Sign in to follow this  
Tomatoes

What Wurm is about

Wurm advertises itself as "The Ultimate Sandbox MMORPG", and has Explore, Build, and Survive on its home page. It has over 130 skills, free and subscription style accounts, and is player driven. Lets break this down into easily understandable chunks:

1. Survive - our avatars require food, water, shelter, tools and gear. the environment is dangerous.
  2. Build -  we get to choose how and what our shelter looks like, within what the environment allows.
  3. Explore - There are beautiful landscapes, and resources available all over the place.
  4. MMORPG - Allows for each person playing to be an individual, and make his or her own choices as to what to do in game, and who to be to the rest of the community
  5. Sandbox - Nothing is permanent unless you are there to keep up repairs.

Funny thing - Wurm is analogous to Real Life: ALL FIVE OF THOSE ARE PART OF LIFE. 

Why do i bring up Real Life? Because Real Life is about the Experience. Everyone is an individual. that makes nearly 8 billion humans all individuals, some with WILDLY different experiences to what you or I have. 

Wurm is THE SAME! the game is about YOUR EXPERIENCE playing it. 

I know what some of you are thinking -----

BuT iTs A sAnDbOx GaMe...... That is why we pay for deeds and Deed upkeep, and why DECAY exists.
or ----
bUt wE pAy tO pLaY.... Not every one will get enjoyment from the game, that's the nature of individuality. as individuals we HAVE to assume that each of us WANT to be in real life(suicide is a thing after all), but when it comes to a game we cannot assume that. that is why we pay for a subscription, to prove to the game we want to be here.

its not pay to win - if it were we would be able to purchase anything and everything that has ever been in game.

Wurm has a mechanics system that lets you 'experience' what real life might be like in a fantasy middle ages setting, without having to actually do the actions physically. Combat, exploration, creation, destruction, the only thing we provide to wurm is the community. 

So, why did i type this out? because Wurm depends on its community to survive.....without us playing the game, it would not be here. and that gives us a measure of control over the game as well, we can make suggestions, help improve the game, and help promote the game so more people try it, and possibly enjoy it. 

Us Wurmians are a special breed of gamer - we use all of our being when playing this game: Imagination, Emotion, reason, and logic. every bit is necessary to live life as an individual, and using them in a game is an experience that tops EVERYTHING else. 

Some of you may wonder why im even posting this at all - its because some of us(yes I'm including myself here, cause i have been guilty of it as well) in the community need to get our heads out of our butts and stop attacking each other, and then the whole community group together to start figuring out what we can do to help get wurm back on its feet. We are the cause of SO many issues it is unreal. Our Bickering and Fighting is what is causing the population decline....and that is because the game is PLAYER DRIVEN.

Humans can help ANYTHING survive! We have done so for other humans for several Millennium, we have started helping other species survive, and have even brought some back from the brink of extinction.  

We are MORE then capable of helping a game survive - keeping a game alive is easier then bringing back a species from extinction - Don't the rest of you think it is about time we as a community collectively asked 'How can we help?' Besides 'shutting up', because without communication, we wont survive.

TL;DR Wurm is about the experience, lets start making it a better one.

• Like 7

I think we need new woodscrap section for whatever this post classifies as, it's like a sentence with "sky is blue, violets are .." but the start and end are missing and whole point and TL;DR are nowhere to be found, this resembles micro blog post with sentences saying nothing, reading through them leading nowhere, "information" with no value.

It's cool that you feel in a certain way, maybe you want to be a blog or news writer.. but get to the point from the start, make introductions shorter, you're losing credibility for reading fast.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Finnn said:

I think we need new woodscrap section for whatever this post classifies as, it's like a sentence with "sky is blue, violets are .." but the start and end are missing and whole point and TL;DR are nowhere to be found, this resembles micro blog post with sentences saying nothing, reading through them leading nowhere, "information" with no value.

If you are going to criticize someone without giving positive feedback, why open your mouth at all? your criticism is all negative and isn't helpful. Basically you are judging me on how i communicate, without explaining what you are missing. 

I'm sorry you missed the message. Care to actually ask questions to understand what I said? I am MORE then willing to explain. all you have to do is Ask.

51 minutes ago, Tomatoes said:

Some of you may wonder why im even posting this at all - its because some of us(yes I'm including myself here, cause i have been guilty of it as well) in the community need to get our heads out of our butts and stop attacking each other, and then the whole community group together to start figuring out what we can do to help get wurm back on its feet. We are the cause of SO many issues it is unreal. Our Bickering and Fighting is what is causing the population decline....and that is because the game is PLAYER DRIVEN.

Instead of Wurm you can put any other mmorpg game name.

Just now, Wilczan said:

Instead of Wurm you can put any other mmorpg game name.

True, very true.

However, a lot of other MMORPG's have a 'class' system. Wurm does not. Wurm lets an individual be an individual.

8 minutes ago, Finnn said:

It's cool that you feel in a certain way, maybe you want to be a blog or news writer.. but get to the point from the start, make introductions shorter, you're losing credibility for reading fast.

1 possible translation: What it takes to make any MMO game flourish, are the RL social skills the players bring to/refine/develop in the game. How we behave towards others, is ultimately more powerful than anything developers can code, as to whether a game succeeds or fails.

Worry less about your own cares and of what developers can do to improve a game for you, and instead focus on what you can do in your own strength to help others to survive and thrive.

For kindness/mercy is held to be the most laudable trait of human nature, just as harsh acts repaid with even harsher acts are held to be the least laudable of the human spirit.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Tomatoes said:

If you are going to criticize someone without giving positive feedback, why open your mouth at all? your criticism is all negative and isn't helpful. Basically you are judging me on how i communicate, without explaining what you are missing. 

I'm sorry you missed the message. Care to actually ask questions to understand what I said? I am MORE then willing to explain. all you have to do is Ask.

Babies cry when they don't understand something. Adults often have their own unique way of communicating incomprehension. Both can cause the person who is witnessing their reaction to feel extremely stressed and experience all sorts of complex, negative emotions. But a mere thunderclap can also provoke extreme stress in sensitive individuals, and that certainly was not its intent.

Fear not the thunder; even clouds 'need to' express their reaction to turbulent conditions by earthing on something. Yet no lightning-strike can happen without lightning reaching up from the ground as well as down from the clouds. ... Yeah, I know: #Whatdoesthatevenmean

You can never stop all humans from expressing things that can trigger negative emotions in you, but you can always work to defuse your own triggers, with the support of friends. #Shitpostingftw

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tomatoes said:

ok and?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Votip said:

ok and?

And: Who in your life can you discover that you have been overlooking up until now, that you could genuinely spare the time and energy to make feel - just for a moment - truly grateful that people like you exist in the world?

I only know one thing about wurm that its the best game 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Tomatoes said:

Wurm advertises itself as "The Ultimate Sandbox MMORPG", and has Explore, Build, and Survive on its home page. It has over 130 skills, free and subscription style accounts, and is player driven. Lets break this down into easily understandable chunks:

1. Survive - our avatars require food, water, shelter, tools and gear. the environment is dangerous.

Not really, characters needs it, but without food and water, they don't die.
Where is this dangerous environment? Most players play PvE-medieval-sim-builder where they mainly build roads and castles, while they are not in danger.

its not pay to win - if it were we would be able to purchase anything and everything that has ever been in game.

Not exactly, non-p2w game is where paying and non-paying players can achieve same result.

The subscription model is fine, but there are some elements that force you to spend money unfortunately because there is no alternative solution.

Humans can help ANYTHING survive! We have done so for other humans for several Millennium, we have started helping other species survive, and have even brought some back from the brink of extinction.  

Not really, the Neanderthals died out because they couldn't adapt, if there is a group of players in Wurm who cannot adapt to the world around them and change their playstyle to ensure the game and this group survival option, then it is lost.

Nice and +1 🙂

Edited by Darnok

6 hours ago, Tomatoes said:

Our Bickering and Fighting is what is causing the population decline....and that is because the game is PLAYER DRIVEN..

Look at the negative reviews on steam, and count how many credit the game and moderation for their issues.

You're wrong in just about every way lmfao

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jore said:

Look at the negative reviews on steam, and count how many credit the game and moderation for their issues.

You're wrong in just about every way lmfao

Either that, or you're looking at it upside down.

Okay, (short-version) true story. I once spent a dinner seated next to a small business owner of my parents' acquaintance, and she spent nearly the entire time complaining about her thieving staff and how she always had to keep double-checking everything they did and couldn't trust them with anything. Later, I asked my dad what was really going on with her. He said "People who expect thieves, get thieves".

If, equally, you have issues with authority figures, and you expect to have further issues with authority figures, you leave no room in your life for any other interpretation of events, and you will force proof that justifies your perspective into being, even if you have to distort the facts heavily to fit your world-view.

It's horribly easy to allow the demonization of an absent individual or group to arise and grow in your presence, simply because you are not the one being attacked. Everyone needs to vent now and then - to make irrational and distorted statements to displace blame under stress - but when people start taking such statements as accurate versions of reality, you are looking at the true, bastard seeds of bigotry and hatred, in their blatantly-illegitimate origins.

Those negative reviews are the witness statements of those who feel wronged on some level, but such statements are unavoidably biased. Allow for that; bear witness to their pains and frustrations and be supportive. But not to the extent or goal of seeking to victimise another person or persons. Accept that there are no real bullies, only differently-flawed people struggling to communicate, who all need better (sometimes extremely intensive and restrictive) support to do so.

'Kindness' isn't about being saccharine and politely shallow; its about personally aspiring to be more genuine, more fair and more just in ones behaviour towards others, than the mere law mandates or leads by the example of. At the end of the day, we are all human, and thus inescapably stuck in the same boat for better or worse. Sometimes, getting angry is a part of that process, but equally, a fever is part of having the flu - it's function is as a phase/symptom of a process of healing, not a universally desirable state-of-being to aspire to.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Darnok said:

Where is this dangerous environment? Most players play PvE-medieval-sim-builder where they mainly build roads and castles, while they are not in danger.

without water in game you end up walking slow, without food your skill gains diminish in size. 
as for it being dangerous, when our avatars die death, we lose skills.

Not exactly, non-p2w game is where paying and non-paying players can achieve same result.

The subscription model is fine, but there are some elements that force you to spend money unfortunately because there is no alternative solution.

Wurm still has to pay for its server hosting and such. and the fact of the matter is, A Subscription for Wurm is more(and close to double) what other MMO's do. most other MMO's workout to about $15usd/month to play. my $20usd/2months is more then reasonable.

Not really, the Neanderthals died out because they couldn't adapt, if there is a group of players in Wurm who cannot adapt to the world around them and change their playstyle to ensure the game and this group survival option, then it is lost.

We evolved form Neanderthals, so you could say they adapted by turning into us. All it takes is patience and understanding.

Edited by Tomatoes
grammar police

42 minutes ago, Tomatoes said:
5 hours ago, Darnok said:

without water in game you end up walking slow, without food your skill gains diminish in size. 
as for it being dangerous, when our avatars die death, we lose skills.

This would possibly explain why you make so many extreme suggestions,@Darnok. Do you find Wurm (PvE) incapable of triggering any visceral reaction to danger in you? With the exception of arachnophobia and vertigo, I certainly experienced that. It wasn't until I put myself in the situation of being hunted by an enemy player, that I truly experienced rational fight-or-flight for maybe the first time in my life.

37 minutes ago, Drayka said:

This would possibly explain why you make so many extreme suggestions,@Darnok. Do you find Wurm (PvE) incapable of triggering any visceral reaction to danger in you? With the exception of arachnophobia and vertigo, I certainly experienced that. It wasn't until I put myself in the situation of being hunted by an enemy player, that I truly experienced rational fight-or-flight for maybe the first time in my life.

Same for me. Everyone needs a challenge, why not come join us on PvP for a while, see if it takes your fancy?

All I know is that you've got to be an early bird to get it.

• Like 1
  • Cat 1

Well I see the inmates have taken over the asylum at this point.

• Like 1
  • Cat 1

For those that struggle to please TL;DR posters:

Watch some Beat Saber Expert Plus videos on YouTube.

Now imagine someone who can do that, and STILL comment-back to twitch comments scrolling by, trying to read your post.

Those of us who grew up with our nose in books, write very differently to those who grew up playing 'Nintendo-style' games.

It leads to a very different sets of values for worthwhile content.

Both writing styles can be levelled to jaw-dropping impressive, and be seen by the other as inaccessible.

1 hour ago, Blackbeard said:

Wurm is about Online

Online would be inclusive of everyone ELSE who is there as well.

21 minutes ago, zethreal said:

All I know is that you've got to be an early bird to get it.

The early bird may get the wurm, but the late rising wurm stays alive.

2 minutes ago, Demonix said:

Well I see the inmates have taken over the asylum at this point.

that would require this to be a place of confinement, which it is not, Anyone is free to leave at any time. I however will stay.

Oh, I thought wurm was a tear harvesting operation...

I mean, it's practically a salt mine!

1 minute ago, Etherdrifter said:

Oh, I thought wurm was a tear harvesting operation...

I mean, it's practically a salt mine!

Ya people are salty, that has never been an issue, but it was never designed to cause you to tear up. I am so sorry you are hurt. 

14 hours ago, Drayka said:

1 possible translation: What it takes to make any MMO game flourish, are the RL social skills the players bring to/refine/develop in the game. How we behave towards others, is ultimately more powerful than anything developers can code, as to whether a game succeeds or fails.

except slate forges...

where are the slate forges?

• Like 2