Sign in to follow this  
DevBlog

Patch Notes 23/SEP/2021

Nothing addressing large cart speed here.

Are these still going to be unviable for larger servers, or is a speed tweak planned?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Finnn said:

Can we get a thread with intended behaviors and planned future fixed you guys have listed already to work on?

this please

The breeding timer in the "inspect animal" window still displays random numbers.

• Like 1

Anyone seeing any indication Picks Stuff Up is now doing anything?  If it is fixed, I can't figure out what it does.

Granted small sample size on my new animals, and don't know if the animal and traits are created at breeding (which would strike me as odd to create a dbase entry on something not yet in the world....) or at birth, but  I can't tell any difference.

I'm starting to wonder if the AH part actually took effect.

• Like 1

On 9/24/2021 at 3:14 PM, Darklords said:

snip

Going to take more of the random element out of colors and just give it some flat rates to pass on a parents color going forward would 4/5 taking on parent color and 1/5 chance to take on a new random color be consistent enough?

hard to answer since I am not sure how previous random code worked before-  3/4 , 1/4 seems like a better ratio we do need some random regularly to me personally assuming I am getting my fraction %'s right. my herd hasn't given birth yet so I don't have any experience with the new color adjustment that is just me eyeballing it. my question is how this would effect split color pairs. ( parents not matching) even if they were more 2/3 , 1/3 to as a penalty for not matching that would give a more consistent way to shoot for new colors while letting us breed for specific colors with matching color pairs.

( edit) on color is there a formula in the background on what colors pairs spit out or is it truly random? my ebony liked to give me blacksilver and my appaloosa's skewbald. like it was weighted in that direction. Rarity of color spits out similar rarity of random color maybe? it was wierd. would prefer the random portion to be truly random if it isnt. I got a lot of blood bays to but I honestly dont remember which pair was throwing that one( end edit)

also as one of the few people that like the grey color xD please let it be in the pool.

as for the traits. maybe just set most if not all misc to 5 points to fill that gap and set them as the last to fill priority above the rare traits tho. if you are lowering the chance for them to pop up you could break even with this change in theory? I may be mistaken however.

since we pretty much never see max traits otherwise that would be a good role for misc since most combat and output in theory wont be filling those spots now. but even when those traits were common we never hit our skill cap despite the amount of 5 point traits that were in those pools. most of the neg traits were 5 points so I understand why that 5 point discrepancy is so common once neg trait % was reduced and before neg was reduced I actually hit my cap with them a couple times.

I cant talk about dom traits I got a while yet to see mine born xD

Edited by Yserin
F mornings ( spelling) I had more to say

On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2021 at 8:14 AM, Darklords said:

For the 5 points from cap, you can't go over the cap so only a 5 point trait could fill that, if that's not the case from what you have seen let me know.

https://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/185811-animal-husbandry-points/

Any chance we can get this patched without having to wait another month or three?

On 9/25/2021 at 3:03 AM, Etherdrifter said:

Nothing addressing large cart speed here.

Are these still going to be unviable for larger servers, or is a speed tweak planned?

To be fair, my old set up of gear and hell horses are faster after the new AH changes then they were before. Now this is with an empty cart, when loaded speeds are very very bad, that is something that I wish would be tweaked more. We should not be punished as much as we are for hauling items in our carts and wagons. It can already take many people a long time to travel via cart/wagon, I don't think it is wise to slow them down even more.

My cart set up is:

2x Molten Hell Horses with 4 draft traits. (molten does nothing for hitched hell horses anymore, as it is a speed boost for the speed traits, does nothing for draft traits)

95ql Rare horse shoes with 95+ botd

Rare large cart @ 93ql

Max speed pre AH changes was around 38 km/h...post AH changes 41.7 km/h

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, gnomegates said:

To be fair, my old set up of gear and hell horses are faster after the new AH changes then they were before. Now this is with an empty cart, when loaded speeds are very very bad, that is something that I wish would be tweaked more. We should not be punished as much as we are for hauling items in our carts and wagons. It can already take many people a long time to travel via cart/wagon, I don't think it is wise to slow them down even more.

My cart set up is:

2x Molten Hell Horses with 4 draft traits. (molten does nothing for hitched hell horses anymore, as it is a speed boost for the speed traits, does nothing for draft traits)

95ql Rare horse shoes with 95+ botd

Rare large cart @ 93ql

Max speed pre AH changes was around 38 km/h...post AH changes 41.7 km/h

1-2 more traits.. compared to old 3speed+2draft traits; 1 of the fixes just made first 2 draft traits to give you huge base speed equal to old 5speed(so it seemed to me at least)

rare cart does nothing.. or seemed like it does nothing, tested speeds with normal/rare cart of same ql.. nada speed difference..

Heres hoping that's not the end of month update :)

Some new info now, since the patch I have gone through 800 foals and it is possible now to fluke combat traits (outside the previously heavily weighted ones) into the speed horses but not through selective breeding. It has taken all 800 of those for me to fluke the one I'm looking for and not from the parents I have been watching, both with tough bugger they have produced 26 foals and not passed it on once.

15 hours ago, SmeJack said:
On 9/25/2021 at 12:14 AM, Darklords said:

For the 5 points from cap, you can't go over the cap so only a 5 point trait could fill that, if that's not the case from what you have seen let me know.

https://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/185811-animal-husbandry-points/

Any chance we can get this patched without having to wait another month or three?

I agree that this is one of the worst parts of the botched AH update.

While I, among many, was very critical about the old ways which practically halted most breeders at AH50, one of the good aspects was that even a low level breeder had a small random chance to breed better, even ways better offspring. The hard cap which hinders even top AH skill breeders from breeding better creatures, or even creatures with trait points at their skill level, is a serious design flaw and a disgrace.

On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2021 at 10:44 PM, DevBlog said:

Speed/Draft/Output traits will now have a large chance to be ignored during selection if the creature has no use for those traits.

Spoiler

U8hP5MV.png

Im not sure how much milk and wool im getting from this guy 🤨

Edited by SmeJack
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, SmeJack said:

Hide contents

U8hP5MV.png

Im not sure how much milk and wool im getting from this guy 🤨

dang. the two sheep I have born so far rolled all the draft and speed traits off and my horses ( except one) rolled all the combat and output off.With my sheep its really noticeable granted one only had misc and the second only got one output and had half the traits of the parents as a result. but that there is something else xD. I am really starting to think I am getting just stupid lucky with my first round of breeding so far.

that or pvp's code is slightly different.

my sheep results. if I was starting from scratch I wouldnt be happy with them but given their parents its good to see the code working to strip out the draft/speed off these. None of them are inbred so the point count was a little disappointing but not frustratingly so.

Spoiler

4xAk9fq.pngSwD8p13.png

BcdkIbA.png

Edited by Yserin
added my sheep results also I need to stop posting before coffee I missed adding a whole sentance to that.

@Darklords

are we absolutely certain that misc isnt its own dom category? if it isnt then this must be a quirk of speed sheep rolling the speed off. 4 traits I would expect at least one non misc one to show up personally.

todays:

this is every non rare/blessing based misc trait in the trait table. which falls into the 4 main traits/2 rare traits pattern of the dom traits.  4/5 I missed one apparently ( I keep forgetting some of them got moved to other categories so I didnt notice that sooner)

Spoiler

QSm0ZL2.png

xjPtFC8.png

my other lambs since the patch 🙂 I have 4 pairs and todays is round 2 of breeding of a pen so not sure where the heck 1 of the lambs went if it was born. thinking the nonfat mother must have miscarried.( I expected her to I just didnt check her every day.)

SwD8p13.png

BcdkIbA.png

my wild parent donkeys so far:

xpcJfwW.png

mZn2hyH.png

is give more resources for butchering if not this might be misplaced:

NZh5cJE.png

this is more what I expected:

4xAk9fq.png

JZhezh8.png

if the sheep traits are being wierd since they come from speed/draft parents then all good I kinda expected it xD. but just asking for clarification if it's a bug or not.

edit I butchered the first white lamb. but its color in the screenshot is listing it as grey. O.o

if its just the ui being stupid great ( not sarcastic)! we have a lot of ui bugs right now xD. if it is not the ui being stupid and its pulling from the trait database weird on birth/conception tho that might need looked into.

TF7P4tm.png

of course it was the one I butchered tho so we cant check if it self corrected ><

Edited by Yserin
spacing between images. realized one of the color traits for the sheep is wrong

I get a truck load of misc and am pretty annoyed that you still cant custom build. Traits still roll from one parent and the increased chance to pass on traits is only in the dom category not the extra ones, my tough bugger pair is still yet to pass on after ~40 foals since last patch. At this point it seems that the devs have no intention of fixing that since there has been nothing said to suggest it is intentional or not that they took this away from us. 

Edited by SmeJack
  • Like 1
  • Cat 1

I've killed half/+ of the new ones, odds seem to be similar to prepatch when you breed same traited horses, I saw no benefit to breed speed+draft(most often it takes traits from 1 parent or rng shoots a 1+1 trait or some odd poor and useless combination of traits.. while base is best one can obtain to use), as I had not a single 4+4 => 2+2 or anything like that; prepatch it was possible to get 4speed or draft and 1 of the other trait.. which is quite rare and just so useless if only that happens; 95 skill still only at best reaches 90 points to be utilized.

In a system with points.. I fail to see breeding with high skill and keeping high trait numbers, if this system have been tested can we see something from the internal tests.. or can we on pvE get pvp breeding timers.. if it's meant to be broken rng and luck with no skill/trait interaction.. the only bugging part here is time, which on pvE is extreme.. with it's common 9-11 days(95 ah skill and I often see this as breeding timers, bad rng or skill doesn't seem to often shorten the pregnancy time as promised). Obtaining and relying on any rare traits on pvE is dumb.. makes it only viable on pvp.. and since horses there die fast.. it's best to breed a good rare trait+combo traits.. and sell it on pve to highest bidder.

It's maybe well designed system for variety.. but the usability is disgusting for human beings.. it still seems Vegas style - rng slot machine. I think I still got speed traited bisons... as that was promised to be impossible.. rest was misc/combat/output mixes.. but no draft traits.. there's only 1 useful trait for bisons.. we cant ride, can't do anything with them... they are practically useless with any other but draft trait.

Donkeys are rumored to have draft bonus and be better than horses, how... if draft horses have the new fat-horse look and are supposed to be special breed that is really good at one job... pulling weight around...

How is a donkey better than racial draft horse? How is halfbreed mule better than draft horse? Where do bisons align for pulling carts/wagons with new restrictions? Do old normal and hellhorse speed bonuses help for both speed and draft now or just the one...

Inheritance of traits should be possible somehow... and we need some sort to obtain the rare traits(besides extremely tiny chance every 1.5 weeks).. donkeys/mules can't be the best mounts for pulling vehicles(or deafening people with double of the longest sounds that can be played when hitting/killing an animal).

Is there somebody with UX/game testing background to join the team and give some feedback about some of the latest content, it just seems untested and just released, sure it works, but the results are.. i don't know.. leaves a person speechless when it comes to dealing with them on daily basis.

15 hours ago, SmeJack said:

Traits still roll from one parent and the increased chance to pass on traits is only in the dom category not the extra ones, my tough bugger pair is still yet to pass on after ~40 foals

I can add that. from my very limited experience so far, it looks like the "Misc" traits are passed around 50 % of the time. This could/could not be a little higher than before, where I found it to be around 30 %.

But yea, the question right now is: what did this path actually fix?

The quoted section is not related to misc its not a dominant category, they are so common you could very easily believe they are passing when really its just coincidence

yeah most of my good luck was round one.

if you tweeked misc I think it was in the wrong direction.

color seems to be working as intended at least so far? def seeing a couple random but much better then I got before. but this is still a low amount of animals.

uHeFQYX.png

this one I think is a side effect from being 5 points under cap >< I might break down and just go to 80AH and pray /sigh. I struggle with the draft so much more then the speed.

XH21wV1.png

--

speeds

Spoiler

7EfgVIE.png

lHbF8k9.png

Edited by Yserin

18 hours ago, Yserin said:

this one I think is a side effect from being 5 points under cap >< I might break down and just go to 80AH and pray /sigh. I struggle with the draft so much more then the speed.

I've found it easy enough to get 4-draft traited offsprings at 90 AH, even before this patch.

Today I got 8 mules with 4-draft traits and 1 mule with 3 draft traits. I got 9 mules in total today. That's a well above average day, of course, but it doesn't change my point: I find it way easier to breed drafters at higher AH skill.

Edited by Borstaskor
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, SmeJack said:

The quoted section is not related to misc its not a dominant category, they are so common you could very easily believe they are passing when really its just coincidence

That's nonsense. There are 6 different misc. traits, so the probabilty of picking a specific one of them randomly is only 17 %. Considering there are also e.g. output traits to pick from, the probability is below 10 %. 

Meanwhile, the probability of one of them actually passing from parent to foal is closer to 50 %, although as I said I have few data yet.

(And unfortunately won't get very large data since I hardly have any horses left with these traits.)

Edited by CistaCista

One good example of latest patch and results.. with 95AH skill

4draft male parent, 3 speed fem parent, result is bsb/fsb filler; white+ebony black = chestnut somehow

67adbf08b687d62a5dc2ccc4ce8ea6bb.jpg

In some cases traits transfer really well:

756a6e0a28c726a6c21c3ff5ced5a6bb.jpg

..but that doesn't always make sense or result in a useful creature(bison's only useful trait is draft.. possibly output for milk, anything else is cuddly bonus, but nothing else)

Unless you're desperate for a exceptionally friendly bison, which also happen to be ok for shield/def stance grind.

Edited by Finnn

Has taken 86 foals since this patch for tough bugger to fluke from parent to child in the speed horse, I now for the first time since the ah update 5 months ago have the horse I am trying to breed (if we ignore the fact that it is not only the wrong colour but not the colour of either parent), what we don't have is any indication if this is how it is supposed to be from now and if I can expect it to take 6 months for the next one.

Sign in to follow this