Sign in to follow this  
Stanlee

It seems accustomed to roads

With the AH update, we gained a new exciting trait to boost the speed of our horses. Something to make up for the loss of the powerful speed/draft hybrids we had an allow full-speed horses to reign supreme!

Speed | It seems accustomed to water | Moves faster in shallow waters | 10 points

morning-of-the-ulan-integration-grasslan

I'll admit, if I were looking at this picture, I hope this would be the trait I'd come up with too.

This was a problem immediately. Not because it wasn't a strong or cute trait, but because of what it meant for us min/maxers who are thinking about how we have to go fast, and how we'd need to design highways to allow us to go as fast as possible.

c1c814a3580e4d5acf2d78007368a9a9.jpg

You may not like it, but this is what peak highway looks like

See, good design typically tricks players into doing what you want to see.

Don't want loads of animals on single tiles? Disease.

Want strong connected highway systems linking most deeds? Wagoners. 

You want every highway dug down to water? This trait.

1d3d8e3bec6bf2ec59bc491d7cf3fd95.jpga

This'll look great dug to water, I swear

Worse, without this level of min/maxing, the trait is so weak that I'm still on a pre-patch horse, and the only way I see myself changing that is if I dig highways to water.

So what alternative is there? Well, you read the thread title, so you know where I'm going, but here's how I got there. I thought about behaviours I have towards roads. See, to me roads are a suggestion. Anyone who knows me knows I rarely follow them, instead cutting across ways with my good sense for rideable tiles. I also don't care for wagoners - I'm no stranger to my own wagon. With these powers combined, I don't much care for roads beyond their ability to stop people terrorforming (not a typo) the area. This is especially infuriating for anyone following me who is yet to learn the server.

But if the trait were changed to instead work for roads rather than water? Immediately I care about far more interesting things: heat maps of my travel, efficient highways (which is something wagoners don't care for, to comic extents).

tl;dr:

This change could let new horses be competitive against old ones, and reward players for designing roads around efficient travel.

• Like 29

Yes please. The waterhighways have already appeared in areas and they're so stupid. ROADS! That's the future of Wurm!

• Like 1

people "improving" highways by making them kick you off your horse randomly due to being half underwater is great, what do you mean?

• Like 1

yes, the bonus being applied while on pavement! This makes a lot of sense. Please!

Make it so!

+1

I truly believe the water trait first started as a big which they later thought renaming it as a trait would be easier than fixing it... How else would this come about?!

Pavement is already fast and if you had the foresight to keep those 'Keen Senses' horses you would not have trouble getting the new trait since they exchanged the old useless trait for this one.

Everyone needs horses that are faster going to the clay pits because they do that every day instead of having clay tiles on their deeds. 

( you asked for it Stanlee :P )

All Horses should go faster on roads than off.

Horses without shoes should go faster on roads, but not as much.

In other words, horseshoes should provide a much bigger speed boost on roads than off.

Roads that are underwater should slow down all horses.

Horses with the trait should not slow down as much.

There. No danger of crazy min/max highways.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Sheffie said:

All Horses should go faster on roads than off.

Horses without shoes should go faster on roads, but not as much.

In other words, horseshoes should provide a much bigger speed boost on roads than off.

Roads that are underwater should slow down all horses.

Horses with the trait should not slow down as much.

There. No danger of crazy min/max highways.

Good points. I almost agree 100%.

+ 1

I would appreciate if this change (underwater higway should be slower than roads higher than sea or lake level) would be in next update or in update in near future because i would like to build coastal road or highway but now is underwater highway better solution from min/max perspective but for sailors and people who prefer logic more than wogic it is not. I would prefer to buld min/max road but not underwater if possible.

Highways and roads which are in a direct line, with none or small slope, with higher ql and better pavement (and higher ql catseyes) should give bigger speed bonus than roads/highways which change direction every tile, are steep, underwater and build with low ql pavement or only by gravel. Maybe road/highway build by marble bricks or sandstone bricks should have speed bonus bigger than road/highway build by stone bricks or even by gravel. (But here min/maxing could lead to unwanted uniforminty of roads because some materilas for road surface would be better than others. There is tension between forced limited estetics because of min/maxing and new oportunity for min/maxing.)