Sklo:D

[Released] Distant Rendering for Wurm Unlimited

Distant Rendering for Wurm Unlimited

zL9V547.gif

Our team finally found enough time to implement distant rendering into the Wurm Unlimited client. Therefore, we created a mod that enables distant tree rendering and so implemented a feature that has been requested a lot for the last years.

This mod requires Ago's client modloader that can be downloaded from GitHub: https://github.com/ago1024/WurmClientModLauncher/releases

Simply put this mod into your Wurm Unlimited client mod folder like any other mod. This mod only works on servers that are using the server side mod that improves the distant terrain generation.

Server side mod: (for server admins)

The server side mod can be found at the following URL: https://gitlab.com/Dominikk/wu-sklotopolis-distantrendering-server/-/releases

Requires Ago's server modloader from GitHub: https://github.com/ago1024/WurmServerModLauncher/releases

Client side mod: (for every player)

The client side mod can be found at the following URL: https://gitlab.com/Dominikk/wu-sklotopolis-client-distantrendering-pub/-/releases

Please report any found problems as a GitLab issue, we will look into them. In case you find any problem please include as many details as possible and screenshots of the problem.

You are using these mods at your own risk!

You can use the command:

render_distance <Number of tiles>

in the console that can be opened by pressing the F1 key.

This number can be changed on runtime and does not need a restart of the game.

You also can set this number by typing the following command into the autorun.txt of the game config you are using: render_distance 400 (This will set your render distance to 400 on login and ignore the value in the properties file) The autorun.txt file is located at the following Windows directory: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Wurm Unlimited\WurmLauncher\PlayerFiles\configs\default

The last word in our case default is the name of the config you are using, you can change this config in the Settings of your Wurm Launcher. (Before you join a server)

Known Issues and Limitations:

• The mod currently only works on servers that use the server side mod that improves distant terrain generation.
  • If you crash with an OutOfMemory error either perform the OPTIONAL part below or reduce the render distance to like 400 or 500 in the properties file of the client mod.
  • Every 125 tiles of movement there is a small lag spike on the client because the render origin is changed to shrink the vertices.
  • Performance is good but not perfect small lag spikes can happen, I am testing with a Gefore GTX 1050Ti from 2017, getting around 50 FPS. Reduce the rendering range in the properties file if your FPS drop too low.
  • This mod will not run on the old potatoe you bought as a PC 10 years ago :)

(OPTIONAL) If you want to render really far

This step is optional and solves a potential out of memory error. It only works on pretty decent hardware.
Navigate to the root directory of the Wurm Unlimited Client (wurmlauncher) and check if you have the file "LaunchConfig.ini".
Edit or create it and enter the following details:

[Memory]  
InitialHeap=512m  
MaxHeapSize=8192m

Screenshots

68747470733a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f

8Jqaxru.png

Edited by Sklo:D
  • Like 26

Only allowed one heart reaction, unfortunately.

Very nice work.

Edited by TheTrickster

Hey great job... I got this working on a standalone server, but have tried it on a non-login server in a cluster and it doesn't work. It will be enabled on the login server at the daily restart... is that going to make a difference? Does it need to be enabled on a login server to work on a non-login server?

3 hours ago, Kiama said:

Hey great job... I got this working on a standalone server, but have tried it on a non-login server in a cluster and it doesn't work. It will be enabled on the login server at the daily restart... is that going to make a difference? Does it need to be enabled on a login server to work on a non-login server?

We have been using it on the 4 Sklotopolis servers for a week. Just install it on every server and restart them.

Make sure that the server mod is installed on the server and the client mod is installed on the clients.

There is no difference between login and non-login servers. The mod is also really small so it should be quite simple.

Added another detail:

• If you crash with an OutOfMemory error either perform the OPTIONAL part or reduce the render distance to like 400 or 500 in the properties file of the client mod.

3 hours ago, Sklo:D said:

We have been using it on the 4 Sklotopolis servers for a week. Just install it on every server and restart them.

Make sure that the server mod is installed on the server and the client mod is installed on the clients.

There is no difference between login and non-login servers. The mod is also really small so it should be quite simple.

It is working fine on the login server but still doesn't appear to be working on the other server I have tested it on... I don't know what is going on but it isn't a big deal. The login server has way more trees than the others so it was great to see it working there.

3 minutes ago, Kiama said:

It is working fine on the login server but still doesn't appear to be working on the other server I have tested it on... I don't know what is going on but it isn't a big deal. The login server has way more trees than the others so it was great to see it working there.

There need to be at least 50 trees in a 16x16 area otherwise it will not show as forest

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sklo:D said:

There need to be at least 50 trees in a 16x16 area otherwise it will not show as forest

Ah that's probably it then, thanks. Again, great job.

OLD GPU test
AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (3.2ghz)
16.0GB Ram
Windows 10
Nvidia 9600GT OC 512MB  (Yes that is from 2008)

Disabled = ~58FPS
At 350 distance  = ~45FPS
At 500 distance  = ~20FPS
Tested while standing still, looking over a river at trees across the water.

Snow/rain gives me a bigger FPS impact than the 350 distance setting.

• Like 1
  • Cat 1

21 hours ago, Sklo:D said:

Version 1.1-RELEASE

New version available:

https://gitlab.com/Dominikk/wu-sklotopolis-client-distantrendering-pub/-/releases/1.1-RELEASE

• Added a command to change render distance on runtime - Open Console with F1 and type render_distance <Number of tiles>
  • Small improvements to the code base

One of the uses of the console command is to have custom distances set per character. My default is 350 which I override to 500 for the main.
Edit the .....\steamapps\common\Wurm Unlimited\WurmLauncher\PlayerFiles\players\<char name>\autorun.txt and add the 
render_distance <distance> to it.

You can also set the config group by editing the autorun of it.
......\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Wurm Unlimited\WurmLauncher\PlayerFiles\configs\<config group\
autorun.txt

Edited by axeblade346

the kind of QoL changes the entire community deserves, thank you,

On 9/9/2021 at 7:30 PM, kaidley said:

the kind of QoL changes the entire community deserves, thank you,

You're welcome, glad you love the mod.

Is there some way to display distant trees with a lower density than is currently needed? This mod looks great when a server has a huge number of trees. But with servers that have lower tree density it is weak.

5 hours ago, Reddtoo said:

Is there some way to display distant trees with a lower density than is currently needed? This mod looks great when a server has a huge number of trees. But with servers that have lower tree density it is weak.

Does the server have the server side distant tree rendering mod? This one is required. If you do not see trees in cells then the server does not send the correct tile type for the cell. Nothing you can do client side against that.

Lower densities can be adjusted in the server side mod. (But that should not be needed)

16 hours ago, Sklo:D said:

Does the server have the server side distant tree rendering mod? This one is required. If you do not see trees in cells then the server does not send the correct tile type for the cell. Nothing you can do client side against that.

Lower densities can be adjusted in the server side mod. (But that should not be needed)

Trees in cells? Do you mean all the same type of tree? For instance if an area has pines and walnuts mixed together the server can't determine what tree type to tell the client to display? We mixed them up below a certain altitude. The higher altitude trees are all cedar and they show up very well even off in the very extreme distance.

On a side note, even at 1000 tiles I get 50+fps. That surprised me in a good way. 

Edited by Reddtoo

10 hours ago, Reddtoo said:

Trees in cells? Do you mean all the same type of tree? For instance if an area has pines and walnuts mixed together the server can't determine what tree type to tell the client to display? We mixed them up below a certain altitude. The higher altitude trees are all cedar and they show up very well even off in the very extreme distance.

On a side note, even at 1000 tiles I get 50+fps. That surprised me in a good way. 

Wurm distant terrain is delivered in cells of 16x16. And there can only be one terrain type per cell, that is why roads vanish in the distant because these cells have some tree type or grass most common.

You need a server side mod to calculate the tree type in distant cells correctly. As specified in the README file this mod only works properly if the server has the distant rendering server mod installed, otherwise you need an unnatural amount of trees in a cell to have it render distant trees. And since most cells have natural vegetation this will not work for many cells without the server side mod.

Yes I fully understand the server side needs. Did that from the start. I just didn't know the limitations regarding mixed terrain. The screen shots above make it appear more forgiving. Thanks for making this. It's better than vanilla. 

Perhaps it would have been better to allow server admin to decide cell size. Instead of a constant 16 let them enter a value from 2 to 16. Not everyone has an abacus for a computer. 

BTW, you might want to add something to the readme about the limitations regarding cells. 

Here's what it looks like:

There's lots and lots of trees between the horse and the forests in the distance. Unfortunately with the 16 cell limit you'll never see them. 😐

Edited by Reddtoo

8 hours ago, Reddtoo said:

Yes I fully understand the server side needs. Did that from the start. I just didn't know the limitations regarding mixed terrain. The screen shots above make it appear more forgiving. Thanks for making this. It's better than vanilla. 

Perhaps it would have been better to allow server admin to decide cell size. Instead of a constant 16 let them enter a value from 2 to 16. Not everyone has an abacus for a computer. 

BTW, you might want to add something to the readme about the limitations regarding cells. 

Here's what it looks like:

There's lots and lots of trees between the horse and the forests in the distance. Unfortunately with the 16 cell limit you'll never see them. 😐

Sadly this is a limitation of Wurm which we cannot really change.

Over time the trees will grow to forests :)

• Like 1

Yeah. I turned tree spread up as high as it can go so they fill in faster. 

• Like 1

For me the most annoying thing when using this is how many attempts it takes to get into the game once I have the mod enabled. Sometimes it takes ten or more attempts. Start the game, get the launch window, click on connect, get the splash screen then nothing. I click on stop and the 'Wurm client is not responding' message pops up. Doesn't matter what render distance I have the mod set to either in game or out of game. However...to people who are already on the server they see me log on to the server. Except for that annoying and off putting problem it's a nice mod.  

Oh forgot, lanuch config.ini is set to twice your example and I have 32gig memory and a more than adequate vid card and cpu. Once I get into the game I typically render out to 1k tiles and get a very decent frame rate but getting into the game is a real beyatch.

Edited by TheMacGregor

On 5/3/2022 at 3:13 PM, TheMacGregor said:

For me the most annoying thing when using this is how many attempts it takes to get into the game once I have the mod enabled. Sometimes it takes ten or more attempts. Start the game, get the launch window, click on connect, get the splash screen then nothing. I click on stop and the 'Wurm client is not responding' message pops up. Doesn't matter what render distance I have the mod set to either in game or out of game. However...to people who are already on the server they see me log on to the server. Except for that annoying and off putting problem it's a nice mod.  

Oh forgot, lanuch config.ini is set to twice your example and I have 32gig memory and a more than adequate vid card and cpu. Once I get into the game I typically render out to 1k tiles and get a very decent frame rate but getting into the game is a real beyatch.

Please try if this issue also appears at a render range of 0.