Sign in to follow this  
Holar

Claiming boats, wagons etc

After 6 months of someone being inactive a random person should be allowed to claim wagons, carts or ships. Obviously if something is deeded you won't won't be able to. I've recently deeded an area that has wagons and boats that I have to shove to a corner that just take up space and I'm sure others have had the same happen. Give it a 5 minute timer and only allow one claim per day per server. per diem 

If this has already been suggested I'm sorry, 

• Like 3
  • Cat 1

Could also make abandoned boats drift with the currents and end up on chaos. Would remove stupid amount of boats from freedom and give people like Beastwolf something to do on chaos.

• Like 1

no

Brings back dumb shenanigan play.. that used to be toxic before.

Some people just lurk around or hide boats to claim them later.

It's already ok to ask a gm with a ticket to move such boats / wagons just outside of your perimeter.. if you're really ocd.. I guess you could ask for something a bit further out of your direct view for boats, wagons/carts/containers.. can be burned on lava if they are annoying, rest is claiming pvp wagons for the skins and reselling or hoarding.

Leave the wealth transfer with vehicle robbery for pvp, pve shouldn't turn into that.

imo

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Finnn said:

Leave the wealth transfer with vehicle robbery for pvp, pve shouldn't turn into that.

I agree that the suggestion is a bit ambiguous and it's not entirely clear if the OP wants to clean up old vehicles and containers or to claim and use them or both.

Claiming would be a mild NO from me because no time of absence guarantees that the owner won't return to the game 10 minutes before the time runs out and they could surely use their old stuff.

Moving those off deed should however be simplified.

Some people would rather suffer the clutter than submit a ticket and deal with staff in a language they might not speak or might have anxieties and not want to talk to people entirely but still play and love WO (albeit in semi-single player).

Few ideas to add to original suggestion: 

1. after say 90 days or 6 months or whatever is reasonable, show an option in the right click menu to request removal from deed. This could raise an alert for the staff accessible channels, like destroying a highway does. First available staff member then teleports to the vehicle and moves it off deed.

No typing, no interaction required. No annoying 7 day support tab showing for the player.

2. Allow mayors to push/pull any and all vehicles on their deed and once it enters either the first tile of perimeter or first tile of wild land, anchor and permissions kick in as they normally do.

Edited by Locath

i kinda remember the old salvaging unlocked ships system and i think i used it a couple of times but  if i remember right in the old system you had to pay gms coin for salvaging abandoned ships.

i dont think this is a good idea but something should change, at the very least make carts decay faster when a player if offline more than 6 months or more than 1 year.

Edited by Tpikol

43 minutes ago, Finnn said:

no

Brings back dumb shenanigan play.. that used to be toxic before.

Some people just lurk around or hide boats to claim them later.

It's already ok to ask a gm with a ticket to move such boats / wagons just outside of your perimeter.. if you're really ocd.. I guess you could ask for something a bit further out of your direct view for boats, wagons/carts/containers.. can be burned on lava if they are annoying, rest is claiming pvp wagons for the skins and reselling or hoarding.

imo

If its off deed, in the middle of a forest and its not being used why don't you make it easier for noobs to use? I mean you already have players make houses next to deeds with low upkeep then they just cata short walls down and raid it that way. 

Lets just let stuff sit around and rot like horders with no use, good idea. 

20 minutes ago, Holar said:

If its off deed, in the middle of a forest and its not being used why don't you make it easier for noobs to use? I mean you already have players make houses next to deeds with low upkeep then they just cata short walls down and raid it that way. 

Lets just let stuff sit around and rot like horders with no use, good idea. 

"noobs" normally eat dirt and figure if hatchet is good weapon vs spiders and wolves, after like 10-15 deaths .. they quit or ask in ca-help and feel terrible about themselves or the game.

Claiming boats and pmk wagons is not done by "noobs", it's only pve stealing for wealth.

Yea it sucks to see a random pmk wagon decay in the open, but it's not yours, so who gives a ..., it's part of the pve no stealing rule, leave it be, craft that x k bricks or w/e and buy a wagon or join pk as just crafter, exchange w/e for it.

There are options to obtain stuff, no need to steal from somebody who left the game or have gone afk for month(s), sometimes these vehicles are all returning players can find and restart easier.

If certain areas are flooded by junk.. there might be a reason for some GM and game mechanic for cleaning up.. but claiming is dirty practice only mostly used to monetize other's work.

• Like 4

This is an alternative function for people to use and keep from adding another task for GM's to take on. Who cares if its used for wealth or put to use? If it gets sold, it gets used. The cycle continues 

Finn is correct. there have been several times where i came back from hiatus and all that was left was one cart or w/e, and even having access to that was a huge boon just as a returning player. Lets not make it more difficult then it already is to come back to wurm.

• Like 2

Why not just a simple 'Salvage' option in the right-click context menu, anyone can do it after X days of inactivity.  It would automatically send a support ticket for new specialized Salvage staff to look at, volunteer staff ofc, and once they determine it's valid the first in line for that vessel is given ownership and the ticket is closed.

Simple and official.

1 hour ago, Nomadikhan said:

Why not just a simple 'Salvage' option in the right-click context menu, anyone can do it after X days of inactivity.  It would automatically send a support ticket for new specialized Salvage staff to look at, volunteer staff ofc, and once they determine it's valid the first in line for that vessel is given ownership and the ticket is closed.

Simple and official.

Stuff in stuff.. vehicles are 'moving homes, simple way to protect a lot of *STUFF* with a lock on pve, even the fallen deed robbers use alts to stalk places, make cart/wagons and just dump whatever valuable they can snatch before others - then secure for 2nd time what they have "salvaged" from the fallen deed, with exactly same security a vehicle provides. You can track these as they are left behind normally, hard to simply move around or dismantle;

Dismantling option will help both shenanigans cover tracks and generate wealth from ditched vehicles

Maybe there's a reason none of this is implemented, some was and now isn't.. it's a dirtbag practice, and people doing it aren't so infamous on their and other servers for chasing the wealth from this.

• Like 1

I don't like abandoned carts, wagons and boats, but I am against this suggestion 100%. Move it out of sight if it bothers you that much. But having seen people take very long breaks from Wurm, having your most prized possessions (mostly) intact in a boat or wagon makes it easier to come back and play, which should be the goal of any idea here - getting people to come back and play again.

• Like 4

-1 to this suggestion.

Spawn towns should have holding yards (or marinas for boats) and unclaimed/inactive clutter moved there by GM based on a request and a confirmed lack of activity.  If the inactive player returns, they can lodge a ticket to either a) locate their vehicle so they can go get it or b) have it returned to a suitable location for them to pick up.  If they don't want to lodge a ticket, they could just go to their nearest spawn town and look around, but that is assuming that it is the right one and that it won't be a needle/haystack proposition.

That would help ease the clutter without greatly disadvantaging those who have to be away (or are just staying away until they are confident the game's development cycle is ongoing).

u cant have people who are coming back or not , leave there crap lying around everywere no burn it all i say , come back mths later well u start again .

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, christopher said:

u cant have people who are coming back or not , leave there crap lying around everywere no burn it all i say , come back mths later well u start again .

What if you take a ride in your supreme pmk wagon.. and your motherboard randomly burns, at the same time your psu and video.. you're tight on money.. and you skip not 1 but 3 or more months without playing.. focusing on RL or w/e, so one day you return and expect that ql90 wagon to be somewhere around spawn town or w/e you "crashed" but now oh, it's gone, eh.. who cares it's only worth <x> G coins, you'll buy another.😎

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Holar said:

Who cares if its used for wealth or put to use?

Well, me.

Also, probably the person who invested time and probably money in making or acquiring it in the first place.

I am all for anti-clutter mechanics to deal with abandons, but care needs to be taken regarding fairness. 

1 hour ago, christopher said:

I spent a year in game getting to the point of making a knarr for myself.  I recently had a few months off for a variety of RL reasons.  I would have been appalled when I logged back in if I discovered that my boat, my cart, all my pretty horse tack and my rare, enchanted and/or skinned tools and weapons had either been destroyed or stolen.  

It would lead to massively prejudicial rage-quits.  It is basically declaring to other players "If you do not play as often as I decide you should then you are not welcome to play Wurm as a continuing player."  Pretty much the antithesis of "sandbox".

• Like 4

It's been talked to death as well, like many other things. 

Personally I'm on the anti-protectionism philosophy on Freedom, aka I hate to see the servers littered with hundreds of abandoned carts, ships, wagons, small carts, etc. It just makes the servers uglier and adds to the "abandoned ghost town" feel of the game. 

Give each player a max of 1 year of "vacation mode" enabled via profile, if they want to take a break. After 365 days, if the player still doesn't login, his carts/  wagons/ ships take 25 x damage ticks vs the regular damage tick intervals. 

If you're prem and you have logged off without vacation mode "on", your stuff begins to take 25x damage ticks after 6 months, by stuff I mean anything under the manage permission system. 

This doesn't necessarily destroy a person's items if he has a friend or friends to safeguard them or repair. But it does clean up all the freaking garbage people leave around with ql 1 locks (btw I hate that ###### system). You can always repair a friends cart, or if it decays, simply put his stuff in a few rafts in a wagon for him to claim it later on. 

This system would not work on deed for obvious reasons, simply for off deed stuff. In reality, if you leave a wooden ship unattended for a year exposed to the elements, rain, frost, humidity, mold, storms  it's going to rot pretty fast if it's not regularly cleaned and maintained. 

I hate the fact that the game doesn't have a mechanic to keep you responsible for the garbage you can leave around any server, garbage that takes years to decay assuming a hapless wanderer won't grind his repair skill on some abandoned wagons or carts. 

• Like 1

<snark> yeah because major life disruptions only ever come with sufficient notice to get everything in order first and everybody's computer automatically gives a warning ahead of time when it is about fail totally.  </snark>

I am all for cleaning up the clutter, but there are means available that require neither destruction nor confiscation.

Edited by TheTrickster
  • Like 1

GM's and other staff members don't and shouldn't be responsible to clean up the mess, they have a way more important role in making sure the servers are running good and that bugs are dealt with when a player is stuck out at sea and there boat goes over to the other server but leaves the captain lol... 

I think there should be a bigger tick on items left out in the elements, if its not on deed then it should get ticks. - Maybe have a timer on any item that leaves a deed and after 30 days the bigger ticks hit, seems silly that someone can make a cart or wagon and it take so long to go just makes the area look bad. 

As for the someone who's computer or IRL problems happen I'm sorry to say but 30 days should be plenty of time to think oh i got to move my supreme wagon / cart / whatever is left in the open and find a way to do so, if its a computer problem im sure they can use a friends laptop/computer, 30 days is enough then maybe take another 10% tick rate after thet, this still gives them a few months to decay. 

Lets be fair the North servers are suffering with wasted items - Recycling them is a waste of time for the people it will take to make this possible as 99% of these items are like 10QL its not worth it at all, and if you have a 90+ wagon /  cart you have plenty of time to go get it even on the higher ticks. 

Or another way of dealing with it is have a yearly "Tick Upping" one day of the year anything that's off deed gets ticked away - people would have a whole year to move there crap if they want to keep it or add a option on the cart / wagon saying "I use this do not Uptick this item" when ticked this option will save this item from the tick upping for players that live off deed and are active. a message could be spread to people with items off deed saying 11/11/21 your offdeed items will be apart of the Tick upping, please tick the button to stop this from happening on the item in question. - this would make the server's have a fresh start each year and save the clutter from just building up. - I also think on this one day GM's would go around and fix the spawn areas and maybe collapsing the starter mines making it fresh again. 

On Harmony there is a huge pile of carts / wagons on the top of a hill - i used to love the way harmony bay looked but its become a bit of a dumping ground. 

Edited by wsrich

I think items like carts, wagons and secured items like floor looms, chests, bsb's, etc.. that can not be bashed should decay much more rapidly after 6 months to clean up the landscape.  Cadence is loaded with crap all over the place and looks terrible when exploring the wilderness.  

Destruction and decay are good for markets.

For those that have the foresight to load a wagon or wagons with all their supreme tools so it stays safe until they return from hiatus, should also have the foresight to create a 5x5x5x5 deed and top it with 2 years premium upkeep.  Then all their items, including the wagon could be stored safely until their return.   

For anyone that has RL issues and has to leave the game abruptly, I have found Wurm to be a very friendly place, with great supportive people to help when they return.  

For those that rage quit, oh well.  

• Like 2

So don't involve GMs.

Activity tracking is already a thing.  Simply have an action available on off-deed vehicles that have not been accessed in x amount of time, something like "report as unclaimed".   A 30 day timer is started, and in that 30 days every user with a reported item gets a message upon login along the lines of "your vehicle is scheduled to be towed" (a bit similar to the premium-ending one).  Every 30 days, the server polls for vehicles whose timers have expired and teleports them to the holding/claiming area for that server (or the nearest one for a big server that might have more than on).  This also triggers a log-in message along the lines of "Your vehicle has been impounded, please claim it from ....".

There, done.  An easy, automated way to get rid of cluttering vehicles that doesn't grief the owners.

10 hours ago, Tukodama said:

For those that have the foresight to load a wagon or wagons with all their supreme tools so it stays safe until they return from hiatus, should also have the foresight to create a 5x5x5x5 deed and top it with 2 years premium upkeep.  Then all their items, including the wagon could be stored safely until their return.