Sign in to follow this  
Darnok

Destructible armors & Economical loop & Priests

3 hours ago, Locath said:

So, you clearly don't play a priest.

You want to REDUCE existing favor gains which can be obtained from regen, sacrificing things and linked from other priests and instead you want to make the priest wander around the world, looking for a bush with sprouts?

Last hit on a dragon gives favor? As in, last person who lands a hit, who, by default, isn't a priest, with very few exceptions, gets favor which they can't use? And even if it's one of the two dragon fighting priests out there, they get favor AFTER the fight is over?

1. Read carefully, the follower would have to go beyond the deed, not the priest.

2. You missed part of the idea 🙂

3 hours ago, Kellen said:

So Puppeteering should generate a similar income to the likes of Weaponsmithing and Armorsmithing?

I am writing about a set of skills, not about 1 skill, because such a balance for individual skills is impossible to achieve.

Without straw man arguments, please.

1 minute ago, Darnok said:

1. Read carefully, the follower would have to go beyond the deed, not the priest.

Again, have you played the game? Why would a follower need favor? What exactly would be the purpose?

23 hours ago, Darnok said:
On 9/14/2021 at 10:04 AM, brattygirl said:

But you don't understand the amount of time it takes to grind weapon smithing verses leather working, chain smithing etc.

I understand, but I don't CARE, because I am capitalists and capitalists are not interested in what it cost to produce this good, they are interested in the usefulness of that good.

Communists, on the other hand...

You expose yourself as not being incredibly ignorant about Wurm, but also about everything, economic sciences in particular. Your primitive "Communists, on the other hand..." points to a right wing extremist.

"Communists" like, let us say Marx, and "capitalists", let us say Ricardo, but also Schumpeter, or any other, clearly agree on what you deny, namely that the effort to produce any goods or services, does indeed matter in any economy. So does every "capitalist", and also every manager in, say, a Chinese or Vietnamese SOE. It is called cost calculation.

23 minutes ago, Darnok said:

I am writing about a set of skills, not about 1 skill, because such a balance for individual skills is impossible to achieve.

Without straw man arguments, please.

Gotta use strawman arguments when explaining to the Scarecrow from Wizard of Oz.

You're basically wanting to have less useful skills be able to generate a decent income is what I'm getting from this thread (and you haven't said anything to prove otherwise).

If I'm a plumber making $25/hour I'd be pissed that a grocery store clerk is also making $25/hour doing a job that takes less training, less commitment, less work, and less skill.

Edit: Actually, I guess I wouldn't be pissed. I would just go become a grocery store clerk and the world's pipes will just become clogged as all plumbers quit

Edited by Kellen
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Locath said:

Again, have you played the game? Why would a follower need favor? What exactly would be the purpose?

Read the OP again... follower (favor) -> priest (enchanted items) -> follower

2 hours ago, Ekcin said:

You expose yourself as not being incredibly ignorant about Wurm, but also about everything, economic sciences in particular. Your primitive "Communists, on the other hand..." points to a right wing extremist.

"Communists" like, let us say Marx, and "capitalists", let us say Ricardo, but also Schumpeter, or any other, clearly agree on what you deny, namely that the effort to produce any goods or services, does indeed matter in any economy. So does every "capitalist", and also every manager in, say, a Chinese or Vietnamese SOE. It is called cost calculation.

1. Economy is not science. If it were, there would be no communists and no capitalists, but there would be only scientists who would say that 2 + 2 = 4 and no one could question it.

2. If in any school they teach that capitalists are extremists, I wouldn't want to study there even for free.

2 hours ago, Kellen said:

Gotta use strawman arguments when explaining to the Scarecrow from Wizard of Oz.

You're basically wanting to have less useful skills be able to generate a decent income is what I'm getting from this thread (and you haven't said anything to prove otherwise).

If I'm a plumber making $25/hour I'd be pissed that a grocery store clerk is also making $25/hour doing a job that takes less training, less commitment, less work, and less skill.

Edit: Actually, I guess I wouldn't be pissed. I would just go become a grocery store clerk and the world's pipes will just become clogged as all plumbers quit

This is a game, so it should be designed in such a way that as many skills (sets of skills) as possible are equally useful for players, thanks to which the game would have a chance to attract as many fans of different game styles as possible and everyone would have equal fun and profits.

6 minutes ago, Darnok said:

This is a game, so it should be designed in such a way that as many skills (sets of skills) as possible are equally useful for players, thanks to which the game would have a chance to attract as many fans of different game styles as possible and everyone would have equal fun and profits.

First off, FUN IS NOT ALLOWED IN Wurm Online!
Second, I don't want profits. I don't want money, and I refuse to accept payment for anything. I don't want economy. I don't want everyone's actions in a game to be based on the pursuit of wealth. It is already bad enough people in real life are mindless money-chasing drones.

Please stop trying to make me play my games in the same ways that I have learned to despise human civilization for failing to live up to our own potential.

• Like 3

One may dispute whether economy is science, scholarship, philosophy, whatever (note that science is not 2+2=4, that is elemental arithmetics), but time and effort calculation is in the core of any variety of it. And of course capitalists are not (necessarily) extremists, nor are communists, as far as such a dichotomy exists at all. That you do not want to study altogether is what you are displaying in every of your rants anyway.

2 minutes ago, Darnok said:

Read the OP again... follower (favor) -> priest (enchanted items) -> follower

You understand that during your first 50 levels of faith you will burn through thousands of favor, right?

You probably don't know that we can already make well over 100 power casts as indicated by your suggestion, seeing how you are clueless about WO in general and i'm not saying this as an insult attempt, i'm stating a fact.

You are basically saying "get the unskilled character accumulate mana for when they can use it and then it gets used up on the 1st cast, while destroying their armour during harvesting a sprouting bush because a bear came around"

1 hour ago, Darnok said:

The player should have a choice, and the game should give him a fairly level playing field, no matter what skill set he chose for himself.

The game does give the player a choice. There are so many skills in the game and you can pick and choose any of them to grind or not grind. You can choose to go the priest route, or a smith route, cook, hunter, etc etc. This game allows you to live a fantasy life however you want to live it. Again you would know this if you actually played the game.

Spoiler

On a side note "WTB Hammer & Sickle".......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Darnok said:

You sure you're a capitalist?

Also, if you truly feel this way you're basically requesting a rework of the entire skills system. At least the ones that generate resources and products. With that being the case, don't suggest it until the entire idea is planned out. As in, don't suggest to butcher just one skill as a test without all of the other changes that would need to be put in place to support it.

Suggest the changes that need to be made to ALL of the skills in order for your idea to work before submitting anything.

Edited by Kellen

On 9/14/2021 at 12:05 AM, Borstaskor said:

I'm waiting for the day Darnok makes an actually good suggestion. As far as I'm concerned, his suggestions are either really trash, giving off the aura that he's not even playing the game or is simply idea that'd take way too much dev time for it to be worth what little it would offer the game.

And after another attempt, this is still not the day of an actually good suggestion. I don't think one will ever come.

At what point do we just ban him from making suggestions, if not after like 30 clown suggestions? Is anyone legit still thinking that there's a small chance that he'll actually come up with a good suggestions so we shouldn't ban him from making suggestions for that tiny chance (a chance I personally believe doesn't exist)?

I'm all for freedom of speech and all that, but there's only so much benefit of the doubt I can give out before starting to suspect that someone is trolling on purpose and he's crossed my personal line for that a long time ago. Feel free to think that he's not trolling on purpose but a huge good luck to you if you want to try to convince me of that.

+1

1 hour ago, CreZ said:

First off, FUN IS NOT ALLOWED IN Wurm Online!
Second, I don't want profits. I don't want money, and I refuse to accept payment for anything. I don't want economy. I don't want everyone's actions in a game to be based on the pursuit of wealth. It is already bad enough people in real life are mindless money-chasing drones.

Please stop trying to make me play my games in the same ways that I have learned to despise human civilization for failing to live up to our own potential.

Focus on single player games then, because wherever more than one player plays, the economy appears.

1 hour ago, Ekcin said:

One may dispute whether economy is science, scholarship, philosophy, whatever (note that science is not 2+2=4, that is elemental arithmetics), but time and effort calculation is in the core of any variety of it. And of course capitalists are not (necessarily) extremists, nor are communists, as far as such a dichotomy exists at all. That you do not want to study altogether is what you are displaying in every of your rants anyway.

It does not matter.

Look at Wurm, catching a fish with fishing rod is difficult, but no one says that fish price should be higher and based on catching cost, why?

Should meat prices in game be based on the cost required to obtain it? So how much is troll meat and how much is pig meat?

Are they equally worthless? Why?

1 hour ago, Locath said:

You understand that during your first 50 levels of faith you will burn through thousands of favor, right?

You probably don't know that we can already make well over 100 power casts as indicated by your suggestion, seeing how you are clueless about WO in general and i'm not saying this as an insult attempt, i'm stating a fact.

You are basically saying "get the unskilled character accumulate mana for when they can use it and then it gets used up on the 1st cast, while destroying their armour during harvesting a sprouting bush because a bear came around"

1. Great, so as a follower who likes to go beyond deed, I have a chance to earn a lot.

2. I haven't seen too many spells over 100 and probably none over 120, so I suspect it's quite a rare occurrence. And my idea should move this upper limit higher.

3. ???

54 minutes ago, brattygirl said:

The game does give the player a choice. There are so many skills in the game and you can pick and choose any of them to grind or not grind. You can choose to go the priest route, or a smith route, cook, hunter, etc etc. This game allows you to live a fantasy life however you want to live it. Again you would know this if you actually played the game.

Reveal hidden contents

On a side note "WTB Hammer & Sickle".......

Not really, it doesn't give you that much of a choice if money only flows in one direction.
As some people in here have noticed, changing armor to "destructible" would fill up armor smiths wallets rapidly, this is because armor is useful and skill set that players use to create armor is quite self-sufficient.

That is enough for them to stop circulation of money, because those who make armor don't need anything from those who buy it.

You have a choice, but not every choice you make gives you the same opportunities, meaning there is no balance in rules of game.

Players will notice it sooner or later and those who have spent weeks developing these less attractive skills will quit, because game does not provide to their play style sufficient opportunities to develop.

Unless Wurm is based on the assumption that EVERY player will be interested in developing EVERY skill in game... which is an unrealistic assumption.

54 minutes ago, Kellen said:

You sure you're a capitalist?

Also, if you truly feel this way you're basically requesting a rework of the entire skills system. At least the ones that generate resources and products. With that being the case, don't suggest it until the entire idea is planned out. As in, don't suggest to butcher just one skill as a test without all of the other changes that would need to be put in place to support it.

Suggest the changes that need to be made to ALL of the skills in order for your idea to work before submitting anything.

I am a capitalist, that's why I expect that if I buy a product that is to offer me many possibilities, then by using the option that suits me, I will be able to achieve similar results as players playing with a different style.

Do players who want to play with different play styles have equal opportunities?

Can a hunter, playing 10 hours, earn as much as an armor or weapon smith during 10 hours?

There is no such possibility, and the hunter risks more, because he can die, and smith stands next to forge on a deed and does not risk anything.

The equipment + horse that hunter has to buy in game is not cheaper than tools used by smith.

In addition, hunter is not 100% sure of success, because maybe someone else was hunting before him and region is empty.

Smith will always achieve his goal, question of whether it will take him 5 minutes longer or not depends on randomness, but you can be 100% sure you will hit ql level you wanted.

Also smith can receive an extremely valuable random reward in form of rare item. What does a hunter gain?

Why less risk is more profitable?

After all, at the end of the month, they both have to spend same amount of money on premium purchase.

That is why I think that without loops that allow money to circulate, many players will not be satisfied with Wurm, because it is unlikely that a novice player will make a choice that requires a lot of knowledge about the game and not everyone wants to change their "profession" after a few weeks of playing. And not everyone has to like the same play style.

12 minutes ago, Darnok said:

Also smith can receive an extremely valuable random reward in form of rare item. What does a hunter gain?

hunters can find uniques which if you math it out, a dragon is worth about a dozen gold split between everyone in local on average on nfi, and a drake is like 7 gold, so if you have a group of hunter friends and you all share uniques you find with each other, you'll be making much more than the smiths

again, youre failing to recognize skilled labour pays more, if anyone can pick up an axe or a fishing rod and do it, its gonna pay less. stop strawmanning fishing coz its not even a good argument lol

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Darnok said:

Do players who want to play with different play styles have equal opportunities?

Can a hunter, playing 10 hours, earn as much as an armor or weapon smith during 10 hours?

There is no such possibility, and the hunter risks more, because he can die, and smith stands next to forge on a deed and does not risk anything.

The equipment + horse that hunter has to buy in game is not cheaper than tools used by smith.

In addition, hunter is not 100% sure of success, because maybe someone else was hunting before him and region is empty.

Smith will always achieve his goal, question of whether it will take him 5 minutes longer or not depends on randomness, but you can be 100% sure you will hit ql level you wanted.

After all, at the end of the month, they both have to spend same amount of money on premium purchase.

I mean, you have already stated that there is no risk in hunting unless you're fighting a unique on pve soooo yes, weapons/armor should be more expensive than meat/hide as those skills take a massive amount of time (up to a year in some cases) vs fighting which can be leveled to 70 in a week.

13 minutes ago, Darnok said:

That is why I think that without loops that allow money to circulate, many players will not be satisfied with Wurm, because it is unlikely that a novice player will make a choice that requires a lot of knowledge about the game and not everyone wants to change their "profession" after a few weeks of playing. And not everyone has to like the same play style.

How is destroying a new players armor, if they made it themselves, going to get them to continue playing the game if they don't want to level armorsmithing? Generally players start with the easier to level skills (carpentry, farming, cooking, etc) as they're pretty much required to stay safe. So if they don't want to level armorsmithing to make their own armor they will probably use those skills to earn money and buy a set. So please make some suggestions on how new players can earn more money via these easy skills since they'll be spending way more on armor with your system than they would with the current system.

3 minutes ago, Darnok said:

According to this "logic", hunter is already at higher risk and less profitable and now you want him to have to rebuy an armor set every few hours from the same smith who is safe and all?

I mean... am i missing something here?

5 minutes ago, Darnok said:

Because such is life. In the long run, most of us chose a safe job over gambling for a living. 

Why shouldn't it be?

Priesthood is even less risky and can be extremely profitable, but in order for player to avail of that, they need to invest countless hours of their real life and get those skills up.

FS to 70 can be done in a day and that lets you fight nearly everything Wurm can throw at you if you have a decent kit.

But seriously;

Hunters make decent coin while killing and burying mobs too and what you chose to do is up to you. I have allies who love their animals and all they want to do is take care of them and look at them. Literally sit on a bench and look at their herd. Are they playing the game wrong? Should their animals die off faster because they enjoy it and they should be punished for that? Perhaps they aren't adding a whole lot to the economy so their bench should decay on deed so they have to buy a new one from a mason?

Ultimately, the persistence of Wurm and things you achieve here is what keeps many of us here. I think i still have Krysi's large cart which i have been repairing for about 8 or 9 years now since she left, in hope that she'll come back one day.

This kind of persistence and attachment to "things which can be replaced without any effort" is what is unique about Wurm.

He is a capitalist in his dreams, without knowing what that is or means. He is, if not a kid or half gone pensionist, at best some clerk or errand boy dreaming of being something significant.

• Like 1

There is no point talking about economics who refuses to accept that both supply and demand drive the price.

37 minutes ago, Lethyria said:

There is no point talking about economics who refuses to accept that both supply and demand drive the price.

Agreed, and that production effort is setting margins. All so trivial that one wonders that someone denies it while pretending to be "a capitalist".

3 hours ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

hunters can find uniques which if you math it out, a dragon is worth about a dozen gold split between everyone in local on average on nfi, and a drake is like 7 gold, so if you have a group of hunter friends and you all share uniques you find with each other, you'll be making much more than the smiths

again, youre failing to recognize skilled labour pays more, if anyone can pick up an axe or a fishing rod and do it, its gonna pay less. stop strawmanning fishing coz its not even a good argument lol

I wouldn't answer that because my experience of catching dragons = zero, but it seems wrong to me that you compare 1 character to a whole group that has to work together to achieve anything, because a dragon cannot be killed 1vs1.

3 hours ago, Kellen said:

I mean, you have already stated that there is no risk in hunting unless you're fighting a unique on pve soooo yes, weapons/armor should be more expensive than meat/hide as those skills take a massive amount of time (up to a year in some cases) vs fighting which can be leveled to 70 in a week.

Yes, FS skill itself levels up quite quickly, at least from my point of view, but you forget that to get a good quality loot you need one more skill, because killing an animal is not enough.

Generally players start with the easier to level skills (carpentry, farming, cooking, etc) as they're pretty much required to stay safe. So if they don't want to level armorsmithing to make their own armor they will probably use those skills to earn money and buy a set. So please make some suggestions on how new players can earn more money via these easy skills since they'll be spending way more on armor with your system than they would with the current system.

Some time ago I gave an idea of how carpenters could make a lot of money... if quality of FSB, BSB and crates is lower than quality of the item placed inside then this item should decay.

How is destroying a new players armor, if they made it themselves, going to get them to continue playing the game if they don't want to level armorsmithing?

2 hours ago, Locath said:

According to this "logic", hunter is already at higher risk and less profitable and now you want him to have to rebuy an armor set every few hours from the same smith who is safe and all?

I mean... am i missing something here?

Destructible armor is part of the idea, the other part is destructible equipment for smiths and consumable goods for miners (food + healing potions, by the way, there would be some use for the skill to create potions or healing covers and applying them, because at the moment in PvE LT spells killed the need to level this skill a grind for the sake of the grind in my opinion does not make sense),

I think that with the right values setting, these items should be more or less equal in matter of demand for both hunter and miner+smith sides.

Because such is life. In the long run, most of us chose a safe job over gambling for a living. 

Why shouldn't it be?

Virtual reality not life!

Priesthood is even less risky and can be extremely profitable, but in order for player to avail of that, they need to invest countless hours of their real life and get those skills up.

Not really, priests destroy items when they hit failure, smith only slightly damages items.

Agreed that priests can earn a lot, but hence my next idea that would create a loop between the follower and the priest.

2 hours ago, Lethyria said:

The supply is simple.

But how do you want to determine the demand? Based on what? I try on the basis of usability, but you pretend it doesn't exist, so how else you want to do it?

It would be nice to determine the demand for skills in Wurm and check what skills are most often chosen by novice and average players, but not those who are already converted by veterans, but those who have not yet had contact with the community, and start the game themselves.

I'm pretty sure they wouldn't point to Masonry and brick making 😉

Edited by Darnok

10 minutes ago, Darnok said:

The supply is simple.

You literally said the time to get a skill is irrelevant. I also have agreed that without destruction wurm will have a deflating economy only propped up my new players fueling demand, I just don't think wurm is well set up for a high trading volume economy due to the lack of an in game market and the time require to make 1 end game tool. You clearly have never made a 90ql item or done a 100+ enchanted weapon so why do you profess to understand them.

11 minutes ago, Darnok said:

I wouldn't answer that because my experience of catching dragons = zero

you have no problem answering/declaring other things that you don't have experience in, why would that be a difference

heaven forbid you work with other players in a mmo lol, you could just sell it, or host it publicly and make a big show about how generous you're being and then people find out you got paid 3 gold for it too, that works. bleu also solo'd a dragon with about 30 alts, and i've almost killed a hatchling with 2 people (we backed out when it was at dying so people on the way could show for bloods), so they're not as tough as you think

4 hours ago, Darnok said:

Yes, FS skill itself levels up quite quickly, at least from my point of view, but you forget that to get a good quality loot you need one more skill, because killing an animal is not enough.

Okay? Still takes way longer to level Weapon/Armorsmithing than Butchering. What's your point?

Some time ago I gave an idea of how carpenters could make a lot of money... if quality of FSB, BSB and crates is lower than quality of the item placed inside then this item should decay.

I'm a Carpenter and that honestly sounds like torture.

Destructible armor is part of the idea, the other part is destructible equipment for smiths and consumable goods for miners (food + healing potions, by the way, there would be some use for the skill to create potions or healing covers and applying them, because at the moment in PvE LT spells killed the need to level this skill a grind for the sake of the grind in my opinion does not make sense),

I think that with the right values setting, these items should be more or less equal in matter of demand for both hunter and miner+smith sides.

People buy food and potions all the time, wtf are you even talking about? You're requesting that the repair option be removed from all armor and tools unless they are in the process of being improved. You're also requesting that crafters take random damage while performing actions. Why? Just to waste everybody's time?

The supply is simple.

But how do you want to determine the demand? Based on what? I try on the basis of usability, but you pretend it doesn't exist, so how else you want to do it?

It would be nice to determine the demand for skills in Wurm and check what skills are most often chosen by novice and average players, but not those who are already converted by veterans, but those who have not yet had contact with the community, and start the game themselves.

I'm pretty sure they wouldn't point to Masonry and brick making 😉

The demand is based on how many people are looking to buy the product in trade chat/forums and how much they're willing to pay for it. Seriously, have you ever even logged into WO or seen a thread outside of the Suggestion section?

The skills new players gravitate towards are based off of their own personal interests. Just doing the basics of survival will introduce you to Woodcutting, Carpentry, Farming, Cooking, Mining, Blacksmithing and typically if someone enjoys one of those skills, they'll continue to do them. If those skills don't hold their attention they'll look at the massive list of crap to do and pick something out that interests them. And yes, some of them will gravitate towards Masonry.

IN FACT, Masonry is a great skill to earn money with on NFI (the cluster you apparently play on) because the prices are still outrageous (4s/k Mortar, 4s/k Slate/Marble Bricks, 3-4s/k Sandstone Bricks, 2s/k Stone Bricks) which is actually how I am paying for premium on mine and my wife's account plus buying a bunch of random crap I want.

You want to know how I learned it was a useful skill? I big brained it and looked at trade chat. Simple as that.

Edited by Kellen

5 hours ago, Darnok said:

I am a capitalist, that's why I expect that if I buy a product that is to offer me many possibilities, then by using the option that suits me, I will be able to achieve similar results as players playing with a different style.

Just gotta bring this up. You really have no idea how capitalism works, do you?

With your logic, if you're the owner of a local chicken restaurant you should be making as much money as McDonald's just because they're both restaurants.

You almost seem like a Socialist rather than a Capitalist

Edited by Kellen

7 hours ago, Darnok said:

you know, FS the only skill that levels this fast - the only one with near instant rewards - the rest of skills in wurm do not have instant rewards. some skills take time and patience to master - the time/reward benefit is heavily in favor of the sense of 'accomplishment' for most, if not all, skills in wurm.

8 hours ago, Lethyria said:

You literally said the time to get a skill is irrelevant. I also have agreed that without destruction wurm will have a deflating economy only propped up my new players fueling demand, I just don't think wurm is well set up for a high trading volume economy due to the lack of an in game market and the time require to make 1 end game tool. You clearly have never made a 90ql item or done a 100+ enchanted weapon so why do you profess to understand them.

Read again please it is not about "easy" to make item 🙂

7 hours ago, Kellen said:

I'm a Carpenter and that honestly sounds like torture.

If performing actions from skill set that you have chosen is torture... there is something wrong with game at least with part where you improve items? 🙂

People buy food and potions all the time, wtf are you even talking about? You're requesting that the repair option be removed from all armor and tools unless they are in the process of being improved. You're also requesting that crafters take random damage while performing actions. Why? Just to waste everybody's time?

In how many threads have some of you tried to convince me that Wurm is "game of waiting", so?

Just like fighting, you take random damage and without healing skill and consumable potions or LT weapon you have to waste time resting, so what's the problem?

It seems to me that all types of crafting should have some risk and danger.

The demand is based on how many people are looking to buy the product in trade chat/forums and how much they're willing to pay for it. Seriously, have you ever even logged into WO or seen a thread outside of the Suggestion section?

Yes, but why are some items more in demand than others? I wonder about this problem if you haven't noticed yet.

6 hours ago, Kellen said:

Just gotta bring this up. You really have no idea how capitalism works, do you?

With your logic, if you're the owner of a local chicken restaurant you should be making as much money as McDonald's just because they're both restaurants.

You almost seem like a Socialist rather than a Capitalist

Not really, it's more like offering two burgers for the same price, but one would be smaller. Because we compare different skill sets from the same game, not in two different games.

1 hour ago, Tomatoes said:

you know, FS the only skill that levels this fast - the only one with near instant rewards - the rest of skills in wurm do not have instant rewards. some skills take time and patience to master - the time/reward benefit is heavily in favor of the sense of 'accomplishment' for most, if not all, skills in wurm.

I know, I also make some items and I can see how it works, I have 80 level skill and repeating the same action, pressing H (imp) and G (repair) is killing me.