Sign in to follow this  
Darnok

List of new monsters and animals

Polar bears and foxes

Birds that can be caught in a net and used by falconers

Dryads and wraiths that can only spawn from player created points.

Werewolves, regenerate quickly and resistant to iron and steel weapons

Snow Yeti, hell hydra

Scarabaeus sacer, Woolly rhinoceros, Beaver, Giant stick insect, Sundew, Bats, new types of Goblins, Succubus

Sandwurms spawning in sandstorms. Turtles group.

Gazelle, Leopard, Mammoth, Irish elk, Vulture, troll huntress, saber-tooth tiger, Turkey

Arctic hare spawning in the tundra

Goblin shaman, goblin leader, wolfdog, beaver

Dog more features/expansion

Flying mounts pegasus, griffins and chimeras

Camels

Poisonous snakes, hell bear, hell crocodile and hell troll

Beavers, Giant ants, Hell piranha, Stone golem, Improved Lava Spider, scorpion and trolls

Bandits for any level fighter

Walruses

Pack of gray wolves

Oak  spirits

Ghost in mines

Edited by Darnok
  • Like 1

Sorry to say, though I acknowledge a lot of work having gone into these proposals, I consider them all worthless and waste of time. Not few of them seem to be picked from other MMOs (and single user games), with mechanics and characteristics poorly or not at all fitting into Wurm.

Also it is quite megalomaniac to suggest detailed behavior and mechanics to devs thinking they can just take and implement them. Design, creation, and implementation of mobs works the other way round: there may be a general idea at start, resulting in model and animation outlines as work for the graphics designers, and actions to be embedded into the combat mechanics, alongside with strengths and vulnerabilities. They must fit into the existing mechanics, weapons, armours, and the ways the game is played ("Meta").

To make sensible suggestions it needs a lot of knowledge and insight in those circumstances, prerequisites, and constraints, together with the possibilities and limitations of the programming language and the game engine, as well as general game mechanics as noted above. Trying to prescribe detailed behaviour without much if any of such knowledge is just a vain and idle undertaking. Darnok should try to play and learn the game for a while instead of making a fool and an annoyance out of himself.

That said, I go back to ignoring these suggestions.

5 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

Also it is quite megalomaniac

Oh come on, in the snippets above the word "should" comes up only 17 times. It's O.K. to make demands instead of suggestions. 😜

4 minutes ago, Madnath said:

...Did you just make a thread to repost all your suggestions? tf?

I suggested this, and for it to be used moving forward for all creature suggestions in order to avoid it getting clogged up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ekcin said:

To make sensible suggestions it needs a lot of knowledge and insight in those circumstances, prerequisites, and constraints, together with the possibilities and limitations of the programming language and the game engine, as well as general game mechanics as noted above. Trying to prescribe detailed behaviour without much if any of such knowledge is just a vain and idle undertaking. 

Wurm combat and monsters need a shake up. People are so used to just being able to go up to a creature and have their character auto attack while they put something on the TV or YouTube to watch. 

Wurm monsters are non threatening beasts who just attack mindlessly with not really any special effects, moves or manoeuvres. 

People have got so used to just being able to semi afk fighting that anything different is a big aaaah!  Stay away! 

I play a wurm unlimited server where there are 3 new kinds of monsters.  Forest spiders which have long thin legs, are green so they blend into the trees, are tough to kill and use acid attacks. 

Another new monster is a spitting spider.  Which is a ranged monster who will spit acid from a distance.  You have to chase after it, to kill it or corner it by the water for a more easy kill.  Which also makes me think about learning archery so that I can shoot down the little buggers. 

The final monster, I have not fought yet but it is a golem.  Made of different metals. When it is dead you can mine certain minerals from it. It appears randomly when you mine out a cave wall (I think). It is not aggressive until you attack it.  It is meant to vary in strength but can be much more powerful then a troll and a pickaxe is a great weapon to use on it.  Though someone said that using a pickaxe on it actually increases its power by 20% or something. 

So each of these monsters brings something new to the table. To shake things up. Camouflage, special effects, ranged attacks, fleeing and special rewards. 

Though maybe some of dars monster suggestions bring in mechanics that are too advanced for Wurm but if that is the case then we just simplify them to make them work.  Cause there are some good blueprint ideas there and wurm would feel alot more alive with a variety of creatures. Maybe even different ones that appear as the seasons change, as some of his suggestions say.  

Cave spiders

Small and not aggressive, they spawn in caves, do not like light, so they turn off any lamps they come across.

They stretch their webs from the floor to the ceiling of cave, while themselves waiting for a victim on ceiling.
When player goes through spider's web, it is destroyed, but spider lands on player's back in place of backpack. The spider is non-aggressive, but tries to catch player with a spider web, slowing him down all the time.
You can drop spider with help of another player and a torch or by jumping into water. In both cases, spider will become aggressive.

Drop: A cocoon made of cobwebs that, like a cave web, can be used to make a thread.

Big butterflies

Not aggressive, the size of a bird. They can be caught with a fishing net.

If player releases them in a house with a roof and feeds honey and grows potted plants in same room, butterflies lay eggs, from which larvae hatch, eat the plants, but their cocoon can be used to crafting a new material - silk.
Tailors and cloth armor could get a little more variety.

Drop: eggs

Edited by Darnok

Dont forget the Elves, gotta have them around and some Bandits that are mostly Homospaipans.

3 hours ago, Zexos said:

Wurm combat and monsters need a shake up. People are so used to just being able to go up to a creature and have their character auto attack while they put something on the TV or YouTube to watch. 

First, yes I would love more PvE challenges. I love the packs of rift beasts which are seriously dangerous with their taking turns in taunting landing hits quite often. They are not even particularly strong as a single foe for higher FS and good weaponry and armour, but they are dangerous, and develop comparatively smart tactics.

As to the "shakeup", this is neoliberal cr*p talk. We are speaking about serious programming and designing, not market sh*t.

Wurm monsters are non threatening beasts who just attack mindlessly with not really any special effects, moves or manoeuvres. 

See above. You are exaggerating, or ignorant. Btw., even trolls are far from stupid, their focus stealing is not bad, nor is their stunning. Only, they only act in packs in Malena's great intro. Would love to have them doing that ingame.

People have got so used to just being able to semi afk fighting that anything different is a big aaaah!  Stay away! 

Nonsense.The higher FS players in particular are unhappy with PvE challenges ending at skill 70. Til then, there are real adventures. Trickster has posted a couple of great tales about new players' experiences.

I play a wurm unlimited server where there are 3 new kinds of monsters.  Forest spiders which have long thin legs, are green so they blend into the trees, are tough to kill and use acid attacks. 

Another new monster is a spitting spider.  Which is a ranged monster who will spit acid from a distance.  You have to chase after it, to kill it or corner it by the water for a more easy kill.  Which also makes me think about learning archery so that I can shoot down the little buggers. 

The final monster, I have not fought yet but it is a golem.  Made of different metals. When it is dead you can mine certain minerals from it. It appears randomly when you mine out a cave wall (I think). It is not aggressive until you attack it.  It is meant to vary in strength but can be much more powerful then a troll and a pickaxe is a great weapon to use on it.  Though someone said that using a pickaxe on it actually increases its power by 20% or something. 

So each of these monsters brings something new to the table. To shake things up. Camouflage, special effects, ranged attacks, fleeing and special rewards. 

That sounds like working solutions. I would like them to be evaluated, and finally implemented. Would make PvE combat more interesting.

A caveat: Even our recent trolls and gobs are in no way harmless for new and lower level players. Hell hounds, with their long attack range, and high dps, are a menace even for medium levels (I recall Malena having been killed repeatedly by them). Due to their low hp they are no match for a higher level player with good armour and e.g. BT weapon, nearly a 1 hit with a max BT 2hand weapon.

Here is the problem: New mobs need to be balanced against different skill levels, equipment, armour, and the environs where they spawn and roam.

Though maybe some of dars monster suggestions bring in mechanics that are too advanced for Wurm but if that is the case then we just simplify them to make them work.  Cause there are some good blueprint ideas there and wurm would feel alot more alive with a variety of creatures. Maybe even different ones that appear as the seasons change, as some of his suggestions say.  

Sorry no, they are all trash. I can easily invent or steal twenty new fancy names, e.g. from 西遊記; (Xī Yóu Jì), a classic Chinese novel, where you can find tens of extravagant monsters, even with special attacks ;) . That does not help Wurm.

A PvE mob can initially be designed just as a blob, model given later. What is important, are health, stamina, armour, defensive and offensive tactics, melee and magical, and they have to be balanced against the possible opponents. We have awesome Valrei mobs already.

Edited by Ekcin
typo

7 hours ago, Zexos said:

+1000²

I would like the fog spider to have ranged attacks, it makes no sense to fight this mob that teleports, but after teleporting it approaches the player again.

I like it, but in my opinion the most effective weapon against stone golems should be the maul with crushing dmg type.

I would extend the golem idea so that they spawn not only in the mines, but also when priests of Mag cast a spell.

Rite spells

Ritual of the sun - Not only metal meteorites fall from the sky, but also stone ones, and they turn into golems (can be aggressive), which, when killed, can be used to extract marble, slate, etc.

- liquid metal blobs fall near metal meteorites, normal weapons are practically ineffective against them, they are much easier to kill with cold or acid dmg type.

drop: when killed they are turned into a lump of a given metal.

You can use taming skill on them, as a pet they can take the shape of any animal, but with metallic skin. They can be fed with hot metal lumps, then they grow, when they reach a certain size, they split into two smaller creatures, like cells.

0SxzTqzZ-SofQorttxaugmtv2sj2DRlCp2lCSaCh

Rite of spring - Not only do ships get faster, but more mobs appear in the seas:

- barracudas with electric damage type can paralyze player for a few seconds, drop: gland which when squeezed, produces a substance that allows you to paralyze your opponent for a few seconds. Substance can be poured into a small container and thrown at target.

- crabs with shell come ashore, they are strong and slow like turtles, they can be non-aggressive and when attacked they can hide in a shell that must first be broken to kill crab, the shell will only break after few hits from crushing weapon.

- Vyn water horses - practically blue, with a trait that allows them to ride deeper water than any other animal, even with a player on its back.

Holy crop - some trees come to life in the form of ents, different species of tree change into different ents with different strength, drop: ent sprouts, which allow you to breed a small ent that can be a pet when it grows up,

Stra%C5%BCnicy-Galaktyki-1.jpg

Rite of death

- The ghosts of those who drowned or died during storms appear on the seas, along with shipwrecks, sailing aimlessly. Drop: treasures and various types of cargo.

- On lands, mobs that died in few days before the spell was cast come back to life in the form of skeletons (all are evil and aggressive).

Drop: bones, lots of bones, not the magic ones, but the ordinary ones that can be used to create various new items, such as a bone spear or bone club, bone knife, bone armor etc (each animal type bones can have different properties like metals, dragon bones can be the best like dragon armor)

femur-club.png

62ca632f65d91614f2c16b0700cce132.png

Edited by Darnok

The ghosts of those who drowned or died during storms ..

New World

2 hours ago, Ekcin said:

First, yes I would love more PvE challenges. I love the packs of rift beasts which are seriously dangerous with their taking turns in taunting landing hits quite often. They are not even particularly strong as a single foe for higher FS and good weaponry and armour, but they are dangerous, and develop comparatively smart tactics.

As to the "shakeup", this is neoliberal cr*p talk. We are speaking about serious programming and designing, not market sh*t.

See above. You are exaggerating, or ignorant. Btw., even trolls are far from stupid, their focus stealing is not bad, nor is their stunning. Only, they only act in packs in Malena's great intro. Would love to have them doing that ingame.

Nonsense.The higher FS players in particular are unhappy with PvE challenges ending at skill 70. Til then, there are real adventures. Trickster has posted a couple of great tales about new players' experiences.

That sounds like working solutions. I would like them to be evaluated, and finally implemented. Would make PvE combat more interesting.

A caveat: Even our recent trolls and gobs are in no way harmless for new and lower level players. Hell hounds, with their long attack range, and high dps, are a menace even for medium levels (I recall Malena having been killed repeatedly by them). Due to their low hp they are no match for a higher level player with good armour and e.g. BT weapon, nearly a 1 hit with a max BT 2hand weapon.

Here is the problem: New mobs need to be balanced against different skill levels, equipment, armour, and the environs where they spawn and roam.

Sorry no, they are all trash. I can easily invent or steal twenty new fancy names, e.g. from 西遊記; (Xī Yóu Jì), a classic Chinese novel, where you can find tens of extravagant monsters, even with special attacks ;) . That does not help Wurm.

A PvE mob can initially be designed just as a blob, model given later. What is important, are health, stamina, armour, defensive and offensive tactics, melee and magical, and they have to be balanced against the possible opponents. We have awesome Valrei mobs already.

Well, I think alot of my stuff was more so a reaction to the massive shut down talk.  (ie - Shakeup - )   I am ignorant (As shown by you telling me info that I did not know) and over making a point. 

I did not know that rift monsters did that because I have never been in a fight with a rift monster.  I also did not know that trolls did focus stealing or even stunning.  I normally fight monsters by just going up to them and sometimes pressing the focus key to gain some focus and then just wait for my character to kill the monster.   If the monster is too powerful then I will run to find a guard tower or a deed with spirit guards.   Then repeat. 

Ooooooh.....I do hate hell hounds or I did used to really hate them.  Now my main hate is trolls.  I really hate them.  Okay, okay, there is some threat to the monsters in their current state but it would be good to have some different challenges I would say.  Maybe the monsters could keep to certain zones like how the monster camps work.  Then you would not have scorps in grassland picking flowers.  Instead they should be in the desert taking a nice sand bath.

Hmm.....Yeah, I guess that the tech details are more easy to gloss over. To me, what a monster looks like and how it will act is like, really important.  The health, stam, armour...etc is data stuff that I'm not really that interested in.  Maybe I should get interested in it so that suggestions can be more overall rounded and fuller. I will work on that for any of my future suggestions 🙂

Foxes.. sure.. all kinds of sizes and colors.. +1, not specifically that suggestion probably.. but as default foxes and options to make hats:  H U G E  +1

Birds no... if wurm doesn't pick up to use aiming, pointless to have flying anything.

Dryads are already implemented... the halloween model we have for deers.. why that is not a normal mob here and why we have so many donkeys, gorillas, hyenas.... who knows...
+1 for usage of that model... as normal/champ/maybe unique
+1 for the weird jackal crab model to be used as same rift encounter or unique.. or w/e..

They are already content that just collects dust.

no to everything else, imo

I think it would be far more appropriate for the current creatures to be adjusted accordingly first before adding any new ones...
For example rats,seals,whales, spiders and etc. having the exact same sound que's/sound packs if i'm remembering correct. You get the drift.

• Like 1

I actually like the idea of Ents, but only if I can have them hang around my deed and they help crops grow.

• Like 1