Sign in to follow this  
Tpikol

wiki policy about soft skill requierements.

is it the official policy for the wiki to remove any mention of helpful information about soft skill requirements?looking at the page histories when people ask in ca help it seems like @NeeNee  has been removing them all.

me and  others have been re added some of them but if they are just going to be removed again its better to know before we go on.

some pages also have ridiculous things like the "creation chance" table in the Keel Section page which shows creation chances at up to 90 skill, which is useless for anyone. the important information has always been the minimum skill you need to create something with as low ql materials as possible, not what skill you need to get 99%.

Soft skill is so subjective you could have entire pages dedicated to it. 

Wiki is better without an overflow of it. 

If it's a hard skill requirement, put it in, but if it's "oh at 26 skill with 10ql materials I had a" 13% chance" then it's not necessary anywhere other than the discussion tab

32 minutes ago, Archaed said:

Soft skill is so subjective you could have entire pages dedicated to it. 

Wiki is better without an overflow of it. 

If it's a hard skill requirement, put it in, but if it's "oh at 26 skill with 10ql materials I had a" 13% chance" then it's not necessary anywhere other than the discussion tab

it may not be necessary for you but thats information a lot of players are looking for and when its not on the wiki that just means cas have to remember it for every item to answer the questions about it that happen all the time.

and 13% isnt the important information anyway, what you need to get 6%(the minimum) is more important.

Edited by Tpikol
  • Like 3

As a team, from before my time with the wiki, we did not want to put soft skill requirements on the wiki, because it's completely subjective. I know it's fun to blame one person, but that's actually wiki policy, not my policy. I just end up doing a lot of the editing of this sort. We put the information on the discussion pages for the use of the CAs and players and have been working with them to improve the usability of the wiki for CA as well. 

From the guide: https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Wurmpedia_editing_handbook#Stylistic_Guide We've definitely discussed this with the OP before, but it's worth repeating. 

• Don't add specific skill gains at each skill level with a specific tool. This would be better for a guide. Please make guides!
    • You may add specific gated skill levels to make an item, such as 60 carpentry required to make a large crate.
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Tpikol said:

is it the official policy for the wiki to remove any mention of helpful information about soft skill requirements?looking at the page histories when people ask in ca help it seems like @NeeNee  has been removing them all.

me and  others have been re added some of them but if they are just going to be removed again its better to know before we go on.

In general, if wiki staff are removing something from the wiki, it would be a good idea to ask why it was removed before adding it again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NeeNee said:

because it's completely subjective.

it isn't subjective, that is just not true.

there is nothing subjective about what skill level you need to be able to create something at 6% chance

1 hour ago, NeeNee said:

I know it's fun to blame one person, but that's actually wiki policy, not my policy.

it maybe fun for you, but its not fun for me to see the wiki becoming less useful.

i didn't blame you, i said that the edits i saw about this were done by you because its true and you must know why you did it.

1 hour ago, NeeNee said:

We've definitely discussed this with the OP before, but it's worth repeating.

if by discussing  this with me you mean when you decided to delete the most useful part of vehicle pages(because you were clueless about how the wiki is used) and i did everything i could to stop that from happening and in the end you were shown to be wrong and clueless about how the wiki is used then sure we did "discuss it".

2 hours ago, NeeNee said:

Don't add specific skill gains at each skill level with a specific tool. This would be better for a guide. Please make guides!

• You may add specific gated skill levels to make an item, such as 60 carpentry required to make a large crate.

neither of those has anything to do with what im talking about.

46 minutes ago, Ostentatio said:

In general, if wiki staff are removing something from the wiki, it would be a good idea to ask why it was removed before adding it again.

that's why after someone else re added one and i re added another one but saw that both had been removed by a wiki team member i decided to open this topic to ask.

7 minutes ago, Tpikol said:

it isn't subjective, that is just not true.

there is nothing subjective about what skill level you need to be able to create something at 6% chance

Someone making a guide would be useful, but putting in percents on a main wiki with varying skill levels, tool ql, material levels, etc is subjective. Not everyone will be using an 85.62 ql tool with 5.23 skill and 7.67 ql materials. We put in hard capped levels for creation because those are in the code. Feel free to make a guide for any skill you like and we can put it in the wiki, with your test results and everything. We welcome these guides. 

Minimum skill to build something, when there isn't a hard minimum, depends on, at the very least, the quality level of the tool you're using. So including "minimum skill" would require a table with skill levels at various tool QLs tested in-game, if not other factors on top of that. That's getting a bit bulky.

1 minute ago, NeeNee said:

Feel free to make a guide for any skill you like and we can put it in the wiki, with your test results and everything. We welcome these guides. 

this has nothing to do with guides because like i said that's not were people look for this information, if its not the pages where it should be, people looking for it will ask in ca help which  means somebody has to remember those numbers anyway.

3 minutes ago, NeeNee said:

85.62 ql tool with 5.23 skill and 7.67 ql materials.

of course most people who need to know this dont have 85ql tools thats why the standard "before your time" was to add the minimum skill with low ql materials. for example knowing that a hay bundle can be made at "6% chance 10 thatching skill and 20ql string" is a lot more useful than "99% change with 95 thaching and 95ql string" that second one helps nobody, the first one helps people have an approximation of what they need.

most of the table on the keel section page is just crap that doesn't help.

6 minutes ago, Ostentatio said:

Minimum skill to build something, when there isn't a hard minimum, depends on, at the very least, the quality level of the tool you're using. So including "minimum skill" would require a table with skill levels at various tool QLs tested in-game, if not other factors on top of that. That's getting a bit bulky.

and somehow the huge tables with crap about what you can do with 90 skill and 90ql mats are still there, but the simple notes that helped people get an idea of what they need are gone.

Ok, I've been asked to intervene here.  Official wiki policy has been explained, and while you don't necessarily have to like or agree with it, you do need to abide by it.  You've made your opinion on the matter clear, and I'm sure it's something the wiki team will take under advice.  You've been told how to submit percent-chance tables for skills (as a guide), which presumably can be linked to the relevant skill/item pages.

There really doesn't appear to be anything more to say.