Sign in to follow this  
Kiama

Nomadic Cluster

3 minutes ago, Drayka said:

🤣 True, but it's a linked post to an unknown section of the forum. Perhaps make it clearer in THIS topic, above your link. 😉

Sure, done.

20 minutes ago, Drayka said:

Deleted - since I misread who the target audience was.

Aww no need for you to have deleted it, it was actually an extremely helpful outline of why the idea needs to be PvE and have the "scarce abundance" design we have.

😄 Don't worry, I always intended a rewrite. Just wanted to make sure my silly-error didn't derail the topic by leaving it there as bait for other posters to focus on.

Given that there is no PvP mechanics, this wouldn't destroy itself within the year. It could have no other outcome with PvP enabled; because raiding, piracy, theft, and inability to defend a deed in a no-return cycle, would lead to a monopolisitic tyranny in short order, on a open-to-all-Steam cluster.

Given that deeds defend themselves, and given that being on a one-way cycle would be fiscally compensated to fund upkeep of pioneer deeds simply by being logged in on such servers, the zero-monetisation is now the most important part - since financial gain is also a form of warfare. Without this restriction, the cluster would again destroy itself, by forcing players to pursue their own gain to the extent of ignoring others as rivals in the logistics of their own goals, instead of working together to overcome the huge environmental challenges.

Without either form of warfare artificially dividing player goals into personal rivalries for resources in scarcity, the enemy instead becomes bad organisation/information. The cyclic nature of the system means that accounts which are 1 server ahead in the no-return cycle, can warn/inform players who have yet to travel there, that more of x resources need to be shipped along with them.

I (still) feel that this would be a good use of premium time for those who have found progress on their home cluster to have stagnated and are no longer playing. A chance to meet new people and enjoy an ongoing adventure together. The challenge of logistical organisation is the most fundamental aspect of PvE gameplay, and this is often lost in prettying up a deed that - apart from the endless hours spent grinding skill and earning the money/silver to buy things, actually took little effort to create. PvE beyond newbie days is more about artistic creativity, than any challenge in gathering resources. Commerce makes it all too easy/difficult. It can make it very pay-to-win.

This sounds much more like a truly worthwhile expedition, to tame the environment and transport resources on a scale that would sustain the entire populous in a seasonal cycle. Though, I feel it might need to be periodically upscaled for WO, to keep the tourism novelty fresh.

How would you feel about designing something more like this, where which corner(s) will open is not (blatantly) known in advance, nor what one might always encounter there:

Mwb7R0O.png

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Drayka said:

This sounds much more like a truly worthwhile expedition, to tame the environment and transport resources on a scale that would sustain the entire populous in a seasonal cycle. Though, I feel it might need to be periodically upscaled for WO, to keep the tourism novelty fresh.

How would you feel about designing something more like this, where which corner(s) will open is not (blatantly) known in advance, nor what one might always encounter there:

Mwb7R0O.png

That's a very cool suggestion. I like this creative approach. To be clear I am not suggesting that WO follow the exact format of Stormfall. How it would be arranged on WO is totally up in the air, which is why in the OP I say "design". In the best case fantasy scenario where the devs both take up this idea and involve me in designing it, I would want a lot of painstaking consideration to go into the best implementation for WO.

This could be something like Challenge. Maybe like a short-term scenario with some goals and when it's over you get some skins/items on your main toon.

But then again I would hate to see Wurm flooded with all sorts of mini-games and different scenarios. I mean if you make a nomad thing, why not make another challenge thing or some other ideeas.

6 minutes ago, Idlamn said:

This could be something like Challenge. Maybe like a short-term scenario with some goals and when it's over you get some skins/items on your main toon.

But then again I would hate to see Wurm flooded with all sorts of mini-games and different scenarios. I mean if you make a nomad thing, why not make another challenge thing or some other ideeas.

My vision for it is more of an alternative Wurm lifestyle. People who don't embrace it could certainly treat it like some secondary challenge cluster they get to have fun with every now and again but I believe there's those of us who actually want to properly "live" with a nomadic rhythm. But honestly I know the chances of this idea being implemented are so low that, if the devs decided to implement it your way, I'd still be delighted.

• Like 1