Sign in to follow this  
WuMing

Sandstone to sand

I'd like to be able to mill sandstone to sand, to be used for terraforming, as the only current uses for sandstone are construction and paving.

• Like 9

Yeah! Milling skill - Grindstone tool - generally fast and low difficulty actions, love it! 

And vice versa, right? For those with high dig skill but low mining.

Something like a huge steel press and some alchemical substance that bind sand together and form sandstone.

Walls and fences that are destroyed or decayed could also crumble to sand.

1 minute ago, Darnok said:

And vice versa, right? For those with high dig skill but low mining.

Something like a huge steel press and some alchemical substance that bind sand together and form sandstone.

I propose a million year timer with hundreds of thousands of tons of pressure, for sure

25 minutes ago, Archaed said:

I propose a million year timer with hundreds of thousands of tons of pressure, for sure

In that case, we should not be able to extract some tiles until we invent diamond drills.

43 minutes ago, Darnok said:

In that case, we should not be able to extract some tiles until we invent diamond drills.

Can you clarify which resources require diamond drills to mine? 

9 minutes ago, Archaed said:

Can you clarify which resources require diamond drills to mine? 

There is a song called "Entry of the Gladiator" which explains it quite clearly.

It also explains a lot about the recent wave of suggestions.

On topic: 

Yes, crushing sandstone in to stone is logical. We already have the tools required for that, barely any coding required i think

On grinding remove the sandstone shard, create sand pile. Perhaps less weight to account for some material loss and impurities?

One of the things to consider is that currently we don't have many ways to create mass amounts of terraforming resources. Dirt spell is one i can think of, outside of moving existing dirt from one place to another which doesn't create anything.

Dirt requires priesthood and favor and time.

Grinding sandstone in to sand at 1:1 ratio might allow for creation of massive and ugly dirt walls everywhere, using the resource which is abundant and is probably mostly just sitting in people's storage, waiting to become useful.

Even at 4:1 ratio, army of alts could be used to mess up the maps and terrain.

Maybe some higher skill requirement could prevent that? Doesn't sound logical because breaking rocks down sounds like something a caveman could do but something to think about, not to give us a tool to create massive pyramids with very little effort..