Sign in to follow this  
Ekcin

Recent performance issues in SFI

During and short after the dragon slaying on Deliverance, extreme performance issues unfolded on that server. They lasted over an hour after the slaying and resulted in synchronization failures, even if not moving. I took me well 30 minutes to get my cart, horses, and passengers boarded on Deli south coast. On my return to Xanadu I immediately lost sync after raising anchor and heading home, being unable to moor. I finally ran the ship into Stillwater island's west coast at U14 (803, 2038), and waited for "Refreshing ..) to cease.

Granted, the number of participants, 331 in local and 347 or so on the server, was extraordinary for Deliverance. Yet I recall several public events on Xanadu and other servers with similar, even higher participation, sure with some lag here and then, but never that extreme. Is there any explanation about what went wrong?

• Like 3

In addition: https://deliverance.game.wurmonline.com/mrtg/lag.html

3VGvPgo.png

shows a lag buildup around 19:30 CEST (UTC+2) already, then again from slaying time 21:00 CEST for more than one hour, with spikes of 79 seconds.

Edit: Mrtg is obviously underreporting the issues, at least from the users' and client-server synchronity perspective. I experienced uninterrupted "Refreshing .." for more than 5 minutes several times. 

Edited by Ekcin

puke. hope what ever is going on here gets solved.

then again it could be a fluke, looks like just the one incident in months.....

Edited by Tomatoes

Something similar happened at the last dragon slaying I went to. You have over 150 people all targeting one thing at a time and then over 150 people getting 2 things put into there inventory at the same time instantly. Yesterday was probably the worst case I've seen personally. I doubt that it was coincidence lol, cant load up a server thats used to have 30 people and then add 10x that amount essentially all at the same time and not expect issues. 

Its not only when lots of people are around - I just had a very long instance of lag with endless refreshing so I had to relog with only 3 people in local.

Well, I was in slaying on Desertion when everything lagged when there was like maybe 20 people in local.

It wasn't nearly as bad as you described but shows that currently game  have big difficulties with more players at one place.

I had a ride for ~20 min which caused loss of any controls to disembark, chat message lag was with around 7 minute delay.

Relogging lead to several minutes of this screen:

523c9ff44ada9e3205e1bcaac8e2598e.jpg

Visiting Deli with all your friends/alts 0/10, would not recommend.

• Like 1

Yuck, Yuck, Yuck. What ever is going on here i hope it gets fixed. RL disconnects me regularly, having it happen to my Wurm Life is a blow hard beyond belief.

[15:36:34] You failed to respond in time. Disconnecting.

This was my error while walking to the southern coast of Deli after the event. Total shut down of the client.

It might be worth saying that apparent reduction of the max in each of the spikes in the historic MRTG graphs is simply down to how the reporting, and the underlying 'round robin' database (RRDtool) has been configured. You will see in the titles of each graph that is described as the average over a certain time period, with the max/min being of those averages.

It is possible to configure MRTG, and its RRD, to collect, store, and report a true max. value for each time period as well as just the averages (and the max/min of those averages), BUT would have needed to be done in the original configuration.

I remember this happening when there was like, 30 people in local. 

How time flies

What Finn shows happened to me (my alts) as well as I had logged them out when they were unable to disembark from the cart, and tried to relog. At that time and at that point there was nobody else in local. It was the whole server that lagged extremely.