Sign in to follow this  
Darnok

Darnok's travel and exploration suggestions

1 hour ago, Darnok said:

Well, is this a good solution for an MMO?

I'm sorry, was that meant to be rhetorical? Were we supposed to automatically agree with you that this game is unworthy to be played?

What would you actually achieve, by driving every existing player to quit Wurm, and collapsing the Development budget?

Are you trying to devalue this game so that you can afford to buy it outright or something?

No -1. Team function is already good as is! :)

seriously.. install wu or wo and play it for a bit... you'll learn a lot.. some of what you suggest is already implemented, some of it is complete nonsense, you do not play the game.. stop lying and trolling with dumb suggestions

1 hour ago, Darnok said:

After filling the rage bar to 100%, NPC still is using AoE attacks plus gains a special ability and moves faster +10-20%, and the distance he is ready to follow the player should also increase.

There's no 'readiness'  to chase, there's no stamina to chase, there's no distance limitations on normal creatures to stop chasing you, you can take same 1 hound to chase you all over the map.. than you get to tame the hound and make it your puppy, you just had a great day exploring the server together and you weren't even friends before this adventure.

Guess what.. creature conditions and age change stats/exp/ of the creatures - how they behave or how much exp you get.. if you were playing this game .. or you had time to read the wiki before posting nonsense, you'd learn what you suggest is already a mechanic in a different way.

stop trolling

Seeing health of team mates would be good. Extra experience is just asking to be abused.

• Like 2

On 7/10/2021 at 3:56 AM, Darnok said:

If the ships in Wurm are only for decoration, that's fine, but I thought players should make use of them.

They do though? Trade, travel, etc. 

only way to transfer bulk from 1 to another server..

Crew: 1

Capacity: Half of the items that fit in a backpack.

Depth: Any water puddle. In deep waters and high wind speeds boat is unstable and the player has to use up stamina to keep balance. When his stamina drops to zero, the boat capsizes.

Construction: willow wood + leather or hide

Speed: A bit faster than swimming

Special: If it is empty, it can be put on instead of a backpack (weight about 25 kg)

fred-abbot-72-celebrates-his-40th-annive

Edited by Darnok

A coracle would be no material advantage over just swimming.  I can't see that it would get used.

Possibly a currach, would have some use, and being based on hides on framework it would be fundamentally different construction to a rowboat, but again how would it be better than a rowboat?  My objection here is similar to my objection to the other suggestions for new boat types - how is a new type a better approach than making existing types a bit more useful?

1 hour ago, TheTrickster said:

A coracle would be no material advantage over just swimming.  I can't see that it would get used.

Possibly a currach, would have some use, and being based on hides on framework it would be fundamentally different construction to a rowboat, but again how would it be better than a rowboat?  My objection here is similar to my objection to the other suggestions for new boat types - how is a new type a better approach than making existing types a bit more useful?

1st advantage: you can pack this boat like a backpack, get on a horse and carry it across the land, if on the way you have a problem to cross a wide river or lake, drop boat on water, take donkey on lead and go.
2nd advantage: cheap and easy to produce great for new players, if you leave it on deed it is small container.
3rd: Has no permissions, if you drop this boat on the ground, another player can take it, so no problem with abandoned boats by new players.

On 7/11/2021 at 4:53 AM, Sheffie said:

Nobody is forcing the player to remember anything. 

The game already features a map that lets you add annotations. It's also trivially easy to share information with people in your village and you alliance.

I am forced to remember many things that the games usually suggest. I don't understand why deed discovered by me cannot be added to my map automatically? If the problem is that the player would know exactly where he is, then a delay can be made, the lower the cartography skill level, the longer it takes to add deed on the map (at the beginning it may take up to several hours and player does not have to be online during this time).

6 minutes ago, Darnok said:

I am forced to remember many things that the games usually suggest. I don't understand why deed discovered by me cannot be added to my map automatically? If the problem is that the player would know exactly where he is, then a delay can be made, the lower the cartography skill level, the longer it takes to add deed on the map (at the beginning it may take up to several hours and player does not have to be online during this time).

-1. BUT if something similar were to be added, there should be an option on whether or not a player wants their deed to show. Similar to the highway

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Darnok said:

May I ask why you must remember where every deed you find is located?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, brattygirl said:

May I ask why you must remember where every deed you find is located?

Because I like to know if my neighbor is a nice guy or a psychopath with problems who will take away the raw materials I need.

13 minutes ago, Darnok said:

Because I like to know if my neighbor is a nice guy or a psychopath with problems who will take away the raw materials I need.

Huh. I've never had any issues remembering the handful of deeds that surround my deed in local, but even if I did have a memory issue I could easily do a bit of exploring and within an hour have the deed names noted someplace. I'm not sure if I can relate to your situation (although methinks you may not have been completely truthful in your comment).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Darnok said:

Ok but how many neighbors do you think you will have? Maybe 2 or 3. That would not be hard to mark off on your map. And I mean if they are your neighbor it wouldn't be hard to remember where they are.... Also what are you talking about with someone taking the resources you need? Are resources really that rare on NFI? You have mentioned this before, the issues with resource allocation that is. I don't believe I have ever encountered issues with finding resources. Besides maybe when GV was the free to play server and it was super small and packed.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Darnok said:

I mean if those resources are off deed they are free for anyone to take. 

If anything, just improve rafts, make them useable as a 1 crew boat and make them serve the same purpose. 

• Like 2

okay, here are the "material advantages over swimming" that you propose.  Thy are nonsense.

12 hours ago, Darnok said:

1st advantage: you can pack this boat like a backpack, get on a horse and carry it across the land, if on the way you have a problem to cross a wide river or lake, drop boat on water, take donkey on lead and go.

Instead of swimming, which is just an action you do and requires no gear at all you would have something that you have to carry in some fashion .  The mechanism is more complicated than swimming and you must carry around more weight (25kg)  than just swimming.  That is a disadvantage.

2nd advantage: cheap and easy to produce great for new players, if you leave it on deed it is small container.

Swimming does not require you to produce anything.  If I need a small container - at capacity of half a backpack - there are already plenty of better options.  Having to produce something versus having to produce nothing is a disadvantage.

3rd: Has no permissions, if you drop this boat on the ground, another player can take it, so no problem with abandoned boats by new players.

Swimming has no permissions and there is nothing to drop on the ground.  Nothing to put down only to find later that someone already "cleaned it up".  No permissions is neutral at best.

Possibly you meant advantages over a rowboat.  In that case your points the second and third don't apply (rowboats are cheap and easy to produce, can function as containers and can be permission-free) so there is only the "advantage" of carrying a 25kg object in place of your backpack, but it only has half the capacity of a backpack.  So you can cross lakes and rivers/canals.  Such bodies of water that could not merely be swum across are few and far between,  So few that, as I said, I can't see that this would be used.  

There is also the fact that the storage capacity is so laughably low that this could only ever be considered personal transport.  Speed is "a bit faster than swimming" but in deep water it uses stamina even just sitting stationary , and then you wind up swimming anyway - but I guess also dragging capsized coracle. drowning because you have zero stamina.  (Thanks Drayka).  So, right at the moment that you really need something like a boat, this boat dumps you in the water to die.

I cannot see that even a complete newb would be foolish enough to make and use something like this.

Edited by TheTrickster
drowning.

5 minutes ago, TheTrickster said:

There is also the fact that the storage capacity is so laughably low that this could only ever be considered personal transport.  Speed is "a bit faster than swimming" but in deep water it uses stamina even just sitting stationary , and then you wind up swimming anyway - but I guess also dragging capsized coracle.

You forgot to mention drowning, as you start drowning at 0 stamina.

• Like 1

@Darnokwhy do you keep suggesting things that go above and beyond the call of balance between balance and imbalance, to kill newbies? All that would happen is that people would write a guide or do a video for new players stating "Never make this. If you see one lying around, don't pick it up, keep walking."

How is that a good use of the development team's time? Adding features that will be actively avoided?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Darnok said:

... ... ....... 😑

14 hours ago, Gawain said:

I mean if those resources are off deed they are free for anyone to take. 

Hehe sure they are, until I want to spend a few days leveling up woodcutting and cut 1/3 of the trees beyond deeds on the whole map.

15 hours ago, brattygirl said:

Ok but how many neighbors do you think you will have? Maybe 2 or 3. That would not be hard to mark off on your map. And I mean if they are your neighbor it wouldn't be hard to remember where they are.... Also what are you talking about with someone taking the resources you need? Are resources really that rare on NFI? You have mentioned this before, the issues with resource allocation that is. I don't believe I have ever encountered issues with finding resources. Besides maybe when GV was the free to play server and it was super small and packed.

I am a hunter, so my neighbors are...

tenor.gif

And to be serious, if someone is looking for raw materials and does not notice your deed, they can mine tunnel 10 tiles on your entrance or cut trees nearby, I know that what is beyond deed is for everyone, but it's rather not polite behavior.