Sign in to follow this  
DemonaNightshade

Valrei International: Creative Constructs Winners!

Next time we do a design event, can we include chaos in on it?

There's a big difference between looking and actually being, defendable. Deeds on chaos look dumb and mostly like big dirt walls, but they're meant to keep enemy kingdoms out. Because the deeds on chaos are functionally appealing rather then cosmetically appealing, they have their own sort of beauty to them.

That being said, i really enjoyed looking through the what people created, there's some really awesome looking deeds.

2 hours ago, Polojordan said:

Next time we do a design event, can we include chaos in on it?

Can we please do something that isn't a design event instead?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Madnath said:

Can we please do something that isn't a design event instead?

Some sort of challenge would be nice

Congrats to the winners! Very nice work there. I've only seen Seriphina's lovely place in person, and as I'm sure it is with the others, pictures don't quite do it justice. Truly beautiful place :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Archaed said:

Stan is the only one who understood the assignment 

Actual manipulation of whats commonly thought possible, experiments resulting in weird and wacky but still wonderful ideas.

The voters reaction?

4cGufqO.png

• Cat 1

5 hours ago, Archaed said:

Stan is the only one who understood the assignment 

I believe wacky and wild category was used as miscellaneous/other by most people. (For example: I only posted my thing there because I'm proud of all the things I have done in this game. Never thought this competition really fit it. But wacky and wild was obscure enough though, so why the heck not. Posting it just to show for people who would not travel there and see it.)  The categories seemed to me a bit restrictive to begin with. But who ever holds the competition sets the rules and that is ok.

(I love Stan's design though and kinda agree with what you say, just there was not enough options/categories.)

Oh, another edit, the more important one: Congratulations to winners! (how did that get left out from the beginning? I blame lack of sleep and abundance of beer)

3rd, hopefully last edit: Thank you for the competition. Though I didn't agree with categories, this sort of stuff is good for the game. Lot of creative players get the showcase for their stuff and common ground to show new ideas. It also makes creativity seem more appreciated and worth of your time. After all, sandbox has the biggest potential on creativity (yes, survival is part too, but being creative is more important, at least if you want your game to survive long). So more of these please.

Edited by Nestangol
at first missed 2 words and then realised I forgot most important stuff. 3rd edit, see above...

Thoroughly unimpressed with complaints about and second-guessing of the judging.  The nature of a design competition is that there is always a subjective element, and they were the judges and you weren't so unless you are alleging that there was some kind of impropriety - for which you have evidence - then please try to keep your commentary supportive.  How do you think you would feel to win a creative contest and then your own peers griping and moaning that someone else should have won?

With friends like these...

Anyway, from me, congratulations to all the winners, placers and honourable mentions.  In fact, congratulations if you even had something you thought worth submitting - your creativity and implementation exceeds mine immeasurably.  My main Wurm house is basically a big green box, and I am in awe of what others can do creatively, in Wurm and in real life.  Well done, all.

• Like 8

15 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

Thoroughly unimpressed with complaints about and second-guessing of the judging.  The nature of a design competition is that there is always a subjective element, and they were the judges and you weren't so unless you are alleging that there was some kind of impropriety - for which you have evidence - then please try to keep your commentary supportive.  How do you think you would feel to win a creative contest and then your own peers griping and moaning that someone else should have won?

With friends like these...

Anyway, from me, congratulations to all the winners, placers and honourable mentions.  In fact, congratulations if you even had something you thought worth submitting - your creativity and implementation exceeds mine immeasurably.  My main Wurm house is basically a big green box, and I am in awe of what others can do creatively, in Wurm and in real life.  Well done, all.

Sorry, but I'm thinking you are reading things overly negative. Unless I missed something (I only read forums about Wurm, no social media nonsense for me, thank you), no-one has alleged anything. If you are referring to something outside this thread, it would be nice to mention.

Any design competition I've ever seen elsewhere, there's been differing opinions (I guess you can call it complaint) about the results. And public competitions for new buildings or statues or such IRL, have you ever read/heard the comments about them? Here I have read no-one say anything negative about the submissions, only wondering results of one category. Hence my post above about it being used as miscellaneous/other in lack of such category. And it having the most varied submissions. Which makes it even harder to judge.

From the original competition post: 

Wacky and Wild!

Over the top! The weirder the better!

Insane decorations or structures, extreme colors and designs.

Leaves plenty of room for interpretation. So it's no wonder, there's different opinions about it. At least for each other category first line under the name seems the definition of the category and second line more or less examples. How do you read the Wacky and wild! ?

What I totally agree with you is that judges of competition have spoken and these are the results. All the submissions were great and decisions must have been really hard. All winners deserved their place. And there should not be personal attacks or accusation of bias (but these I have not seen).

Now about the categories. I said earlier I don't like the (at least my perceived) restrictiveness of the categories. Well, simply put, there should have been a bit more of them. But I also believe, they must have worked inside a budgeted limit of max 4 categories. I don't like to only criticize but also try to provide alternatives. So after thinking of how I would have arranged it with only 4 options I'm a little more accepting of them. I came up with few ways for it, but not anything optimal and in the end still very subjective. Someone else would probably totally slam my opinion. But for one example it could have been: 1. Castles, cities and cathedrals or Huge builds. 2. Farm life and nature. 3. Colors and lighting. 4. Miscellaneous/other (probably called Fantasy or something) for anything else. (Still the other category would have been the one that would divide the opinions.) Other possibilities, like location based (coastal, mountain, forests etc.), element-themes, indoor decorations, etc. could also be used.

I also thought about how I would categorize some real-life type builds. Where would I have placed Versailles, Notre Dame or Colosseum? (Those I considered about with categories used for the competition and they wouldn't have fit directly in any, at least in my opinion.)

But categories were what they were and in the end it doesn't matter, unless they make another competition, which I do hope they will.

On 10/1/2021 at 2:29 AM, Nestangol said:

Sorry, but I'm thinking you are reading things overly negative. Unless I missed something (I only read forums about Wurm, no social media nonsense for me, thank you), no-one has alleged anything. If you are referring to something outside this thread, it would be nice to mention.

Any design competition I've ever seen elsewhere, there's been differing opinions (I guess you can call it complaint) about the results. And public competitions for new buildings or statues or such IRL, have you ever read/heard the comments about them? Here I have read no-one say anything negative about the submissions, only wondering results of one category. Hence my post above about it being used as miscellaneous/other in lack of such category. And it having the most varied submissions. Which makes it even harder to judge.

From the original competition post: 

Wacky and Wild!

Over the top! The weirder the better!

Insane decorations or structures, extreme colors and designs.

Leaves plenty of room for interpretation. So it's no wonder, there's different opinions about it. At least for each other category first line under the name seems the definition of the category and second line more or less examples. How do you read the Wacky and wild! ?

What I totally agree with you is that judges of competition have spoken and these are the results. All the submissions were great and decisions must have been really hard. All winners deserved their place. And there should not be personal attacks or accusation of bias (but these I have not seen).

If person A is declared the winner and then a peer of person A declares that someone else SHOULD have won, and goes so far as to imply the judges weren't doing their job, how is that NOT negative about the submission of the winner?  Apart from anything else, it is graceless and petty.  If people really liked someone's submission, then there was PLENTY of time to say so in a way that bears no reflection at all on anyone else's entry.  To grumble after the fact that a particular person didn't win is exactly the same as complaining that the person who did win won.  That is indeed negative.

Edited by TheTrickster
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

and goes so far as to imply the judges weren't doing their job

I read this thread again and that has not been said by anyone. Though I'm sure you'll come around to explain how you define word imply and twist it to worst possible interpretation of it.

To grumble after the fact that a particular person didn't win is exactly the same as complaining that the person who did win won.

Well with that circular logic...

edit: But this is starting to twist this whole thread to more negative direction. I'm sure you will feel need to respond to this. I will only respond to your posts in pm's from now on. if I feel like responding at all. Just to avoid unnecessary derailing.

Edited by Nestangol
stated right there

Thank you for this awesome contest. Hoping to see more content like this in the future!

• Like 2

Hi everyone :)

Do you know when the winner's price are distribute ?

Ty for answer :)

Hello! I'm waiting to hear back from our parent company who is reaching out to the company sponsoring and taking care of the payouts. I hoped it would be a quick process but it's a bit of a game of telephone. I'll reach out to the winners once I know the next steps! 

• Like 4

I'm still waiting on word from the big guys! Sorry it's taking so long, it's out of my control at this point :(

• Like 2

On 10/21/2021 at 7:00 PM, DemonaNightshade said:

I'm still waiting on word from the big guys! Sorry it's taking so long, it's out of my control at this point :(

Thanks for the update! I'll point my big, sad eyes in their direction. 😄

Hi ! do you have some news ? As i'm from France, i'm not on the list of land authoryze by  G-Loot. for the price, so do you think all price come together ?

On 10/21/2021 at 8:00 PM, DemonaNightshade said:

Do we have the option of receiving silvers from the shop instead of USD? I would much prefer to invest that money right back into Wurm (in the form of a scale set :P)

@DemonaNightshade

Edited by Goldfinch
  • Like 4

I think I would also choose a silver in-game, this deed eats some silver for upkeep : P

Same, I was planning on investing it right back into the game anyway 🙂 Hope you hear from them soon Demona

Hi !

Do you really think, we'll get the price one day ??!!! i don't question your good will, i'm just asking myself if they really want to pay it....

Contest ending in early july, winners choose on 23 september, and on november 15 we're still waiting the price.... i'm very secptic, sorry...

• Like 1