Sign in to follow this  
Drayka

Sub-Village and Sub-Alliance chat channels

Team chat is great, but it is temporary. Diversity is great, but it can be challenging to support at times.

It would be nice to have more chat-channel options, especially for language-groups split over multiple deeds, without having to schism into Villages & Alliances based on primary language spoken.

I think if sub-channel functionality was added, it would end-up being used primarily to separate mains from alts in most Wurm communities.

23 minutes ago, Drayka said:

especially for language-groups

24 minutes ago, Drayka said:

it would end-up being used primarily to separate mains from alts

peoples mains speak different languages than their alts? ¿?¿?¿?

I'm not saying this is a bad thing, but for the effort this would entail wouldn't it be better to just revamp the chatsystem entirely and allow arbitrary groups of people to form/join as many publicly-listed/private channels as they want without worrying about village, alliance, or even server/cluster?

• Like 3

The chat system could generally do with an upgrade and bug-hunt. But I don't feel a major overhaul is necessary for language-support.

My Kingdom specifically had a historic need, and still has an (albeit reduced, due to players quitting) current need, for multiple, permanent, in-game group-chat channels, that are not locked to Village-respawn mechanics, in order to support and encourage non-English speakers to feel that they were not being discriminated against or forced into apartheid living. It's very difficult to retain players when they cannot simply relax and talk amongst themselves as a language group, to coordinate their gameplay.

I'm merely asking that the Devs look into it, as a 'selling point' for Wurm in the future, that we have the core mechanics available to support players who are not strong English speakers.

If it's as simple as having a 3-letter language tag after Alliance and Village, (including ENG for non-English biased Alliances) that creates another chat channel on the same tier, then in my amateur opinion that would be fairly easy to implement without any major code alteration.

Bear in mind that these are two are Private Channels. Kingdom, Global and Help are Public channels which require around-the-clock staff moderation oversight.

That said, I think we are long overdue a mechanic that assigns an alt-status to an account, and alters the amount of HUD that is default for such an account. Especially as we now have a written game-rule that assumes all multi-account players have 1, official main-account per player. Basically just greying-out or hiding the name in group chat, setting Chat Options to (hide is default) and incoming PMs to Disallow. Changing any of these settings would cancel Alt Account status, and make the name normal-colours again. Local would be unaffected.

Visual AFK indicators could be integrated at the same time. Again not affecting Local.

But these are merely same-code-area requests. I don't believe that I'm asking for a particularly major code change, in suggesting language sub-channels as-standard for Wurm.

Edited by Drayka

Oo, little tip! 

You can actually create multiple config setups and use them for logging alts in. Then you can customise it for any account you want in any way you want. 

or maybe instead of making it so everybody gets 27 village chat tabs and 27 alliance chat tabs by default that we have to turn off one by one, they could be off by default and people who want to use them could use the ones they need.

or maybe instead of this, allow the position of chat tabs to be saved.

While it is not what you're recommending ( and what would be the easiest to use ), Wurm does have a built-in IRC chat that can be used. You can set permissions so only certain people can join, etc. 

Again, it's not ideal, but is definitely a fairly full featured work-around and can be set up to auto-join on launch. If you're interested in this, let me know & I can walk you through setting some of it up. Just hit me up on the forums or ingame on zethreal ( when I'm on ).