Sign in to follow this  
DemonaNightshade

Valrei International: Creative Constructs Winners!

valrei%20international.jpg

Hello Wurmians! It’s been a little while since our last Valrei International, and I’d like to apologize for that and let you know we have not forgotten about you! Although things have been quiet, we have been working away in the background squashing some bugs, implementing some fixes, and working on new features and content for you all to enjoy. Thank you for your patience with us during this time!

Squashing Some Bugs

bugs.jpg

With the maintenance restart this week, we’ll be implementing some balances and bugfixes concerning the animal update, and a few other things. There will be a few tweaks to traits, such as a fix to make the “seems to pick stuff up” and “seems stationary” traits work properly and making less useful traits on a creature become less common (sheep with draft traits, for example). The chance to pass on dominant traits has been improved, and already existing traits in parents will be even more likely to pass on to offspring than newly generated ones. This includes an increased chance to pass on coat colors. The chance for miscellaneous traits has been reduced a bit to encourage dominant traits passing on. There will also be a fix for donkeys and mules making horse sounds instead.

On top of trait tweaking, we’ve worked a bit on the feeding of animals. Creatures in caves will once again be able to eat food from the ground, and the nutrition of hay will be increased so your horses can become fat and happy on a diet of hay. We have also tweaked the pathing to food a bit and have reduced the chance of grass packing while your critters are moving around. This should cut down on some of the time spent unpacking and replanting grass and lawns. You will also now be able to breed animals when they are slightly hungry instead of needing to make sure they are stuffed to the brim before attempting to breed.

While most of the update will be focused on animal husbandry changes, there will be a few other things (and a new 100 skill title!) coming with the patch.

Creative Constructs Building Contest

Many of you have been eagerly looking forward to the announcing of the winners in the Creative Constructs building contest. Well, the wait is over! The team has gone over every one of the wonderful entries, and your creativity was very inspiring. After a tough decision, we’ve finally found our winners. Congratulations to all of you!

Combat and Defense Theme

1. Wilczan
  2. Seriphina
  3. Thalorane

Spoiler

Wilczan:

CD1-Wilczan.jpg

Seriphina:

CD2-Seriphina.jpg

Thalorane:

CD3-Thalorane.jpg

Cozy Ranches and Farms Theme

1. Miell
  2. Goldfinch
  3. LadyCygnet

Spoiler

Miell:

CR1-Miell.jpg

Goldfinch:

CR2-Goldfinch.jpg

LadyCygnet:

CR3-LadyCygnet.jpg

Place of Business Theme

1. Annyil
  2. Kasumi
  3. Eudoxia

Spoiler

Annyil:

PB1-Annyil.jpg

Kasumi:

PB2-Kasumi.jpg

Eudoxia:

PB3-Eudoxia.jpg

Wacky and Wild Theme

1. Ayaana
  2. Jaz
  3. Stanlee

Spoiler

Ayaana:

WW1-Ayaana.jpg

Jaz:

WW2-Jaz.jpg

Stanlee:

WW3-Stanlee.jpg

You guys came up with some amazing entries for the contest! It was definitely hard to pick the winners out of all of the entries we had. I will be in contact with the winners through the forums in the next few days, so watch your inbox if you're one of them!

Upcoming Community Hosted Events (with a lovely Halloween theme!)

skellies.jpg

Scary season is right around the corner, and with it comes two spooktacular community events in celebration of Halloween. With an event on each server cluster, everyone will have the chance to hang out with all the other boys and ghouls, BOO-gie down in arenas fighting off creepy critters, and improve items (or get theirs improved) while all the festivities go down.

Festival of the Veil Impalong

Festival%20of%20the%20Veil%20Impalong.jp

For those of you on the Northern Isles, you’re invited to attend the Festival of The Veil, hosted by Rogue Cathedral. This event will run on the Cadence server from the 24th of October to the 30th. For more information on this Impalong event, check out the post below!

New Festival Cove's Halloween Haunted House Impalong

New%20Festival%20Cove%20Halloween%20Impa

For everyone on the Southern cluster of servers, you are invited to Independence to New Festival Cove where you’ll find a Halloween Haunted House Impalong hosted by Vooch and Thicket! This event takes place on the 22nd of October through the 25th of October. Information on this event can be found on the post below.

Myself and other GMs will be there during both events to cause havoc, as usual.... Make sure to bring a tent along in the case of creepy critters galore! Of course, there will be some spooktacular happenings all around Wurm during Halloweentime whether you are able to attend a community event or not. That’s it for this issue of the Valrei International! Congratulations once again to the Creative Constructs winners.

• Like 28

3 hours ago, DemonaNightshade said:

There will be a few tweaks to traits, such as a fix to make the “seems to pick stuff up” and “seems stationary” traits work properly and making less useful traits on a creature become less common (sheep with draft traits, for example). The chance to pass on dominant traits has been improved, and already existing traits in parents will be even more likely to pass on to offspring than newly generated ones. This includes an increased chance to pass on coat colors. The chance for miscellaneous traits has been reduced a bit to encourage dominant traits passing on.

You can all laugh at me later, but all of this sounds quite terrifying to me, and I just want that to be on the record.

1) “seems to pick stuff up” and “seems stationary”...  But "Easy on gear"!? This is the number one trait that needs to be fixed, but it's not mentioned here. It's one of the core draft traits, what is it supposed to do for the draft animals?

2) "The chance to pass on dominant traits has been improved" - what does this even mean? The dominant category is already retained 99 % of the time. What every breeder wants is to arrive at the max traits in that category, and this already happens when you keep breeding animals within that category, so what exactly is being fixed? I fear that the dominant traits that are in your animal from now on will be passed on 100 % of the time, which would mean the end of the thrill of the profession.

3) "already existing traits in parents will be even more likely to pass on to offspring than newly generated ones". If this is about the neutral traits such as the combat traits that are impossible to pass, then great! If it is about something else, then they are probably breaking something that is working at the moment.

4) "an increased chance to pass on coat colors". Coat colors were already fixed on 3rd of June! The June patchnotes said: "Horses are now much more likely to pass on the colour of one of their parents"  Coat colors are working splendid now. Please don't break them. Making coat color always follows the parents is a kick in the face to new breeders, who can only buy the smarty coats from us veterans.

5) "The chance for miscellaneous traits has been reduced a bit to encourage dominant traits passing on.". Again, what is being fixed here? The dominant category already is retained 99 % of the time, as I said. You already eliminated negative traits - my Fo priest has not been premium since that patch because I haven't seen a single negative trait since then. Please don't delete more traits.

Overall, I feel like I am re-reading the patch notes from June, and that the changes coming tomorrow will just break the things that have actually been working since then.

When the big patch hit in May, I started breeding a few donkeys on the side. I never bred many of them, and they were parked off-deed where I tended to forget about them, but I selected carefully throughout the summer. From 0-trait donkeys I have now arrived at 4-draft donkeys and 4-draft mules. Isn't this how breeding is intended to work? The breeder is able to slowly increase the number of desired traits in the herd until after some month you can arrive at the maximum. So again, I fear that they are going to completely mess up this balance with some heavy-handed changes in the patch tomorrow...

Edited by CistaCista
  • Like 5

22 minutes ago, CistaCista said:

You can all laugh at me later, but all of this sounds quite terrifying to me, and I just want that to be on the record.

They're just words, they can't hurt you. 

• Like 2

Cheers to all the winners of the contest!

It was great seeing what creations many players put alot of effort into all in one post.

• Like 1

Thanks Demona for your work, and thanks to the team for the updates on AH, hope they will work out well. Great congratulations for the contest winners.

• Like 2

Ty , i'm as surprise as happy \o/ and congrats to all other winner

• Like 4

Congratulations to the winners! We all worked really hard to make awesome deeds. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DemonaNightshade said:

Wacky and Wild Theme

1. Ayaana
  2. Jaz
  3. Stanlee

Is this the wrong way around?

• Like 1
  • Cat 1

1 hour ago, Madnath said:
10 hours ago, DemonaNightshade said:

Wacky and Wild Theme

1. Ayaana
  2. Jaz
  3. Stanlee

Have to agree with Madnath on this one. While you can see all the hard work and effort that has gone into all of these builds, the first two in the Wacky and Wild theme don't feel as Wacky and Wild as the third. That's just my 5cents though. Regardless, Great work everyone! You all did a fantastic job and the proof is in the screenshots. On a side not, any of you selling your skills to help design a deed :D

• Like 2
  • Cat 1

Congrats to all you winners. I'll be taking note of where these are and will defo be visting with a Scout.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, CistaCista said:

1) “seems to pick stuff up” and “seems stationary”...  But "Easy on gear"!? This is the number one trait that needs to be fixed, but it's not mentioned here. It's one of the core draft traits, what is it supposed to do for the draft animals?

2) "The chance to pass on dominant traits has been improved" - what does this even mean? The dominant category is already retained 99 % of the time. What every breeder wants is to arrive at the max traits in that category, and this already happens when you keep breeding animals within that category, so what exactly is being fixed? I fear that the dominant traits that are in your animal from now on will be passed on 100 % of the time, which would mean the end of the thrill of the profession.

3) "already existing traits in parents will be even more likely to pass on to offspring than newly generated ones". If this is about the neutral traits such as the combat traits that are impossible to pass, then great! If it is about something else, then they are probably breaking something that is working at the moment.

4) "an increased chance to pass on coat colors". Coat colors were already fixed on 3rd of June! The June patchnotes said: "Horses are now much more likely to pass on the colour of one of their parents"  Coat colors are working splendid now. Please don't break them. Making coat color always follows the parents is a kick in the face to new breeders, who can only buy the smarty coats from us veterans.

5) "The chance for miscellaneous traits has been reduced a bit to encourage dominant traits passing on.". Again, what is being fixed here? The dominant category already is retained 99 % of the time, as I said. You already eliminated negative traits - my Fo priest has not been premium since that patch because I haven't seen a single negative trait since then. Please don't delete more traits.

Overall, I feel like I am re-reading the patch notes from June, and that the changes coming tomorrow will just break the things that have actually been working since then.

When the big patch hit in May, I started breeding a few donkeys on the side. I never bred many of them, and they were parked off-deed where I tended to forget about them, but I selected carefully throughout the summer. From 0-trait donkeys I have now arrived at 4-draft donkeys and 4-draft mules. Isn't this how breeding is intended to work? The breeder is able to slowly increase the number of desired traits in the herd until after some month you can arrive at the maximum. So again, I fear that they are going to completely mess up this balance with some heavy-handed changes in the patch tomorrow...

CONGRATS TO ALL THE WINNERS!!!! I LOVE YOUR INGENUITY~~~!!!! and now i have ideas too 🙂

I have a saying and maybe you can use it too. "Hope for the best be prepared for the worst." The idea is why get worked up over something you cannot control. So do prepare how you can, and if there is nothing you can do about it. You, as you said, have mad your displeasure noted. But TBF the devs NEVER release info willingly, so you cannot claim to know whats going on. You can only, like always, just speculate. So nothing as i see it has really changed for you.

1.easy on gear is meant to be unlikely to pass on, it creates a market/economy that thrives because not everyone has one AND its unlikely to pass making them worth getting. If you look at it though the way things are phrased it seems to be more likely to pass in certain situations. so it might be a boon.
2.It means that, if i understand correctly...the base pair animals having the same traits as each other become dominant. Just like with people and their kids. A blue eyes person with a brown eye person has a 1/4 chance to have blue eyes but two parents with blues eyes makes the trait dominant. they will never tell you WHAT they fixed...just that they fixed it...been part of the game for 12 years.
3. this is just fear based on nothing....wait for the patch and figure it out like we always do.
4. yes, they were but they were tweak here obviously something wasn't working correctly.  and not at all, unless you are on CAD as i suspect all other servers still have spawned horses....so plenty to nab when sailing from server to server.
5. Again you are guessing here, what i think it means is the base pairs traits if they are the same become dominant whereas one parent and another with different traits will likely not pass on the dads traits that are random and lesser. I.E. they both have lightning speed but dad has a rare "unbelievably fast" trait. Because only 1 parent has the trait its now recessive trait. Then add to that most foals gain stats from mom as the main indicator been that way since forever. My guess is they'll be adding more traits not less.

overall you are probably correct as they make the patch notes as general as possible to not givew away any changes, thus it seems the same. Also, it makes perfect sense to tweak the previous patch fixes if they found something didnt work as intended and now they know what it is and how to fix it(one hopes).

That IS a distinct possibility...people also didnt like the idea that the earth was round or it revolved around the sun and not the sun around it...new things take time to adjust too.

You all already know i have no love for DEVs or A fire bit of the staff and that ill be quitting the 28th. So i am by no means a fan boi of the game.

Just give it a chance cista, write down all the issues you find and any complaints you have after a few months and put here the issues you have. that way the DEVs can look into it and fix it...but youll prolly sadly get the same general patch notes when they do lol.

Edited by azuleslight
congrats
  • Like 2

Amazing designs everyone! Congratulations to the winners!!! ❤️

• Like 1

I’m really surprised, but I’m really happy, thank you so much for the placement!

Congratulations to the other winners, you are very creative! 😊

• Like 4

12 hours ago, CistaCista said:

point 3. this could lead to having a reason to up AH skill a bit more if people want to aim for spark and other non dom traits given there is a set amount of traits in any given dom pool. seems a bit redundant with point 2. and then gets harder with point 5 however.

concerning point 2: my experience was that I lost the dominate category more then I kept it when breeding this was 100% the reason I stopped playing. That fixed I could even deal with the rest of the mess, I could live with it.  all my 4speed and 4 draft animals kept giving me output and combat rolling off the dom category. Granted this is a larger hassle for small time breeders rather then the bigger ones since we cant brute force the numbers.

I agree with point 4 for the most part. def need some of it to be random and it notably got improved if you had both parents the same color already with the last tweek. but this kinda depends if like traits the color is more likely to pass on when both parents are the same color vs not either way I am worried this will go to far the other direction.

Point 5. is def an issue the redundancy is prob going to make things go to far the other direction then intended.

point 1. we are probably stuck with this. as useless as it is on bison it should effect the shoes at least ( if its working) I still feel it should give a minor speed boost on top of that to count as a draft trait since speed horses/unicorns/mules also wear gear.

-------------------

Grats to the winners! I am glad that finally got announcd!

edit: failing at typing.

Edited by Yserin
punctuation is necessary. so is not accedently not typing words.

Just wanted to say thank you, & no matter on placement - all the deeds entered were/are incredibly well made. I am just as shocked to have won first, but I am thankful.

❤️

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Madnath said:

Nope. Each dev picked their top 3 favorites from each category and the ones with the most tallies won. 

• Like 3