Sign in to follow this  
Sylver

Can't manage to create a LAN server

I bought Wurm Unlimited today on Stream, but I can't manage to create a LAN server (I just want to play solo offline). I followed all of MootRed's tutorial, as well as advice here on How to create your own game (see below), but whatever I do, I can't manage to get any new server to show up in the LAN window. I've checked that the IP address is OK (through CMD and ipconfig), I've tried both the Adventure and Creative modes, but nothing works. Could it be because I'm in the UK? Or do I need something more sofisticated than just an ordinary WiFi router? I've played the game on Wurm Online, so I'm not completely unfamiliar with gameplay ... if only I could get it started!

Please help :)

Edited by Sylver

Once you click the green "Start server" button, it might take a few minutes to load. After you see this message, you should see it in WU launcher local servers section:

[06:27:52 PM] INFO com.wurmonline.server.steam.SteamHandler: Server connected to steam
Server connected to steam

Remember that this still uses network for communication so you have to let it through on the firewall. In Windows you normally get a popup from windows defender to confirm if you want to allow application XYZ to be allowed to use home/public network.

Are you getting that far or is the server GUI and black window not opening at all?

Can you provide a screenshot of your Local server tab? Where the IP addresses are shown...

Also try to direct connect to your IP address. This is done via the button left of Refresh in the server browser.

Edited by Sklo:D

1 hour ago, Locath said:

Once you click the green "Start server" button, it might take a few minutes to load. After you see this message, you should see it in WU launcher local servers section:

[06:27:52 PM] INFO com.wurmonline.server.steam.SteamHandler: Server connected to steam

Remember that this still uses network for communication so you have to let it through on the firewall. In Windows you normally get a popup from windows defender to confirm if you want to allow application XYZ to be allowed to use home/public network.

Are you getting that far or is the server GUI and black window not opening at all?

After I click the green "Start server" button, I get a red button that says "Shutdown server" next to two boxes that say Seconds to shutdown 10 and "The server is shutting down". At that point, I've always clicked the red shutdown server button, as it seems the only way forward. I've tried disabling the firewall and virus protection, but still no luck.

The WU launcher does say "Wurm Server launcher finished at Wed Sep etc etc .... Server connected to steam

Edited by Sylver

5 minutes ago, Sylver said:

After I click the green "Start server" button, I get a red button that says "Shutdown server" next to two boxes that say Seconds to shutdown 10 and "The server is shutting down". At that point, I've always clicked the red shutdown server button, as it seems the only way forward. I've tried disabling the firewall and virus protection, but still no luck.

The WU launcher does say "Wurm Server launcher finished at Wed Sep etc etc .... Server connected to steam

OK, all of that sounds correct except this part:

5 minutes ago, Sylver said:

At that point, I've always clicked the red shutdown server button, as it seems the only way forward.

Your WU launcher should be already running and you should be able to alt+tab to it while the server part of the software runs at the same time.

Are you not able to break out from the server back to the client to refresh the server list?

Here's what the WU window says:

Logs found: 0
Env var SteamAppId set to 0
D:\Stream gaming\Program\steamapps\common\Wurm Unlimited\WurmServerLauncher
Runtime path: D:\Stream gaming\Program\steamapps\common\Wurm Unlimited\WurmServerLauncher\..\runtime\bin\server\jvm.dll
Working Directory: D:\Stream gaming\Program\steamapps\common\Wurm Unlimited\WurmServerLauncher
Number of options: 7
Create java VM!
Sep 15, 2021 7:52:18 PM com.wurmonline.server.gui.WurmServerGuiMain main
INFO: WurmServerGuiMain starting
Sep 15, 2021 7:52:18 PM com.wurmonline.server.Constants load
INFO: Loading configuration file at D:\Stream gaming\Program\steamapps\common\Wurm Unlimited\WurmServerLauncher\.\Adventure\wurm.ini
Meshsize=11
NUMBER_OF_DB_ITEM_OWNERS_TO_UPDATE_EACH_TIME - null
Sep 15, 2021 7:52:18 PM com.wurmonline.server.Constants load
INFO: Loading configuration file at D:\Stream gaming\Program\steamapps\common\Wurm Unlimited\WurmServerLauncher\.\Adventure\wurm.ini
Meshsize=11
Sep 15, 2021 7:52:18 PM com.wurmonline.server.DbConnector closeAll
INFO: Starting to close all Database Connections.
Sep 15, 2021 7:52:18 PM com.wurmonline.server.DbConnector closeAll
INFO: Finished closing all Database Connections.
Sep 15, 2021 7:52:18 PM org.flywaydb.core.internal.util.VersionPrinter info
INFO: Flyway 4.0.3 by Boxfuse
Sep 15, 2021 7:52:19 PM org.flywaydb.core.internal.dbsupport.DbSupportFactory info
INFO: Database: jdbc:sqlite:Adventure/sqlite/wurmcreatures.db (SQLite 3.0)
Sep 15, 2021 7:52:19 PM org.flywaydb.core.internal.dbsupport.sqlite.SQLiteDbSupport info
INFO: SQLite does not support setting the schema. Default schema NOT changed to main
Sep 15, 2021 7:52:19 PM org.flywaydb.core.internal.dbsupport.DbSupportFactory info
INFO: Database: jdbc:sqlite:Adventure/sqlite/wurmdeities.db (SQLite 3.0)
Sep 15, 2021 7:52:19 PM org.flywaydb.core.internal.dbsupport.sqlite.SQLiteDbSupport info
INFO: SQLite does not support setting the schema. Default schema NOT changed to main
INFO: Database: jdbc:sqlite:Adventure/sqlite/wurmeconomy.db (SQLite 3.0)
INFO: Database: jdbc:sqlite:Adventure/sqlite/wurmitems.db (SQLite 3.0)
INFO: Database: jdbc:sqlite:Adventure/sqlite/wurmlogin.db (SQLite 3.0)
INFO: Database: jdbc:sqlite:Adventure/sqlite/wurmlogs.db (SQLite 3.0)
INFO: Database: jdbc:sqlite:Adventure/sqlite/wurmplayers.db (SQLite 3.0)
INFO: Database: jdbc:sqlite:Adventure/sqlite/wurmtemplates.db (SQLite 3.0)
INFO: Database: jdbc:sqlite:Adventure/sqlite/wurmzones.db (SQLite 3.0)
Loading servers
Sep 15, 2021 7:52:19 PM com.wurmonline.server.Servers loadAllServers
INFO: Loading all servers.
INFO: Loading Heavenord - 11455
INFO: Using database entry for time 5820500
Sep 15, 2021 7:52:19 PM com.wurmonline.server.zones.TilePoller calcRest
INFO: Current polltile=2126168, rest=195100 pollmodifier=56515, pollround=2
Sep 15, 2021 7:52:19 PM com.wurmonline.server.zones.TilePoller calcRest
INFO: tiles=4194304, mask=-1 ticksperday=3456000, Nthick=1, rest=195100, manypertick=true
INFO: Loaded 1 servers from the database
Sep 15, 2021 7:52:19 PM com.wurmonline.server.ServerProperties checkIfCreateTable
INFO: Created properties table in the database
Sep 15, 2021 7:52:35 PM com.wurmonline.server.DbConnector closeAll
Sep 15, 2021 7:52:35 PM com.wurmonline.server.gui.folders.Folders setCurrent
INFO: Current game folder: Creative
Sep 15, 2021 7:52:35 PM com.wurmonline.server.Constants load
INFO: Loading configuration file at D:\Stream gaming\Program\steamapps\common\Wurm Unlimited\WurmServerLauncher\.\Creative\wurm.ini
Meshsize=11
Sep 15, 2021 7:52:35 PM org.flywaydb.core.internal.dbsupport.DbSupportFactory info
INFO: Database: jdbc:sqlite:Creative/sqlite/wurmcreatures.db (SQLite 3.0)
Sep 15, 2021 7:52:35 PM org.flywaydb.core.internal.dbsupport.sqlite.SQLiteDbSupport info
Sep 15, 2021 7:52:35 PM org.flywaydb.core.internal.dbsupport.DbSupportFactory info
INFO: Database: jdbc:sqlite:Creative/sqlite/wurmdeities.db (SQLite 3.0)
Sep 15, 2021 7:52:35 PM org.flywaydb.core.internal.dbsupport.sqlite.SQLiteDbSupport info
INFO: Database: jdbc:sqlite:Creative/sqlite/wurmeconomy.db (SQLite 3.0)
INFO: Database: jdbc:sqlite:Creative/sqlite/wurmitems.db (SQLite 3.0)
INFO: Database: jdbc:sqlite:Creative/sqlite/wurmlogin.db (SQLite 3.0)
INFO: Database: jdbc:sqlite:Creative/sqlite/wurmlogs.db (SQLite 3.0)
INFO: Database: jdbc:sqlite:Creative/sqlite/wurmplayers.db (SQLite 3.0)
INFO: Database: jdbc:sqlite:Creative/sqlite/wurmtemplates.db (SQLite 3.0)
INFO: Database: jdbc:sqlite:Creative/sqlite/wurmzones.db (SQLite 3.0)
Loading servers
Sep 15, 2021 7:52:35 PM com.wurmonline.server.Servers loadAllServers
INFO: Loading all servers.
INFO: Loading Safe Haven - 32014
INFO: Using database entry for time 5824400
Sep 15, 2021 7:52:35 PM com.wurmonline.server.zones.TilePoller calcRest
INFO: Current polltile=1789898, rest=553379 pollmodifier=25385, pollround=1
Sep 15, 2021 7:52:35 PM com.wurmonline.server.zones.TilePoller calcRest
INFO: tiles=4194304, mask=-1 ticksperday=3456000, Nthick=1, rest=553379, manypertick=true
INFO: Loaded 2 servers from the database
Sep 15, 2021 7:52:35 PM com.wurmonline.server.ServerProperties checkIfCreateTable
INFO: Created properties table in the database
Sep 15, 2021 7:52:42 PM com.wurmonline.server.gui.WurmServerGuiController saveServerButtonLocalClicked
INFO: saveServerLocalButtonClicked javafx.event.ActionEvent[source=Button[id=saveServerButtonLocal, styleClass=button]'Save']
java.util.logging.config.file system property is not set so hardcoding logging
com.wurmonline logger handlers: []
Sep 15, 2021 7:52:47 PM org.fourthline.cling.UpnpServiceImpl <init>
INFO: >>> Starting UPnP service...
INFO: Using configuration: org.fourthline.cling.DefaultUpnpServiceConfiguration
Sep 15, 2021 7:52:47 PM org.fourthline.cling.transport.RouterImpl <init>
INFO: Creating Router: org.fourthline.cling.transport.RouterImpl
Sep 15, 2021 7:52:47 PM org.fourthline.cling.transport.impl.MulticastReceiverImpl init
INFO: Creating wildcard socket (for receiving multicast datagrams) on port: 1900
Sep 15, 2021 7:52:47 PM org.fourthline.cling.transport.impl.MulticastReceiverImpl init
INFO: Joining multicast group: /239.255.255.250:1900 on network interface: Qualcomm QCA61x4A 802.11ac Wireless Adapter
Sep 15, 2021 7:52:47 PM org.fourthline.cling.transport.impl.StreamServerImpl init
INFO: Created server (for receiving TCP streams) on: /192.168.1.64:60079
Sep 15, 2021 7:52:47 PM org.fourthline.cling.transport.impl.DatagramIOImpl init
INFO: Creating bound socket (for datagram input/output) on: /192.168.1.64
INFO: <<< UPnP service started successfully
Sep 15, 2021 7:52:47 PM org.flywaydb.core.internal.dbsupport.sqlite.SQLiteDbSupport info
Sep 15, 2021 7:52:47 PM org.flywaydb.core.internal.dbsupport.sqlite.SQLiteDbSupport info
Loading servers
Setting breakpad minidump AppID = 366220
Starting the server
Incoming RMI is disabled

==================================================================

Wurm Server launcher finished at Wed Sep 15 19:52:51 BST 2021

==================================================================

Then, when I click the red server shutdown window, it flashes up a message to say the server is shutting down.

9 minutes ago, Locath said:

OK, all of that sounds correct except this part:

Your WU launcher should be already running and you should be able to alt+tab to it while the server part of the software runs at the same time.

Are you not able to break out from the server back to the client to refresh the server list?

Yes, thank you!! That worked!

• Like 1

Now that I've managed to create a LAN server, I have another question. Can I play the game on my laptop, or am I confined to playing it only on the PC where I created the server? Is the game tied to the IP address? Does it mean that if my IP address were to change, I would lose any progress I made in the game? Is there any way to make sure I have a reliable world to play in?

I'm a total noob at all this server stuff, maybe my Wurm Unlimited dreams were a bit too ambitious.

Edited by Sylver

You need to have the computer and server running then you can connect to the ip of it from your laptop. You can set a password for the server and you will be inside your wifi/home network.

Stopping the server stops time /farming progress/animal ageing etc, so you might want to get a mod that let's time pass white shut down or that make crops etc get ripe after a set of days.

Edit: The ip adress of your computer where you store your server will keep the ip it has inside your home network also if your router/internet ip changes.

Edit again: Some people rent server space , then they can reach the server from anywhere, but that is mainly for public servers and that would be a bit above your needs.

Edited by Cecci

Thank you very much for your help. I managed to connect my laptop after starting the server up on my PC. I suppose it means, however, that I can only connect to it on my laptop if I'm at home and my PC is running? I always need to start the server up from the PC, is that right? And I won't be able to play the game if I go on holiday, unless I rent a server?

I saw a forum entry with a list of mods, I'll see if I can get my head around them, lol. 

7 hours ago, Sylver said:

I always need to start the server up from the PC, is that right? And I won't be able to play the game if I go on holiday, unless I rent a server?

There are few ways to go about this:

You could rent a server but costs, reliability and performance vary from provider to provider.

You could run the server on your PC at home, provided it stays on while you are away and forward the required ports on the router to that PC:

8766 TCP/UDP

Required for general Steam communication.

27016-27030 UDP
Required for Steam queries. This allows the server browsers to see your server through Steam.

3724 TCP
The Wurm Unlimited server communicates with clients on this port. (This port may be modified, see Local Server Configuration)

or you could simply copy the contents of C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Wurm Unlimited\WurmServerLauncher over to the laptop and run it the same way you did but on the laptop itself so it would work as the server and client at the same time. Depending on how much can the laptop handle.

Last option being probably the easiest and worth trying out but performance might not be ideal, again, depending on how much the laptop can handle.

Edited by Locath

Funny that is opposite from what i am doing, i can see my server under LAN, but i cant see it under Internet list. Its weird, noticed every time i try relaunch, the numbers has been removed and i have to re enter them again.

On 8/3/2022 at 5:09 AM, Darkelf said:

Funny that is opposite from what i am doing, i can see my server under LAN, but i cant see it under Internet list. Its weird, noticed every time i try relaunch, the numbers has been removed and i have to re enter them again.

In the GUI you could try unchecking enable UPNP/auto port forwarding, sometimes that messes up ports.

Edited by Nimthyr