Sign in to follow this  
Nomadikhan

If a wagon can fit in a ship, so can a rowboat

Nope, never gonna give it up, never gonna let the populace down.  Never gonna run around and desert you.

Allow rowboats to be loaded into ships, please.

• Like 16

Whats the point though? I have a hard time understanding why loading a rowboat into a larger ship ultimately achieves. If you have the skill to make a ship large enough to fit carts and crates you have the skill to make sailboat which is better than a rowboat right? Sounds like a waste of time when Devs could focus on fixing other things other than adding something else completely useless. 

Think the only real purpose is to row from the ship to land when the ship isn't able to reach the shore itself (which is incredibly common on NFI as people seem to only make docks for shallow water boats).

Wouldn't really be able to do much outside of that though I don't think

Edit: Also doubt it'd be incredibly difficult to actually add to the game. Would think you would just add the rowboat ID to the list of items that can be loaded to the large ships. But I'm also not a coder so what do I know :)

Edited by Kellen
  • Like 2

That's primarily it, traditionally only large port towns had a vast dock system that could accept large ships.  Smaller villages would see captain anchoring offshore and then rowing in smaller vessels to shore.  The mechanic is already built in, as you can load rowboats to ship transporters.... all I'm asking is to check that field for letting use load cargo to ships too.

It's just too simple and possibly easy an idea to ignore.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Holar said:

Whats the point though? I have a hard time understanding why loading a rowboat into a larger ship ultimately achieves. If you have the skill to make a ship large enough to fit carts and crates you have the skill to make sailboat which is better than a rowboat right? Sounds like a waste of time when Devs cBringingould focus on fixing other things other than adding something else completely useless. 

Because the rowboat is smaller and therefore more reasonable for loading on a ship.   The caravel would be big enough for the small sailboat, but why build a mechanic for only one of the ship classes?

6 hours ago, Kellen said:

Think the only real purpose is to row from the ship to land when the ship isn't able to reach the shore itself (which is incredibly common on NFI as people seem to only make docks for shallow water boats).

• Navigating shallows
  • Helping newbies relocate with their boat
  • Selling a boat with only one round-trip
  • Buying a boat with only one round-trip
  • Getting rowboats all packed away out of sight, but still available at need/want.

EDIT:  added

• Recover your ship when you die at sea; row out, board your ship, load the rowboat, go home all happy.  (Of course, if you already have a rowboat loaded this could be problematic - unless you can tow one).
  • Drop off lifeboats or "pontoon" boats.

Edited by TheTrickster
  • Like 7

7 minutes ago, TheTrickster said:

Because the rowboat is smaller and therefore more reasonable for loading on a ship.   The caravel would be big enough for the small sailboat, but why build a mechanic for only one of the ship classes?

My thought - if it fits a small cart, it should fit a rowboat. both have approximately the same available space, are approximately the same size, and hold approximately the same things. Rowboat in a wagon is a toss up to be honest, but meh.

Edited by Tomatoes
  • Like 2

+1 to this.

I could see a rowboat in a ship that can take a small cart.

I could see a sailboat in a larger ship that can take a large cart or a wagon.

It just makes sense.

• Like 4

+1 on this. There's multiple reasons you would want to load a row boat. Just last week I had an alt have to abandon a row boat in a gale because I was going nowhere. I had my main show up and save the day in a corb. It would have been nice to just throw the row boat in the corb and not have to return a couple days later after the gale.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Holar said:

Whats the point though? I have a hard time understanding why loading a rowboat into a larger ship ultimately achieves. If you have the skill to make a ship large enough to fit carts and crates you have the skill to make sailboat which is better than a rowboat right? Sounds like a waste of time when Devs could focus on fixing other things other than adding something else completely useless. 

what does NOT having the option ultimately achieve?

• Like 4

This only makes sense for big boats... cog/caravel look like the type of boat with a rowboat chilling either in the back of it.. or on some deck..

Where you do plan to hide a rowing boat or SAILING one on knarr or corbita?

• Like 1

Here is a bit more on this, with towing thrown in as well.

None of this should be hard.  There are mechanisms for loading and dragging/leading/hitching.  This hardly seems to even count as development.  

• Like 3

Sometimes i think is someone there at all reading Suggestions & Ideas ?

I think if it takes 20 mins to add to the game why shouldn't it be done, take a day just to add a few small updates as this to the code would be cool..

Just like dying wagons ;)

+1

Edited by Tigerclaw
  • Like 6

Yes to loading a rowing boat onto a corbita or bigger, and to loading a sailing boat onto a cog or bigger.

This is such a practical suggestion, both for delivering boats and for allowing people to travel from ship to shore in areas with shallow bays

Edited by Sheffie
  • Like 1

Rowing boat should be turned into a cargo rowing boat that can be loaded with crates, even large crate, creature cage, oven or forge.
But rowing costs stamina and when character is at zero stamina boat stops and you have to wait for regeneration and give command to keep going again, so it would be boat for loading and unloading large ships in places with shallow water on  shore. Longer journeys would be very tedious and rowing boat should not be able to cross maps on its own.

Instead of loading rowing boat into ship's cargo hold, it could be visible on deck.

finished_02_1920.jpg

Additionally, each vessel with a deeper draft should be able to tow a vessel with a shallower draft using a rope.

In this way, shipbuilders could take a sailing boat or a larger ship with them to return from another map.

• Like 2

This would be so nice! Lots of good reasons mentioned already. It would also add more flexibility when traveling with others. You would have the option to ride together just for part of a trip and go separately later, or arrive at different times but leave together.

• Like 1

So when you cross a server and your boat goes without you does the rowboat go or stay? What if you and your boat cross but your rowboat doesnt and you don't notice for a while? 

This would get especially messy with the tow one boat behind the other idea. This isn't to say I'm not for it, I've suggested the same thing on more than a few occasions in the past, but I'm not sure how viable it is to add more complications around boats until we can actually stay on board them while turning or traveling.

On 9/25/2021 at 11:55 AM, CreZ said:

So when you cross a server and your boat goes without you does the rowboat go or stay? What if you and your boat cross but your rowboat doesnt and you don't notice for a while? 

This would get especially messy with the tow one boat behind the other idea. This isn't to say I'm not for it, I've suggested the same thing on more than a few occasions in the past, but I'm not sure how viable it is to add more complications around boats until we can actually stay on board them while turning or traveling.

The original suggestion by myself was to allow for us to load a rowboat into larger ships.  This wouldn't have the issue you mention.  The original suggestion is something already doable, probably just needs a field checked yes somewhere.

• Like 1

On 9/25/2021 at 10:06 AM, Etherdrifter said:

Be nice to have for larger ships to give them an advantage over the knaar.

Need expansion of volume for bigger boats. Knarrs sadly are the superior option every time due to their shallow draft.

Cogs/ caravels should get bigger holds than they have now with the option of using a rowboat whenever possible. 

• Like 2

On 9/14/2021 at 5:32 PM, Kellen said:

Edit: Also doubt it'd be incredibly difficult to actually add to the game. Would think you would just add the rowboat ID to the list of items that can be loaded to the large ships. But I'm also not a coder so what do I know :)

Yeah seem realistic, believe they did something like this back in those days when they found Americas. But i dont know if they will add it, they keep telling me its wurm and have nothing to do with reality lol.