Sign in to follow this  
Nomadikhan

Renaturalization of L18 - (Final Stages)

Ttyhkgm.png

I'm back to fix a mistake I made a long time ago.  What used to be Blackflame island I turned into an unsightly monstrosity and I cannot stand it any longer.  I am going to fix this whole area.

This will be done in stages to minimalize impact on the highway system.  The big dirt pile of an island will be removed and dredged back to it's original depth.  The old wooden bridge will eventually be bashed down and dirt pylons removed.  Blackflame island, while won't be original, will be remade.  Finally the current marble bridge will be extended and most likely will pass through the island and then reconnect to the mainland,

I don't have a timeline on this project as I juggle life, family, and work, but I do promise it'll get done.  As of this post I've already reclaimed 9000 of the estimated 150,000 dirt I dropped years ago expanding the area.

Thanks for your understanding.

Edited by Nomadikhan
  • Like 7

Sounds like a pretty big project, I will try and find time to come and help!

• Like 2

I *wish* the bug where bridges cannot be trebbed/catapulted will be fixed at some point... That would save a TON of repetitive work.

• Like 1

Good to see you've started working on this project nomad! And at some point i will come and remove the dirt bridge i've made from my old island to blackflame island a loooong time ago :D 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SweetSusie said:

Good to see you've started working on this project nomad! And at some point i will come and remove the dirt bridge i've made from my old island to blackflame island a loooong time ago :D 

Oh yes I had forgotten about that! 

• Like 1

Just a little update.  Roman's old wooden bridge has now been completely removed as well as about 12000 dirt from the SE portion.  More to come!

maQ0QFu.jpg

bCNf1B8.jpg

• Like 3

Outstanding Nomad! That island really needed love. Thank you for taking care of this!

• Like 1

On 9/24/2021 at 9:49 AM, Nomadikhan said:

Just a little update.  Roman's old wooden bridge has now been completely removed as well as about 12000 dirt from the SE portion.  More to come!

maQ0QFu.jpg

bCNf1B8.jpg

Goodbye old wooden rollercoaster

• Like 1

A big thank you still needs to go out to you Roman for taking the initiative all those years ago with the first bridge.

Also, about 45000 dirt has been removed.  Highway access is no longer available atm.  I am now in the process of leveling down to water table.  Soon I will recreate from old maps the shape of the island.

I have been asked if I will be selling the dirt and want to say I will be storing all dirt for future renaturalization projects.  I will not be selling it.

Sweetsusie has been working along side me the last couple weeks over at L17.  She is reshaping her old Sweetlake island into a very nice and natural island.  It’s looking amazing so far!

Looking to the future I have it in my mind that after L18 I will begin work north and east of Tap Dance at Waarakus place.  I am thinking of resurfacing it back to natural smooth and rolling lands with a small memorial to Waar.  Scrolling through old maps his area was predominately forest with his most northern edge being where the moss lands used to start.

Stay tooned folks!  (see what I did there?)

Edited by Nomadikhan

20 hours ago, RomaN said:

That's the funny thing. I am absolutely glad that the wooden bridge is gone, but there was something to be said about Cele having a Rollercoaster Bridge. I think we were the only server with TWO bridges across its most important crossing, because... you know... redundancy!

But it was time for the Rollercoaster Bridge to go. So, fun memories, but here is to the future!

Edited by Valdor

It was built just before highways were implemented. It was built by myself, my villagers, some friends and handful of random new players who had just started the game, lived nearby and were looking for something to do.

Had we known highways were coming, we probably wouldve built it 2 tiles wide and it might still be here today.

The bridge had a massive height in the middle just because it didnt cost us any extra resources and we thought it'd be a cool lookout position.

It was fun building that bridge. I'm glad it served its purpose in the beginning and im very surprised it lasted so long considering ive stopped playing wurm years ago and the bridge was also decommissioned years ago.

• Like 4

Yea, aren't those wooden bridges off deed supposed to decay quickly? That bridge lasted forever!

No bridges decay quickly.  A few sections were bashed long ago to stop traffic on it so that it would decay.  On average most the tiles had 5-7 damage. Huge axe on that bridge did average 1.7dmg a swing.  

On 10/11/2021 at 4:23 AM, RomaN said:

Pity, should be preserved as a historic site

Edited by Mormo

Just an update to prove I haven't forgotten about this!

I am on a small break from the project to take advantage of the skill gain bonus, but please rest assured that as soon as the event is over I am back on the job.

The two longest bridge sections (28 in length) have been constructed.  The island's rough shape is being worked out, with it's bridge contact point having been formed.  The south and eastern portions need shaped still.  The original Blackflame Island Spirit Cottage has been salvaged and will remain on the island as testament to our wonderful history.  Highway routing is still down, but will be up as soon as the last two bridges are completed (this is a priority).

For those that like numbers:

• 11.2s spent on bricks and mortar
  • 2400 mortar made in addition
  • 4000~ bricks made in addition
  • 75000 dirt removed and stored (+1800 to Sweetsusie for fixing old Sweetlake island just east of L18, she could have more if she would just say so!)
  • 45~ large crates made (I keep running out)

Thanks for everyone's understanding and support.  Will see ya'll in local again soon!

Edited by Nomadikhan
  • Like 2

Well done nomad! You’ve been working hard on this project and the bridges look really good.
Can’t wait to see the end result of the new noncroissant island :D 

I don’t think i need anymore dirt but if i do i will let you know thank you!

i do have some crates for you if you want so let me know.

i will continue working on the island and dredging after the water is back to it’s original color cause i can’t see anything now and am also doing  skills and halloween stuff.

• Like 1

Just a bit of an update.

- New Blackflame Island has been shaped and will soon rise from the sea

- The last bridge for this area has been planned and will be completed this weekend

- Highway access is estimated to be restored sometime Sunday Nov 14

Please not that land access has now been cut off until the bridge is finished.  I am making this a priority if above didn't clarift my intent.

Thank you for your patience and understanding :)

Edited by Nomadikhan
  • Like 2

The highway at L18 covering the west exit of Tap Dance to the SW continent is now back online.  Thank you everyone for your patience!

Dredging and island building will now resume.

• Like 2

Work still progresses!  around 20k dirt dredged in continued effort to let all ships sail the area.  Much has been dropped to reshape and build of Dragonflame Island.   I will not rest until done :)

q5a4zia.jpg

• Like 6

Nomad, you are a scholar and a gentleman. A facelift of that part of Cele will be awesome. It's right in the middle and everyone passes by it on their server journeys. Can't wait to see it!

• Like 2

For anyone passing by local or just curious or even following this anymore, after 5 months I'm in the final stages.

-The island's shape is finalized, it's rising fast

-I have decided to deed over it to protect the island and because now I'm pretty fond of it.  It's been deeded as Blackflame Island and will have a 7x7 small Keep as it's only building

-The island will, as promised, remain otherwise natural and untouched

-1st pass of dredging complete and I've started the 2nd and final pass

-All ships are able to sail these waters now

After the 2nd and last pass of dredging around the island, I'll start replanting the island and call it done.

• Like 3