Sign in to follow this  
Spy

NFI to SFI portal

Lets make portal to SFI from NFi with only one side skill transfer from NFI to SFI.

Why? Didn't you hear their plans to connect them if 1 it flops 2 in a few years after release? Just be patient

• Like 2

Can I get a portal to the void

Edited by user
One way ofc

Or NFI to Epic, that server cluster everyone forgot about and it's stinking up the place with its corpse. 

• Cat 1

The NFI-SFI portal does not make any sense now (btw NFI-Epic doesn't either as that would create tons of complications, Epic deserves better).

The proposal has been raised last year, when the population on NFI was exploding, 2 additional servers created within a few weeks, and new players still complaining about lack of spots to settle and sky high prices for everything, quite some quitting for that reason.

At that time, the SFI population had somewhat decreased compared to the last pre launch months due to "emigration" to NFI mainly for market and PvP opportunities, and some fresh blood would have been welcome.

The situation has reverted since. The NFI population was in significant decline during the whole of 2020 but has reached stability since, especially taking in account that Wurm participation always shrunk somewhat during summer season. SFI has not only stabilized but gained some additional participation. None of those figures is extremely encourageing as the churn rates are too high everywhere, and that is not only kids yearning for fast gains. But NFI certainly needs no player emigration to other parts of Wurm. 

Instead of cannibalizing sub-communities the unification of the clusters should be considered.

Edited by Ekcin
typo
  • Like 5

That would just drain players from the North side to the South side, either make it two way skill transfer or don't add it at all. Preferably the latter, just allow boat access and be done with it already.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Ecrir said:

That would just drain players from the North side to the South side, either make it two way skill transfer or don't add it at all. Preferably the latter, just allow boat access and be done with it already.

just close the northern isles and delete all accounts there, it will have the same effect as merging them.

39 minutes ago, Tpikol said:

just close the northern isles and delete all accounts there, it will have the same effect as merging them.

That is complete nonsense. There are many NFI players who started playing Wurm there, and would be curious about new opportunities to explore, and to travel. There are "old" SFI players who settled there while mothballing their old characters, disbanding or shrinking their deeds. Not few of them already migrated back, acting likewise.

A merge could be made an interesting series of events, attracting new and reactivating old players. Still NFI is possibly in some albeit much reduced decline. Having new lands to explore, even the Epic cluster, could be a strong incentive to continue, or come back.

Granted, the profiteers will cry.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ekcin said:

Granted, the profiteers will cry.

if you want to call players who dont want to go back to having 15 players per server at peak times "profiteers" thats your call. but that is what will happen.

but dont worry new players who complain they cant even find empty land on the northern isles will love the interesting event of sailing or walking trough deliverance and looking at deeds disbanded 7 years ago still standing like they day they disbanded because they were built by someone with 99 in everything.

just letting people go to epic with no changes isn't going to make people play there.

• Like 1

Explain to me, why should a player who moved to NFI stop playing when it is possible to sail to SFI? Moreover, why should a player who started on NFI quit because it is possible to sail and portal somewhere else?

For those making silvers from overpriced items, nowadays unique stuff in particular, will mourn, or at least grumble. Yet, the prices of general stuff have already fallen a lot, so there won't be a shock on merge. And not all northerners are happy with a market they report still being strongly in the hands of SFI migrated Wurm veterans. They are paying the same for a silver as those on SFI after all.

• Like 1

i haven't been to any unique killings on NFI or sold anything from any uniques  and the highest skill i have is main carpentry at 84 and  i would quit as soon as they merged them.

32 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

Explain to me, why should a player who moved to NFI stop playing when it is possible to sail to SFI? Moreover, why should a player who started on NFI quit because it is possible to sail and portal somewhere else?

you explain to me why anybody would stay in the servers after they are flooded with hundreds of accounts with 99 on everything  and their thousands of gold  both of which were accumulated trough ways that are no longer possible because they were later declared to be exploits or bugs.

32 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

For those making silvers from overpriced items, nowadays unique stuff in particular, will mourn, or at least grumble. Yet, the prices of general stuff have already fallen a lot, so there won't be a shock on merge

you cant have it both ways, you cant say at the same time that the market wouldn't change because prices are lowering in NFI and also that its very important that they merge because you think things are overpriced.

31 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

And not all northerners are happy with a market they report still being strongly in the hands of SFI migrated Wurm veterans

and you think those same migrated veterans bringing their main accounts to northern isles would help new players have a bigger share of the market? come on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tpikol said:

if you want to call players who dont want to go back to having 15 players per server at peak times "profiteers" thats your call. but that is what will happen.

so the merge will kill the game somehow, but people won't go back to a server with 15 people, but they'll do it anyway or quit playing because it's an option? what lol

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Tpikol said:

i haven't been to any unique killings on NFI or sold anything from any uniques  and the highest skill i have is main carpentry at 84 and  i would quit as soon as they merged them.

Your decision. I reckon they will eventually merge, but I fail to understand what you are fearing.

I mentioned uniques because that segment is in scarce supply and will stay for years if not forever as the number of uniques is finite, so is the output therefrom, and thus they are overpriced. Not only SFI has a backlog of over a decade of unique hunts and unique materials gathering and crafting, it has 2.7 times more output of newly slain uniques. Drake and scale armour is not cheap on SFI either, but somewhat affordable, and, what is more important, available. I would expect unique  mats and products prices rise in SFI after a merge, but normalize over time.

you explain to me why anybody would stay in the servers after they are flooded with hundreds of accounts with 99 on everything  and their thousands of gold  both of which were accumulated trough ways that are no longer possible because they were later declared to be exploits or bugs.

I fail to see your problem. I started less than 4 years ago with 1 on anything (ok except characteristics) on those very servers which were 5 to ten years old even then. I cannot say that any of the "accounts with 99 on everything" (which is an exaggeration even for the most outstanding achievers) ever bothered me, on contrary. I received a lot of advice and support exactly from such experienced players when I was asking for. You seem to consider them monsters. And your accusation of cheating is disgusting and primitive.

The ones interested in NFI are (or were) already there, they moved when the servers were launched, and had a tremendous headstart due to their experience. They were the ones at least first to use mechanics like WoV/fatigue where the devs felt the need to reign in. As to the golds the bad SFI vets allegedly possess in thousands , what the hell should they do with on NFI when the clusters are merged, causing hyperinflation due to their tremendous purchasing power? Do you at least sometimes think before you write?

you cant have it both ways, you cant say at the same time that the market wouldn't change because prices are lowering in NFI and also that its very important that they merge because you think things are overpriced.

I did not say that "the market wouldn't change" rather that no disaster would happen. NFI price levels are still higher so they would adjust downwards somewhat faster than they are already doing. In some segments like unique drops and products SFI would see relative price hikes. For the average player not staring at "the market" all time not so much would change, only some relief for NFI consumers. Sellers would have to strive bit more for their niche, but in fact not so much more, except the SFI emigrees controlling NFI markets since the launch.

And "the market" is not all of the game, only a minor segment. I never really cared for, and it took over a year til I purchased something. I cannot say that I feel to have missed so much. Learning, exploring, fighting, crafting, mining, joining events, sailing to other servers, that is what Wurm is for me as for most other players.

Edited by Ekcin
addendum

53 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

I mentioned uniques because that segment is in scarce supply and will stay for years if not forever as the number of uniques is finite, so is the output therefrom, and thus they are overpriced. Not only SFI has a backlog of over a decade of unique hunts and unique materials gathering and crafting, it has 2.7 times more output of newly slain uniques. Drake and scale armour is not cheap on SFI either, but somewhat affordable, and, what is more important, available.

thats only a good thing if you start with the idea that more people having drake and scale armor is a good thing.

You seem to consider them monsters. And your accusation of cheating is disgusting and primitive

no i am one of them and if you dont know what i mean when i talk about ways to skill up that were normal for years but later declared bugs or exploits that doesn't make it false.

i know because i did it, like everybody else. im not accusing people of cheating im saying that many mechanics have been changed.

As to the golds the bad SFI vets allegedly possess in thousands.

im sorry that you know nothing about this either, try asking those people who have been so nice to you, they know what i mean.

what the hell should they do with on NFI when the clusters are merged, causing hyperinflation due to their tremendous purchasing power? Do you at least sometimes think before you write?

the same thing they do in SFI, have big deeds on every server that nobody plays on but stay there forever. great for new player retention.

did not say that "the market wouldn't change" rather that no disaster would happen. NFI price levels are still higher so they would adjust downwards somewhat faster than they are already doing. In some segments like unique drops and products SFI would see relative price hikes. For the average player not staring at "the market" all time not so much would change, only some relief for NFI consumers. Sellers would have to strive bit more for their niche, but in fact not so much more, except the SFI emigrees controlling NFI markets since the launch.

do you ever think before you write? what will hapen if or when they merge is that all prices will instantly drop to SFI prices and keep going down. and nobody in NFI except for those "SFI emigrees" you keep talking about will be able to sell anything.

do you remember the last merger? i do and thats what happened.

EDIT: to be clear, yes eventually they will most likely merge, but i hope it doesnt happen for a least a couple more years.

Edited by Tpikol

The fears are largely pointless. Wurm population is in overall decline, read the threads measuring population data. 

They said "Freedom would die" when the Epic>Freedom skill transfer kicked in, but it didn't. Partially because there were so few Epic players left in the first place, partially because the market on SFI was so consolidated and oversaturated with goods, a few accounts didn't make a dent. 

If we wait until NFI drops to  200 players or less, the merge won't change anything. 

Personally I've seen that fracturing the community in clusters leads to people eventually quitting, leaving empty servers behind. Epic is an abandoned cluster. It's been an abandoned cluster for years and no new group have established a significant presence there.  

NFI at the moment is pretty much within the same historic parameters as Epic, in the sense that it is an isolated cluster, far removed from the old Freedom Cluster, SFI. 

No merge will eventually lead players to feel like they are gated on a few servers. 

This could have been partially avoided or mitigated if there were significant efforts to advertise at the steam launch that there was PLENTY OF SPACE on both SFI / Epic for new players to start, prime real estate is all over the place. 

And looking back, the main counterargument that "But we don't want new players in an established market being taken advantage of by the veterans. We don't want new players to realise they can't sell their wares competitively when weapons / gear are so cheap." ..... right. And the reality of having price gouging on NFI where things are sold at absurd prices is better? At least the competition on SFI is so high that you can always find a bargain  due to the number of sellers. 

Personally I think we have too many servers, but closing any down would do harm to the people that worked / terraformed / played there. 

I don't see any solution other than perhaps adding a distinctive "feature" to every individual server or cluster to make them unique and appealing such as

1. Epic - add the 2 way skill transfer with less skill from Epic transfered to freedom. Literally this is the #1 incentive no one plays there since your skill is isolated there. 

2. Independence - increased body stam / climbing skillgain + add individual player goals to climb indy's mountains and "plant a sign" on top of the mountains there. Rewards can be in the form of moon metals, sleep powders, a climbing affinity token, etc.

3. Deliverance - increased religion / prayer skillgain (in line with the server's name), have missions / player goals dedicated for priests. 

4. Pristine - increased swords skillgain, have goals to hunt a lot there and keep the server mob population reduced. 

You get the idea, but at this point I think servers could benefit from more of a unique touch, that tries to branch out to multiple playstyles, anything that encourages travelling, unique identities, etc. 

Merging them won't kill off wurm no more than having a skill transfer didn't kill freedom (currently SFI). 

The only thing I'm certain of is that the market needs "item sinks" for prices to stabilize, otherwise you can open 50 new "fresh" servers and nothing will change. The other thing I know is we have way too many servers and open space in them that it feels like a ghost town wherever you go. 

• Like 2

A full merge is the only kind that makes sense, if it is to be done.  NFI skillers have pushed up their skills to similar levels to SFI, at least as far as crafting goes.  Lots of 99s all over NFI.  Prices have been dropping in NFI and have recovered quite a bit on SFI.  It will very likely disrupt the high end craft businesses of both SFI and NFI a bit, but markets always change and it requires flexibility to adapt to the competition and continue earning your customer's business.

How many players would quit vs how many would return?  I believe you would get more returning players, who are interested in the new servers, but not interested in starting new characters all over again.

Where I see the biggest boon for the game is in deeds.  A merge would set off a pretty large scale run on deeding (I think), as players set up outposts on new servers available to them. 

I don't think there is much downside for Wurm in a merge.  The biggest hit will be for players that have exclusive niches like the uniques markets.  There are some very strong groups on both clusters, which may or may not be the same people, with multiple alts on both clusters, so it might not even matter that much there.  SFI unique equipment will increase in value and NFI will drop.  No question.  But considering that the popultion of NFI is so much higher, the SFI unique gear will get snatched up with some pretty aggressive bidding.

Is it time to merge?  I don't really know.  I have lots of deeds on both and lots of alts on both.  I created a ton of new prems on NFI for the launch, but will only renew 4 when their subs expire.  Same as the 4 I keep on SFI.  I don't think that would change if they merged, because I don't like sailing between servers to work on projects, so I'd keep each group at their home base to work on what I have going in each place.  I think I'd be fine with a merge now, but also fine with it happening in another year.  But merging will happen eventually.

PVP?  I think this may be the biggest problem.  Legacy PVPrs stats and tomes will unbalance PVP on NFI.  I personally don't care for it at all, but that is a community that would get completely screwed.  I think you would have to put a block on legacy players from using the NFI PvP portals.  I see no issues with NFI players sailing to chaos though, but this isn't my area of experience.

• Like 6

Didn't read all the back and forth, but a huge -1 to the OP. keep those NFI'ers away from the peace and quiet of the SFI.

20 hours ago, wipeout said:

Why? Didn't you hear their plans to connect them if 1 it flops 2 in a few years after release? Just be patient

#3 when no one is left playing ..

#4 Just open it now and let everyone enjoy whats left of players doing so explore .

#5 Sale the game to a real company that wants change and invest ..

Put the portal idea is no different then having Jackal servers going ...

10 hours ago, Damascus said:

#4 Just open it now and let everyone enjoy whats left of players doing so explore .

#5 Sale the game to a real company that wants change and invest ..

Put the portal idea is no different then having Jackal servers going ...

Atleast jackal would be more fun though

21 hours ago, Damascus said: