious without fog.

Fog helps sailors to navigate by providing depth cues - inlets may be revealed by different shadings that would otherwise look like an unbroken horizon.

Fog is a client-only feature that should be up to the players to control.

Since the introduction of the new rendering engine, fog has been severely lacking in Wurm.

However, some players may be fine with how things are. Perhaps with other graphics hardware or operating systems, things look quite different. For those players, this proposal would change nothing — unless they wanted to change it.

Ideally, fog levels would vary with time of day, increasing around sunrise and at sunset somewhat. But the above proposal would at least give players more control.

Edited by Sheffie
  • Like 1

i wish we could have fog back to how it used to be, but most player nowdays would instantly quit if that happened.

• Like 1

I'll give you a +1 on that. I personally prefer the less fog, but it was a more immersive experience when we had the really dense fog, made it a lot scarier, especially if you heard a fog spider somewhere in your vicinity. But would definitely want client-side control over the level.

22 minutes ago, Keridwyn said:

I didn't even know fog is a thing! I'd like to see this, too.

fog used to be super fun for sailing

Spoiler

omgvmqA.jpg

Edited by Tpikol
  • Like 1
  • Cat 1

I definitely miss the foreboding menace that a good fog brought along every once in a while. +1 to the immersive experience.

IRL, when conditions are right, many places also get a distinct morning mist that's like a fog but that doesn't go very high above the ground.

Edited by MordosKull

Some interesting ideas there, to make Wurm more atmospheric, especially as we go into the autumn/fall.

On the Epic servers, fog is common and often prevents you from seeing much farther than 15-30 tiles in front of you at its worst. It's a real danger sometimes in PvP or when out in unfamiliar territory. I wonder if it's missing on the PvE/newer servers. Epic is ancient and SFI is even older so I don't understand why you guys can't see it as much... I will try to take a screenshot next dewey morning!

On Epic, lately, I also had feeling that fog is much weaker, but one day I logged in and fog was so dense that I almost havn't seen anything through the window.

i have to say that after responding to this topic i have seen a day in harmony of very nice fog, i guess it depends a lot on your settings, because other people i talked to didn't see it.

10 minutes ago, Tpikol said:

i have to say that after responding to this topic i have seen a day in harmony of very nice fog, i guess it depends a lot on your settings, because other people i talked to didn't see it.

Haven't seen fog like the picture you posted in the couple of months I've been on Freedom,  As previously mentioned when I was on Epic the fog was immense but I have only just come back after a 5-6 year break.

Wasnt sure if it was related to being on the coast or not now, as there has seemed to be a few tweaks since i stopped playing

Only time i've seen anything even remotely similar was the cloud cover fog you can see across the map when you go above a certain height on Xanadu,

was a shame to see its not really a thing anymore. would be interesting to find out what graphics settings adjust it

Edited by Toeol
  • Like 1

well not quite like that picture i posted of the old fog but i did see this much recently.

Spoiler

2yy8Mba.jpg

While using the Modern Render with graphic pretty high I don't see fog, rain or rainbows.  When I play on my laptop with Legacy Render then I can see everything just fine and actually enjoy it more.  Forgot this game had rainbows for awhile.  I do miss seeing the rain using Modern Render.