Sign in to follow this  
Vorticella

Lockable saddle bags

When visiting another server or using any unbranded horse, the animal must be tame in order to access saddle bags. It's never a good idea to ride around on a tamed horse, so we tame just to equip the gear then immediately untame. This lets us safely ride the horse with gear, but the saddle bags end up not being useful in situations where they would be particularly nice to have, like traveling far from home to do some archaeology, for example. If we could add a lock to saddle bags like other containers, we could adjust permissions to keep the contents secure but still be able to access them even if the animal is not branded or tamed.

• Like 10

Yes to access without taming or branding.  If the beast is docile enough to let you lead it and ride it, then it will let you access saddle bags.

I was not so sure about lockability (because the RL analog wouldn't be lockable, mostly) but can't think of another more workable mechanism, so yeah to that also (and honestly, ho does putting a padlock on a rowboat do anything?).

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, TheTrickster said:

Yes to access without taming or branding.  If the beast is docile enough to let you lead it and ride it, then it will let you access saddle bags.

I was not so sure about lockability (because the RL analog wouldn't be lockable, mostly) but can't think of another more workable mechanism, so yeah to that also (and honestly, ho does putting a padlock on a rowboat do anything?).

The problem is that anyone within reach would also be able to take things from them, since an unbranded/untamed animal has no permissions attached to it.

I will also add that the lock shouldn't change anything else about permissions; this is strictly about the bags and nothing else. So the horse would not become "yours" as it does with branding/taming. It would just be carrying a locked container, basically. You would still need to be cautious about disembarking on a deed or leaving the horse unattended in the wild. Another player could still take or kill the animal and steal its gear if they got their hands on it, but they would have to wait for the saddle bags to decay to access the contents, like with chests.

As for the RL analog, I don't know about saddle bags specifically but there are locks for luggage irl, so it's not so hard to imagine they could exist for saddle bags too in some way :)

• Like 2

In general riding around with a non-branded horse is risky. With the bugginess, getting thrown off a horse isn’t too rare and if it happens while riding through someone else’s deed, you’re out of luck. Lockable saddle bags could be neat, but I’d also like to see some sort of soft version of branding when visiting other servers. Maybe if horse is cared for AND is not branded, then character caring for can lead or tame the animal anywhere (but other players can still do it as well if on their own deed or off deed). Yes, that puts some animals at risk (I have a couple cared for by people who quit/aren’t around), but I think it’s worth the tradeoff. (or maybe there’s a better system like a temporary soft brand like a nametag or something that gets destroyed after a week or when changing servers)

Lockable no, I am all for permissions based opening no matter take or not.    Permissions being put to effect upon branding, naturally.  Don’t have a deed on that server you went to for the dragon fight, oh well, 1st world problems.

Edited by Nomadikhan

2 hours ago, LionIX said:

In general riding around with a non-branded horse is risky. With the bugginess, getting thrown off a horse isn’t too rare and if it happens while riding through someone else’s deed, you’re out of luck. Lockable saddle bags could be neat, but I’d also like to see some sort of soft version of branding when visiting other servers. Maybe if horse is cared for AND is not branded, then character caring for can lead or tame the animal anywhere (but other players can still do it as well if on their own deed or off deed). Yes, that puts some animals at risk (I have a couple cared for by people who quit/aren’t around), but I think it’s worth the tradeoff. (or maybe there’s a better system like a temporary soft brand like a nametag or something that gets destroyed after a week or when changing servers)

This idea is purely about using saddle bags on unbranded horses, without changing anything else about mount permissions. It is risky using unbranded horses, but I don't have an issue with that, personally, and it's a slightly different conversation than what this is meant to be. 

2 hours ago, Nomadikhan said:

Lockable no, I am all for permissions based opening no matter take or not.

I'm not sure I understand this point of view. Are you saying you'd prefer saddle bags to have built in adjustable permissions by default? Extra permissions for saddle bags are not needed most of the time since we usually use branded horses. That would also create a problem if you wanted to sell them, eg. on a merchant along with other horse gear. The permissions system is already complicated and hard to navigate as it is; we definitely don't need another layer added for this. Giving the option to add a padlock would mean that saddle bags would work just as they do now, unless you want to add extra security by attaching a lock. That way those who want to use that option can enjoy the benefits and if you don't like it, just don't use it and nothing will change for you.

2 hours ago, Nomadikhan said:

Permissions being put to effect upon branding, naturally.  Don’t have a deed on that server you went to for the dragon fight, oh well, 1st world problems.

It's a bit much to expect every player to have or be a citizen of a deed on every server, just to be able to use saddle bags.

Saddle bags are a form of luggage. The purpose of luggage is to increase your carrying capacity for travel, so not being able to use them particularly when traveling far from home, just doesn't make any sense.

Edited by Vorticella
  • Like 1

Love this suggestion! How many times I would have needed this for my Wurm Roulette streams!!!!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Darnok said:

What if someone steals a horse with a secured saddle bag?

They could remove it from the saddle but would have to wait for the bag to decay to access the contents, same as with other locked containers.