Sign in to follow this  
Sheffie

Revise decay for bulk storage

Current system:

On a deed with 30 days upkeep, items in bulk storage do not decay.

Otherwise, items in bulk storage lose ~5% of their quantity every 30 days.

Proposal:

In a container of equal or greater effective quality, items in bulk storage do not decay.

Higher quality items take damage (meaning a reduction in quality rather than quantity) which is proportional to the difference in quality between item and container, and scaled up significantly if not on a deed with 30 days upkeep.

Remarks

• This provides a market for skilled carpenters to provide high quality bulk containers, while still allowing self-sufficient players and less experienced players the opportunity to preserve their own goods (your 20ql logs are fine in your 20ql crate).
  • This also gets rid of the annoying decay that you see when you log out on a cart away from home, and your plank is now 1.99kg and useless.
  • A quality off deed container will tend to preserve its contents very well, until it begins to decay itself (which is unchanged). An explorer discovering an abandoned deed, who under current rules will find a BSB with a small amount of high quality iron, would find a larger amount of lower quality iron. (The metal becomes rustier, rather than shrinking away while still gleaming.)

I actually think this would be a great way to make container quality meaningful both on and off deed. I am sure many would be upset by such a change and so it probably shouldn't be implemented like that but I do like it.

Ah missed this part: "and scaled up significantly if not on a deed with 30 days upkeep", so yeah I guess you meant it to be implemented both on and off deed too. Yeah that works for me.

Edited by Kiama

I'm gonna say no. don't see the need for this. I like finding high ql bulks on abandoned deeds, even if it's a small amount. those mats are good for imping, while your proposal would just add to my inventory of lower ql mats

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DaletheGood said:

I'm gonna say no. don't see the need for this. I like finding high ql bulks on abandoned deeds, even if it's a small amount. those mats are good for imping, while your proposal would just add to my inventory of lower ql mats

I have to agree quality is harder to get than quantity.

Edited by Katrat

If this applies on deed it is a huge nerf to 95+ql materials due to the large amount of time required to imp containers that high, would suck quite a bit for high ql farming products, or stone/marble and very much so for crates of logs.

Edited by Lethyria

I think there is an option for player agency here that might be overlooked.

Linking the decay behaviour of bulk storage to the material of the container.

If archaeology wood were available in plank form, making this the behaviour of bulk containers made from such woods would make lower level archaeology more useful, do all of the good things listed by the OP, and keep the "status quo" folks happy.

I'd say keep it offdeed only, because we used to have decay ondeed and nobody liked that.

-1 Creates additional chores if applying on deed. Off deed it reduces the chances to get good stuff in more remote abandoned places.

Additionally: Existing decay/loss mechanic is interesting as it does quantity reductions on a number of materials (esp animal parts) which are stoppers for losing enchanted combined stuff e.g. for NS grind. Recently, I fail to see another way to get underweight tails, paws etc. other than on that way (heart and eye may be reduced by aborted eating).

Edited by Ekcin

-1 nonono, i would have to quit my rl job to imp all my storage containers.

Edited by Stinboi
  • Like 2