Sign in to follow this  
Cipacadrinho

Possibilities for exploration update

Noone knows what they are going to do with it so let's nerd out a little bit :)

Will they add goblin/trolls villages? And when we go and neutralize them get what as a reward?

Butchering these special mobs would give special bone fragments  and once we get like 100 of these bone fragments  can combine with a special item that could drop from an archeology cache or someting to create a rare bone?

Maybe they would have an altar to their own god in the camp that we could bash and get some fragments of it that can then be used to make a rune that adds a 2nd slot rune to an item when attached?

Maybe the players could go to that new troll/goblin god altar before bashing it and choose to sacrifice one of their affinities to get a 15%xp buff for a limited time (could use the code from the special event things on individual toons to grant it?) and have a decent cooldown so people dont just spam sac their affinities to ride the buff since it will be a general one. Like 24h buff of 15% xp with a 30day cd and an affinity sac?

Will it be more actual exploration centric and allow us to make maps?

What would be perks of having a map of the server in your inventory be? 5% more wind speed and ride speed? sort of a buff called Not Lost:)

Should we get a maps folder thingy similar to the arch and the seasons one? Should having that map at high ql show your position on it?

Maybe have the map point out or remember location of birds nests (just rename the wild beehives into birds nests and make it a diff art). And from those birds nests we could get special eggs and feathers we could use to cook or augment our armor?

Could the maps be for overgroud and underground too? And have a map of your deed mine so you know where the veins are and not look for the tin for 2 hours?:) Maybe depending on prospecting skill be able to have the map extend to the outer bounds of your own deed and provided you discover the veins there mark them on the map?

They said they are adding pontoons we can build over water and that they are considering reworking uniques so could we possibly get a Water World style enemy camp that is inhabited by pirate seals and when we raid it we can kill a sea serpent boss at end and actually have him drop someting?

How would pontoon buildings interact with bridges? I presume they will support them no longer needing us to drop dirt to make long bridges?

Maybe we can make a pontoon houses fishery and be able to grind fishing with a new ocean net that would let us grind to like 70fishing? Could we then get to breed sharks and other big fish? Waht traits would they have? Maybe be able to breed a shark that can find the ocean traitor mobs for missions?

Maybe have the whales be able to gather plancton and puke it inside the fishery to feed the fish? Or just make the whales have traits for blubber and meat only? 

How could a hump whale be convinced to hump another hump whale? :) And why? :)

• Like 3

I think they mentioned use for some less used skills, so i guess tracking will be used for something inline with finding uniques or something else. Would be cool to find random locked chests whit loot that you need high lockpicking to acces, it would give some use to lockpicking on pve.

I wouldn't get my hopes for update so high though, but we will see, anyway probably too late for this kind of thread, as input won't be considered...

We dont know that if they really like an ideea i am sure they will use it in a form or another.

Some other rewards could be killing some mobs or solving a puzzle that at the end of it gives you a buff for 24hours that considers all the resources types used for imping by that toon to be 100 ql.

So you could imp 90+ with a 1ql iron lump for instance for a 10ql string of cloth.

Another could be to lose less weight or no weight loss or not have the item have to be in a forge to imp? Imagine being able to sail to a rift or a slaying while imping your small anvil or hammer or weapon.

And since they would be a limited time buff obtained by going off the deed and fighting or solving something then it would not be overpowered. Could also have a cd in place so ppl cant just get buff use it get buff again when it drops which will mean maybe do same encounter but get different rewards at the end of it based on what you have gotten so far?

Maybe be able to get a buff that allows you to create everything at 30ql minimum so ppl can do the sleep bonus missions easier?

But enough about rewards? What should the downsides be? Because downsides provided they are balanced properly could also help incentivise the players to go deal with the problem.

So they should not be bad enough that people will be annoyed they have to go deal with them in order to be able to do what they planned for the day but they should be pesky enough to sort of want to join an expedition against it.

So can't be anything that would impede the ability to imp/cast/fight/gather.

Maybe get someting like: the wind is changing direction and strenght more often (that would annoy everybody) or when the farm tiles or trees roll for progressing their crop stage is like a 5% change they will stagnate instead because theres goblin camp smell in the air?

Maybe have 1% of the oversac of each priest on the server go in as favor for the goblin camp priests and the ritual they are trying to complete?

We know the idea is to have random encounters while exploring and also encourage some lesser used skills so here's what could happen :-

tracking to locate rare creatures such as the invisible crested duck and the Codeclub palm civet.

foraging to find the pungent civet excretions containing the prized coffea arabica beans. The source of these beans being undiscovered by Wurmians this is the only way they can be obtained.

alchemy for extracting and washing the beans.

cooking the beans and milling to grind into a powder

beverages to heat the powder with water and optional extra ingredients such as sugar, herbs and spices.

serve in coffee cup with optional cream from milking to add patterns on the top.

only then we can Drink coffee every day as Noizhead commands

• Like 5

I want the travel and exploration itself to be rewarded somehow - some kind of tick or payoff for travel x number of tiles you haven't been on before (or for some time).  Buffed for unpaved, steep, high altitude etc; nerfed for water > some depth and for highways.

I don't mean based on "investigating" a bunch of tiles, but by going places and poking around actually investigating.  Even something similar to WU treasure chests (but more with clues or even better a mudmap than with a divination style direction finder).

Archeology is okay, but it is still a case of activate implement>select item> click> watch timer>repeat.  Make the reward for actually going somewhere and looking at new things. (You never know, something like that might even make Wurm a bit more VR interface friendly  😉)

Now - for some brainstorm suff:

Encounters that aren't totally random, but are themselves moving around the map.  Mobile NPCs are a bit of a nono in Wurm, but a travelling band of characters that are only in one place for a time and then move on, that require interaction, could be good.  They might be a group of crafters who can provide significant training in some skill, as long as you practice it on-site in their presence.  (At that, "mobile" is not even necessary, just have them respawn elsewhere from time to time, leaving behind signs of their campsite).   Once per character per campsite - and maybe make it smart enough to offer you a choice of improving one of your couple of weakest skills.  I would rather "you hear singing [direction] [distance]" than "you hear bees".

A new type of tree - with only ONE specimen in the wild, and drip feed rumours about its whereabouts.  The fruit has some hugely beneficial properties (e.g. works like a 99ql full house pizza, with an affinity of your choice, doesn't decay etc) but only allows each unique character ONE fruit from its given location (because, you know, it's so potent that you couldn't handle another).  Has a finite number of fruits and when the last is picked,  the tree withers (and gives the that last picker a small 99ql rare log or something)

Artifacts and antiques - similar to the tree, but with weapons, tools, items etc.  Top quality and always at least rare - but can not be repaired or improved (because, you know, made with a now-lost art).  Have only a couple "in the wild" per server at a time, and once one is found, then begin rolling for a fresh one on that server. 

Have the spawn for these things weighted heavily towards less travelled areas. Instead of just getting recipes from humanoids, get notes about rumours or something like that.  The longer the site remains undiscovered the more rumours proliferate, until the site moves.  Have the rumours give some indication of their age when you examine or read them.  For a site, which should be visually distinctive, also have a few other items in the general area to prompt curiosity.  Maybe give them guardians of some sort.  The whole thing could be an accidental "stumble across" happenstance or a major co-operative quest.

I have obviously read too much fantasy in my time. 

Edited by TheTrickster
  • Like 2

Not that I think anyone developing WO will read any of this, or do anything with it if they do read it.

Edited by TheTrickster
not "from"

How about capes? We could get some as a reward for an exploration event/fight/thingy maybe?

And the capes could be used to bandage own wounds and have them regen like the king regalia but maybe not be able to use it to heal someone else other than the owner itself?

Hopefully we'll get some new islands with resources and seasonal animals that I proposed about a year ago.

Falconer and the beast 🙂

Bandit camps.

Dragon hunting & crystals.

Cartography and creating maps similar to my idea.

And some "Tactical redesign..." for PvE.

Edited by Darnok

Hopefully this time it will be tested and we won't have to wait for a fix 4 months later in 2022 until it works. Call me skeptical, but at this point I want to see good quality content and not just pushing out content because the schedule has been effed. 

But yeah, I do hope it actually motivates people to really explore and ride around the map instead of automating the same skill on the same 50 tiles (like archeology). 

On 8/29/2021 at 4:35 AM, Cipacadrinho said:

Will they add goblin/trolls villages? And when we go and neutralize them get what as a reward?

Personally I would love to see some NPC villages. Whether it be goblin & trolls or even just like wurmian npc's. Would be cool to have quests in the game that these characters can give you. Whether for little bits of coin, Sleep powder, or maybe some cool tools / other items.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, brattygirl said:

Personally I would love to see some NPC villages. Whether it be goblin & trolls or even just like wurmian npc's. Would be cool to have quests in the game that these characters can give you. Whether for little bits of coin, Sleep powder, or maybe some cool tools / other items.

More ways for players to earn coin in-game is a definite need!  
"[17:22:11] <Evgesha> I really like the game but it's very hard to earn money here"