Sign in to follow this  
olafhairybreeks

Output traits explained

Hello all! I thought I'd record some of my experiences with output traits and their effect on milk and wool output. I have a herd of sheep I'm trying to breed output traits into for personal use and sale. For full disclosure, these are the results I get with 48.88 milking and 91.32 animal husbandry. For shearing I use 85.80ql iron scissors with 75coc, and I use a 46.98ql cedar bucket with a volume rune for milking.

The traits I'm looking at today are:

• It seems vibrant - Increases the output of resources
  • It gives more resources - Increases output of resources such as wool and milk
  • It has very good genes - Increased amount and quality of resources like milk and wool

I'm not taking into account other traits, whatever category they are from. First lets look at some control sheep. Happysheep is an aged ram with no output traits. He gives me 0.40kgs of wool, and on this shearing the ql was 92.90ql, normal for me. Apple is an aged ewe with no output traits, and gives me 2kgs of milk each time.

Now sheep with 'it gives more resources'. Ambrose is another aged ram with tha trait. He gives me 0.44kgs of wool which today was 100ql. I have found that  my output sheep consistently give 100ql wool more often than non output sheep.

'Vibrant' sheep next. Banjo is an aged ram with only the vibrant trait from the output category. He gives me 0.48kgs of wool, and this shearing it was 97.28ql.

I lack adult ewes with only 'vibrant' or 'gives more resources', but I do have ewes with both traits. Pinkie is one such ewe, and is also aged. She gives me 2.60kgs of milk. Her wool output is also increased, giving me 0.52kgs which this shearing was 100ql.

Finally, my best sheep. Rosalind is aged and has the 'vibrant' trait as well as the rare output trait 'it has very good genes'. Her milk output is a huge 4.40kgs per milking! And she gives me 0.88kgs of wool, this time at 100ql.

All in all, output traits are definitely worth breeding for if you want more milk for that cheese grind, or better ql wool to imp your tapestries.

I haven't looked at any traits that affect the output of butchery items, because I refuse to kill my beloved sheeps, or butcher them after they die. Honourable burials only! I assume the above traits affect cows and bison the same way. And if anyone is breeding output cows, please pm me! 😄

EDIT I have a sheep with just the 'vibrant' trait old enough to be milked and sheared. She's an adolescent ewe called Sunflower. Today she gave me 2.40kgs of milk, and 0.24kgs of wool at 92.96ql.

I also have a 'gives more resources' ewe now, adolescent Freyja. She gives me 2.20kgs of milk, and 0.22 kgs of wool, this time at 98.41ql.

Edited by olafhairybreeks
  • Like 8
  • Cat 1

I seriously want a sheep now that has good genes and vibrant. 4.40kg of milk per milk action sounds godly

Bumping because I have some questions for you, if you don't mind answering.

The .48kg and .88kg wool you're getting from the sheep, is that one clump or a couple of pieces of wool per tick? I'm guessing one clump, but I'd like to be sure.

And for the insane 4.40kg milk producing sheep, are you getting 5 ticks of milking because each few seconds is the 1kg of milk? Sounds like it'd be amazing for grinding milking, so I really want to know about this.

14 hours ago, Madnath said:

And for the insane 4.40kg milk producing sheep, are you getting 5 ticks of milking because each few seconds is the 1kg of milk? Sounds like it'd be amazing for grinding milking, so I really want to know about this.

My guess it's a 10% bonus for each tick, so 4 ticks of 1kg (being the normal) getting a 10% bonus) 

I also have sheep with both vibrant and more resources and can verify the milk results at 1.3k per (or at higher skills, 2.6kg or 3.9kg etc)

since op and I have apparently the same approximate skill (I get 2.6kg from those sheep) my math says that 4.4kg is giving 2.2kg per which is 1.2kg over the usual amount; if it has vibrant as well this means the rare gene gives 1kg bonus milk; that's pretty impressive to me.  If you have an animal with that gene and 80 skill you'd get 8kg of milk daily, more with Vibrant and More Resources added in.  

from the wiki: 

The amount of milk produced depends on milking skill level and age of the animal:

1.00kg below 26 skill

2.00kg at 26 skill (maximum amount for Adolescent animals)

3.00kg at 53 skill (maximum amount for Mature animals)

4.00kg at 80 skill

• Like 1