Sign in to follow this  
Tomatoes

This needs a poll before being suggested.....

If there was an option to integrate your account(s) with a social media account, would you use it?  

65 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. If there was an option to integrate your Wurm account(s) with social media account, would you use it?

• Yes!
    • Yes, if i had some ability to control what was pushed/displayed to said social media account
    • Depends on its implementation, but probably not.
    • No, absolutely not.

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/10/21 at 06:56

I'm not sure how the community would actually feel about this one, even if its something I would do. Set aside the legal and coding aspects of doing so for the moment, if the feature was actually available, would you use it?

Edited by Tomatoes
changed from facebook to social media
  • Like 1

I chose No, as I no longer engage in social media.  Society is changing and with each generation the gap between social understandings and what/how we communicate widens.  I refuse to give the FBI anymore reason to come back and visit me again.

That sillyness aside, for the folks that use and abuse it, this is definitely something the masses today would like.  Who am I to vote against it :)

Edited by Nomadikhan
  • Like 1

Its my dirty little secret, I dont want everyone to know im playing wurm gosh 

Edited by SmeJack
  • Cat 2

1 hour ago, Tomatoes said:

I'm not sure how the community would actually feel about this one, even if its something I would do. Set aside the legal and coding aspects of doing so for the moment, if the feature was actually available, would you use it?

There's no reason to do that.. 

There's a line of reasons.

Why do you ask such a question, what is stage 2 after this poll?

---edit

"changed from facebook to social media"

good, who uses facebook..

Edited by Finnn

None of my friends or family care about what I do in adult minecraft

I'd vote no absolutely not - not just because of all the issues that come with social media, but also all the issues that comes with purposefully doxxing yourself on an online game.

I use alts to hide, use alts to chat, use alts to avoid decade long dramas that should have been buried - if people can start just putting all my alts to my mains face, or to /my face/ - then we have privacy issues.
Already got people who used to go out of their way to doxx, send threats IRL etc...lets not make it easier for them by enabling silly features. Even if they're opt in, its still opening the valve a little bit for the flood.

What? Why? 

"you just reached 50 body control - share it with your friends!" 

Can you elaborate in the reasons for it? connecting it arbitrarily is about as good as an idea as the "share to social media" buttons on those naughty websites

I have burned all my social media, buried it, stabbed it, drowned it and then burned it again.  Worst curse on the world today.

again, I'm pretty sure am mostly unique in my views on social media(poll proves that point here). That i choose to engage(and why i do) is part and parcel of my individuality(even if i make a 'faux paus' now and again). its not for everyone.

and i have multiple reasons why i would do so, but then i also dont expect the rest of the community to see it the same way i do. meh.

if i had my choice: my primary toon verified(my alts can stay hidden for all i care - nice place to escape :P ), share my stat gains, posting screenshots from in game....possibly even adding a 'status'(ie, im going hunting, or 'ooo look at the salvage')

but like i said im sure im pretty im unique in even desiring such things in Wurm....and if you have voted then you would know how that plays out :P

I rather get unified account management and character sharing first

If we had our main account and our forum + characters are linked to that and then ontop of that could link things like twitch or steam or a 2fa service or login via google and the likes then sure i wouldnt mind having my google and twitter account linked if it meant that i could use twitter integration to make it pm me deed upkeep warnings or village being attacked warnings and such
Add in yt integration for recording of rifts/other things at the push of a button before a simple editor then upload to yt would make me say sure to yt linking

There have to be proper reasons that make sense for it status updates and gains and such no one will really do you might see them in farmville and such games but wurm's population isnt like that most of the time

• Like 2

3 hours ago, wipeout said:

If we had our main account and our forum + characters

hell no, dont do this i get enough pms from random people saying the own the ingame character i sold and they want my forum account, forcing us to join ingame accounts with forum accounts would mean that whoever ended up with the account i sold in 2015 would now have the right to steal my 10 years old forum account. that would be horrible.

if this happens at least consider people like me a special case and give us a chance to change our forums accounts names or something so we can keep the forum account we always owned.

Edited by Tpikol

26 minutes ago, Tpikol said:

hell no, dont do this i get enough pms from random people saying the own the ingame character i sold and they want my forum account, forcing us to join ingame accounts with forum accounts would mean that whoever ended up with the account i sold in 2015 would now have the right to steal my 10 years old forum account. that would be horrible.

Totally agree, even if I never sold a toon. I don't want my forum account merged, I still want to be able to have separate passwords  for each toon.

I'd like to +1 the merge of pur toons to one mail thou, as it is now we that play from the non Steam client get punished with only 5 toons per mail.

We have Niarja already, you can compare skills, see when your deed was founded and pretty much everything else that is worth sharing. 

Narp -1

3 hours ago, Tpikol said:

if this happens at least consider people like me a special case and give us a chance to change our forums accounts names or something so we can keep the forum account we always owned.

2 hours ago, Cecci said:

Totally agree, even if I never sold a toon. I don't want my forum account merged, I still want to be able to have separate passwords  for each toon.

I'd like to +1 the merge of pur toons to one mail thou, as it is now we that play from the non Steam client get punished with only 5 toons per mail.

"Hey i have sold my account and now i fear they will steal my forum account as well as i dont stop to think how such systems are generally implemented so lets be against this"

That argument is given every dam time anyone mentions any kind of master account/unified account or any kind of system like that without realizing that when such a system is implemented it would be tied to the email address being used to populate the accounts originally and then the users can add in more

For example

Bob has 3 email addresses as 15 toons and a forum account on a different email address and this system comes in now bob signs up with the forum account into this new system and he notices his entire account is empty so he starts to link his toons to his new master account and for every toon linked a verification code is send to the email linked to that toon in order to verify they own that account

That is typically how a account transfer from standalone to managed is done if it involves multiple emails or different websites that are being linked up(ever linked steam or google or fb to a different website?)

Now the whole "i wanna have separate passwords for each still" that kinda defeats the purpose of such things the whole point is to have all characters under 1 account that you use to log into the forums or the game and then select your character from there(steam does this in a roundabout way already to a degree) and then from there you could share a toon with other people but then the devs can actually enforce their limit of people using a account properly via a mechanic in the game itself

"We get punished with only 5 toons per mail" next time you wanna make a toon if you are with a big provider gmail/hotmail and such take your email address and add .1 or .potato or whatever you wanna use to the first part of your email and it will be treated as an alias allowing you to use the same email address on your end for more then 5 accounts in wurm(this works with almost anything online) email aliases are a common thing to use for people who want 1 central email for say a company like bob.accounting@gmail.com or bob.social@gmail.com and then have their bob@gmail.com emails being routed from gmail to their mail server before being split up to correct departments.

You want more creativity in your emails for that? use a + instead of a . a great bit of info related to that is this page here https://www.popsci.com/set-up-email-alias/

Anyway back on topic imagine a master account that has 2fa enabled with google authenticate and backup email verification incase of phone loss with a actual proper launcher that isnt just a updater that phrases through commands to the client it launches but offers things like access to the forums from within or the ability to reset passwords or manage billing for all linked accounts being able to link paypal to said account to handle automatic payments of premium monthly based on the accounts you tick or untick allowing for easy control over multiple accounts their premium or topping up silver(sure every transaction would require 2fa confirmation for security reasons)
Point is a properly setup master account that offers more functionality beyond a simple combine and character select but becomes wurm's first look for new players and the place where people can engage(forums(auto logged in) and link to discord and yt and twitch and twitter and fb and so on and see live streams and what not if wanted in a tab inside of it) and handle their credentials and payments and log into their characters and quickly read up on warnings of upkeep or premium time running out/payments coming up.
Such a system yes i would link my fb and yt and twitter too heck id even link imgur to it for auto upload of screenshots to imgur links to share with people ingame or elsewhere

Again just to share this as some people want to nitpick at such systems just because it exists does not mean you NEED to link those accounts up having the functionality there for streamers or big name wurmians would be good  for any number of reasons from status settings(similar to our afk messages) to hiding pms from popping up or names to be shown if people opt out of it to all kinds of functionality like ingame events run by wurm official twitch for prices

The beauty of it being linked would offer a huge range of new idea's they can implement that would help bring wurm a bit more into the modern age by 1 providing better security for accounts(currently its 1 /changeemail away from loosing a account(old pvp kingdom accounts get a lot of drama over this)) from theft or password changes and then forgetting them(got a friend who lost access to a old account because he changed the password and had a typo in it and doesnt remember the email he used on it and gms refuse to help him anymore with it) to things like more social features more engagement with other platforms to ease of access

I for one just cant understand why this hasn't been the BIG thing to focus on before steam's release or even way before that having a single place where to manage your characters from would make things like moderation for cm's easier would make it easier for people to do payments or password changes it just makes sense for it to be a thing which is kinda why a lot of games out there that let you play on more then 1 character typically have a character select and either allow or disallow for multiple characters at once to be online from 1 account or they still stick to the clunky old 1 character per email because they dont want alts

Look at blizzard for example with their battle.net launcher or other companies with similar ones such a similar thing is what im talking about here except more tailored towards wurm and its 1 game you know sooner or later gcg will push for this especially if they get it into their minds to make a launcher to throw all their products into 1 place for people to access in hopes of promoting every service they have so why not start now with wurm where it would make sense to have this.

12 minutes ago, wipeout said:

Hey i have sold my account and now i fear they will steal my forum account as well as i dont stop to think how such systems are generally implemented so lets be against this"

i dont just think about how things are generally implemented i also think about things are usually implemented in wurm, not blizzard, wurm, which is why i worry about this.

2 minutes ago, Tpikol said:

i dont just think about how things are generally implemented i also think about things are usually implemented in wurm, not blizzard, wurm, which is why i worry about this.

Oh i know that angle all to well but you gotta give them some credit they arent going to sit there and go "okay lets take the player account and link everything to that persons email address and any past email addresses and payment email addresses and who ever owns that one now owns all forum accounts and other accounts on it"  like ya there is a lot that is left to be desired a lot that can be said but would result in this post being deleted about how they function but they have  slowly but surely been doing better here and there there is a long way to go for sure but thats why such a system if done right could be their start in doing things right and properly and no more weird "insert specific cases that will result in deletion of said post here" events that have brought us the wurm we have today but instead create things that will lead to a better wurm overall one more up to the times with how it handles what is currently a really shitty security system for accounts( "insert rant about how easy it is to get people's passwords") and integrates other mechanics into it to show that wurm is on the right track on sticking around

As much crap as i have seen over the years with ninja drunken friday afternoon patches and mechanics that just dont make sense or rulings that leave my head scratching i still hold out some hope for the devs i still hope they will learn and be better and grow to make wurm be better then what it is today as much as i sit there and bash at the way they handle stuff as often as i do i still hope

• Like 1

The question being IF this was implemented, WOULD i use it?

No, i would not.

Do i care if this is added? Not in the slightest.

Obviously the syntax of the questions and answers implies that it would be completely optional and as such, i see no harm in adding this as an option.

I couldn't avail of this simply because i don't have and never had any instaface or twittmyspace accounts but if someone finds this useful... more power to them.

"social media" is a quite broad term and one could consider Steam account as one since we can interact with each other on the platform but i think it boils down to how i'm using that account. Platforms created solely to be social interaction engines are just not something i would do but again, some people like that form of communication and i see no harm in allowing them make that decision.

4 hours ago, Tpikol said:

i bolded a word there cause i never said that. after a single days worth of results(bout half that voted on keenans post last i checked) tells me pretty much the current views. like i said i needed a poll first, because this would effect more then just the game, it would effect the entire community as a whole, and you don't do that without permission. Game suggestions are one thing, suggestions that would actually screw with our communities survival is another.