Sign in to follow this  
Drogos

Tree stumps

Why is it that tree stumps gives zero skill ticks when removed? They take quite a bit of time to remove, and I would imagine you would get at least body strength to do so. Many people choose to just leave them, and it looks horrible. If however they would give some woodcutting, body control, body strength and body stamina skill, I am sure that would raise the incentive to keep surroundings more pleasant for fellow players.

Edit, I was informed they do give some body skills. Tested a bit, and get like one tiny tick now and then in one of them. Not like other actions where you get multiple ticks from one action. Also, with a 30 second timer, the reward should be greater. It obviously is not enough reward for the time. And please add some woodcutting skill too, that would render this a whole lot more rewarding :)

Edited by Drogos
  • Like 8

Couldn't agree more. Woodcutting tends to cause drama, partly because of the horrible mess people tend to leave behind when they do it. It would make sense to get woodcutting skill from clearing stumps, and it would be really good for people to have some incentive to clear them. Maybe they could also produce some wood scraps matching the quality of the felled tree, which would be great for making paper.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Trash said:

3 days isn't that bad

So you would not like the opportunity to gain a little more skill per tree?

I'll give this a +1, but in the meantime I'll keep getting some other skills by cultivating the tiles and planting/picking flowers

• Like 1

Is this suggestion to remove stumps or to make woodcutting easy to grind?

What is the focus here?

@Sheffie"nice" video

c36fdd3e663b042ca3c1fcba95ce5a9f.png

1 hour ago, Finnn said:

Is this suggestion to remove stumps or to make woodcutting easy to grind?

What is the focus here?

The suggestion is to make removal of stumps more rewarding so hopefully more people will bother with removing this eyesore. Not thinking to give it more woodcutting skill pr second than other woodcutting activities, so no, not suggesting making it easier to grind, but maybe give it same skill gain, so that woodcutting has a bit more variety, and at the same time give some more incentive to bother to remove stumps.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sheffie said:

Clearing stumps should definitely be more fun.

Video unavailable
The uploader has not made this video available in your country.

2 hours ago, Drogos said:
Video unavailable
The uploader has not made this video available in your country.

Alright, google "bluey stumpfest" and you should be good to go

If you're in Australia you might be blocked though, since it's an Aussie show

2 hours ago, Sheffie said:

If you're in Australia you might be blocked though, since it's an Aussie show

I can confirm that.  "The uploader has not made this video available in your country."  🙁

Can also confirm that clearing stumps IRL is typically very much unfun - unless you go for burning or blasting.

40 minutes ago, TheTrickster said:

Can also confirm that clearing stumps IRL is typically very much unfun - unless you go for burning or blasting.

This is a game tho, and Wurm with it's giant spiders, and flaming horses are not really that closely modeled on realism. I vote for a fun game to play over copy of boring real life tasks.

• Like 2

I'm all for making things more rewarding but that being said you can remove stumps rather quickly by cultivating the tile. And if the resulting dirt tile isn't to your liking, plant flowers and poof, instant grass. ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Katrat said:

I'm all for making things more rewarding but that being said you can remove stumps rather quickly by cultivating the tile. And if the resulting dirt tile isn't to your liking, plant flowers and poof, instant grass. ;)

That's true. You can even clear four stumps with one action if you dig in the middle and drop the dirt. However, people often get tunnel vision with woodcutting and can't be bothered with these actions no matter how quick and easy they are because it's not helping them reach their goal. If a player wants to maximize their skill gain per minute, they mindlessly chop and drop everything in a vast area as fast as possible without looking back, and the game rewards them for this. Then you have situations where someone logs in to find the nice forest next to their deed completely trashed and reduced to a depressing stump field, just so some other player could get another decimal point in their woodcutting skill. It causes endless arguments and conflicts because people see things differently. If people were also rewarded for cleaning up the stumps it would help a lot to reduce the bad feelings caused by woodcutting.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Drogos said:

This is a game tho, and Wurm with it's giant spiders, and flaming horses are not really that closely modeled on realism. I vote for a fun game to play over copy of boring real life tasks.

Oh, yeah, I agree.  The thing IRL there isn't a whole lot that can be done to make stump removal less of a chore.  In Wurm, it already is easy; but making it rewarding would encourage people to clean up behind themselves.

• Like 2

+1 for some woodcutting xp for stump removal. Should be significant enough to make ppl want to remove stumps, imo.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TeeeBOMB said:

+1 for some woodcutting xp for stump removal. Should be significant enough to make ppl want to remove stumps, imo.

Give chance at rare coin rolls like the change to burying corpses couple years ago.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, nicedreams said:

Give chance at rare coin rolls like the change to burying corpses couple years ago.

While I love the coin thing with corpses, I think skill gain is a better incentive in this case. When people are grinding fight/weapon skills they go through a steppe or desert area and mow down all the creatures but often don't bother to bury the corpses despite the chance at getting a rare coin, so I don't think it would incentivize them to spend the time clearing stumps either. I bet they would bury them all if they got some fight skill from it, but of course that wouldn't make as much sense as getting woodcutting for clearing stumps.

Maybe it's not about incentivising specific people to 'clear up after themselves', but about having others see it as a fleeting opportunity for themselves to gain from, instead of seeing only loss and destruction. That gives more scope for programming, than trying to force skill-gainers to change their habits of playstyle. You will lose that battle.

6 hours ago, Drayka said:

Maybe it's not about incentivising specific people to 'clear up after themselves', but about having others see it as a fleeting opportunity for themselves to gain from, instead of seeing only loss and destruction. That gives more scope for programming, than trying to force skill-gainers to change their habits of playstyle. You will lose that battle.

Game design is all about getting people to behave in particular ways based on rewards and risks or threats so no I don't think that's a losing battle at all. It just has to be done right so that players always feel like they are doing something enjoyable and/or in their best interest in some way. The player shouldn't feel like they are cleaning up. They just see that they are getting skill ticks from this action of chopping stumps, and the "side effect" is that they would happen to also be cleaning up. The skill gain just needs to be balanced correctly so it's worth the time. Even if they still don't, then as you said other people would see the opportunity to benefit from it and would hurry over to utilize it before it's gone. Either way, the outcome is that the stumps would no longer be seen as trash, and they would not be spoiling the landscape for very long at all.

Edited by Vorticella
  • Like 3

That gives more scope for programming

I have no clue what you mean by this, could you elaborate?

You will lose that battle

I would not be so quick to judge, how can one know this without even trying? I agree it probably do not work 100% of the time, but "loosing the battle" I think sounds unrealistically pessimistic.

trying to force skill-gainers to change their habits of playstyle

Not trying to force anyone here, trying to provide a reward to an otherwise boring task. Offering a reward is not the same as forcing someone to change habits.

• Like 2