Sign in to follow this  
Sylvanas

Custom Map

I have been up and down trying to get a custom map going in my game, but never work. I checked several guides and didnt work out well. But someday i may find a way to get it setup.

My question is, is there a way you can grab someone else map from the server? I mean this map/server been up and down and not being active like it should. Idk if the host having some serious PC issues. But i like that map, plenty of room and i use to hang out in it. Good ping, etc. Then all hell break loose, surprise it came back up then its gone.

Been trying to contact that owner of that map, still no reply.

What about your own custom maps isn't working?  Maybe we can help you get it how you like.

26 minutes ago, Batta said:

What about your own custom maps isn't working?  Maybe we can help you get it how you like.

Wanted something that is big, like 8k and the server/map is Emerald Expanse. But idk if anyone willing to make something that good, few years ago he told me he put alot of efforts into it. So now idk where he is or something happen to him. Cause his server/map isnt always there.

Not going crazy atm, but like to plan ahead though. just a mix up of everything that is spread out in 8k map. Some water ways or rivers going through in different directions, etc.

2 minutes ago, Sylvanas said:

Wanted something that is big, like 8k and the server/map is Emerald Expanse. But idk if anyone willing to make something that good, few years ago he told me he put alot of efforts into it. So now idk where he is or something happen to him. Cause his server/map isnt always there.

Not going crazy atm, but like to plan ahead though. just a mix up of everything that is spread out in 8k map. Some water ways or rivers going through in different directions, etc.

This seems pretty standard for any of the map generators. I'm not sure what's not working when you make yours?

We're happy to help you get it working. I use this map generator.

Are you struggling to make a map that meets your needs, or are you struggling to get a map that you have made working?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Batta said:

This seems pretty standard for any of the map generators. I'm not sure what's not working when you make yours?

Well i didnt try to make a map, i saw a custom somewhere in here and try to load it and didnt work. Guess it will require some skills how to set it up. Yeah i can take my time, making one, like earning it and be happy with it.

@Kiama, just a though. Doesnt have to be perfect. But for example, Willows should be around swamp or marsh areas. Rarely any willows in most servers i looked into. I like to have slow pacing and long term game going, most servers are way too high skill gains and strict rules, etc. My biggest issues is most servers having bad ping or too high. The reasons i like Emerald Expanse, believe its 2x skill gain and action, deed upkeep, etc. That is something i am looking for.

Btw i still do play Online, but seem like its dieing over there and not much efforts they are adding to the game to keep players from leaving. Its like once you build a house, expand your deed alittle, then a boat/ship then they started to disappear. Hell some players wanted a new map or servers to start all over again lol. When i am online and back in Emerald Expanse, when i find a abandoned deed that is a mess, i usually clean it up. Smooth out the terrain, making it more nature environment. Most dont do that, hate when players show up, wreck it then leave :(

Edited by Sylvanas

35 minutes ago, Sylvanas said:

But for example, Willows should be around swamp or marsh areas."

One way to accomplish this with the generator I linked to is to have certain biomes at certain heights. Seed marsh and willows, as many willows as you like, at the same dirt height range. Otherwise, the generator isn't designed to associate terrain types directly.

@SylvanasI can send you a checklist to help you install a custom map and make it work, if you like.  I just need to know whether you're using a server host (such as Pingperfect) or just your own computer.  I'm not a techie or a modder, so my checklist is very much dumbed down to my level, lol.  I'm pretty sure almost anyone could make it work, unless they're completely computer illiterate.  🙂

6 hours ago, Batta said:

@SylvanasI can send you a checklist to help you install a custom map and make it work, if you like.  I just need to know whether you're using a server host (such as Pingperfect) or just your own computer.  I'm not a techie or a modder, so my checklist is very much dumbed down to my level, lol.  I'm pretty sure almost anyone could make it work, unless they're completely computer illiterate.  🙂

That would be great, gonna try this slim dell i have here. Been using that as 24/7, but i dont know if that thing can handle a huge map as 8k though. My question is, how do i make it more alive with npcs, multi spawn in, etc? I am not sure if i will like it as creative map, since nothing around to interact with. Idk let wait and see how this goes first, like one step at a time.

I believe a lot of really good maps and server devs use their own in house map gen tool which isn't available for the public. Or so i've been told anyway.

Or they edit some of the public ones to fit them.

Also 8k maps take a very long time to render and do, and if you are going by trial and error, i don't recommend 8k. Start with something really small like the size of golden valley, experiment and find out how the map gen really works, then switch to bigger maps. 

NPCs that are not mobs have nothing to do with map generation. You have to manually place them as a GM. And i'm not sure what you mean by "multi spawn in"

I believe you can hand place lairs as a GM and they should eventually start spawning mobs. Uniques might have to be placed manually too or set up in a server script to spawn. 

Edited by atazs

8 hours ago, atazs said:

I believe a lot of really good maps and server devs use their own in house map gen tool which isn't available for the public. Or so i've been told anyway.

Or they edit some of the public ones to fit them.

Also 8k maps take a very long time to render and do, and if you are going by trial and error, i don't recommend 8k. Start with something really small like the size of golden valley, experiment and find out how the map gen really works, then switch to bigger maps. 

NPCs that are not mobs have nothing to do with map generation. You have to manually place them as a GM. And i'm not sure what you mean by "multi spawn in"

I believe you can hand place lairs as a GM and they should eventually start spawning mobs. Uniques might have to be placed manually too or set up in a server script to spawn. 

Yeah i probably start something simple first to get a hang of it. The Multi spawn in, is the creative map, that when you make a character you will random spawn in different locations through out the map. The default creative map in Unlimited, i think it has four or five possible spawning points. That can be useful too, some may not like it though.

4 hours ago, Sylvanas said:

Yeah i probably start something simple first to get a hang of it. The Multi spawn in, is the creative map, that when you make a character you will random spawn in different locations through out the map. The default creative map in Unlimited, i think it has four or five possible spawning points. That can be useful too, some may not like it though.

So you want to spawn at a specific location? You have to manually make deeds as a GM and set them as default spawn then 

15 hours ago, nitram20 said:

So you want to spawn at a specific location? You have to manually make deeds as a GM and set them as default spawn then 

Actually, you just need to specify the coordinates in the configuration, and uncheck "Random spawn points."   It's not necessary to make deeds and set them as the spawn points, unless you want to add more possible spawn points down the line.

Noticed in some servers i have played in, have portals to travel certain areas. But i didnt want to go too far, some like it hardcore and some doesnt.

On 9/25/2021 at 7:35 PM, Sylvanas said:

Noticed in some servers i have played in, have portals to travel certain areas. But i didnt want to go too far, some like it hardcore and some doesnt.

How have you been getting on?