Sign in to follow this  
Kiama

Nomadic Cluster

I would happily cooperate with the WO team to design and/or manage an isolated nomadic cluster for WO. Here's the concept implemented in WU (note that I am only pointing out the nomadic aspect, so ignore the Stormguard section).

Keep in mind that this is a PvE concept.

This is not any kind of indication that I am disinterested in my WU cluster - I am on it every day and have many plans for it, including a very exciting reveal coming in September. But in case people feel like WO is a bit stagnant, well here's this fresh approach.

Edited by Kiama
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Skatyna said:

no thanks. bye

It is so funny, I literally had wondered to myself how unnecessarily rude a response someone would manage. Fortunately along with being highly creative, I am also exceedingly patient and relaxed. We'll see if anyone can outdo you.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Kiama said:

It is so funny, I literally had wondered to myself how unnecessarily rude a response someone would manage. Fortunately along with being highly creative, I am also exceedingly patient and relaxed. We'll see if anyone can outdo you.

Skatyna is always snarky, don't mind.

I read through the thread, and it is an interesting project you realized in WU. Yet I have doubts that it could succeed in WO.

• I do not see how to connect that or create interaction with the other clusters. Do you think you could win over entirely new players for the project, or bring WO veterans to go over?
  • Would there be distinct accounts (like in NFI recently), or portaling from Freedom/Chaos and/or Epic? And from NFI/Defiance?
  • Or do you expect considerable parts of recent Freedom/Epic players migrate to the new cluster?

Ok, if you can convince the devs/company go on and good luck. Yet I can tell you that I would not have the least interest to abandon my server, deed, alliance, friends, not even for "a fresh experience".

• Like 2

Interesting. I do like the idea of islands that contain items no other lands possess which would encourage travel.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

Yet I can tell you that I would not have the least interest to abandon my server, deed, alliance, friends, not even for "a fresh experience".

I also have to agree with this.

If these islands could be incorporated into existing servers that might work.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

I read through the thread, and it is an interesting project you realized in WU. Yet I have doubts that it could succeed in WO.

• I do not see how to connect that or create interaction with the other clusters. Do you think you could win over entirely new players for the project, or bring WO veterans to go over?
  • Would there be distinct accounts (like in NFI recently), or portaling from Freedom/Chaos and/or Epic? And from NFI/Defiance?
  • Or do you expect considerable parts of recent Freedom/Epic players migrate to the new cluster?

Ok, if you can convince the devs/company go on and good luck. Yet I can tell you that I would not have the least interest to abandon my server, deed, alliance, friends, not even for "a fresh experience".

Nothing needs to appeal to everyone. I personally believe the nomadic rhythm appeals especially to those who get bored after two months and wait til the next server launch, but different people on Stormfall have different motivations for being enthusiastic about it.

In terms of being connected to the others, no it wouldn't work at all for it to be connected, that's why I suggested it as "isolated".

5 hours ago, Ekcin said:

That.

• Like 2

I like that, some time ago I proposed something similar

and

Today I would add to this idea that the map does not close by force, but when the season ends, very strong opponents (bandits) start spawning on the map, for each killed two new ones are spawned and after a few days the island becomes so dangerous. that no one will be able to play normally.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Darnok said:

I like that, some time ago I proposed something similar

and

Today I would add to this idea that the map does not close by force, but when the season ends, very strong opponents (bandits) start spawning on the map, for each killed two new ones are spawned and after a few days the island becomes so dangerous. that no one will be able to play normally.

That is really cool.

Back in the day on Epic there was this rule where you could get higher tier precious metal only on the central island. I think this sort of elements are already in place, with things like marble or slate requiring you to find a mine for it (or a public project).

But having 4 islands each with it's own terrain... I can kinda see where the fun/catch would be, but I don't think it would be enough.

Then there's the fact there are too many islands as it is.

Maybe enhance the current ones with some gameplay that brings value to nomads.

It's nice to see people creatively using WU for things like this, though.

• Like 1

I have to point out that people who don't like this idea are entirely irrelevant to whether it should exist. It is like a PvE player giving a -1 to the idea of a PvP server. But feel free to let me know you don't like it anyway.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kiama said:

I have to point out that people who don't like this idea are entirely irrelevant to whether it should exist. It is like a PvE player giving a -1 to the idea of a PvP server. But feel free to let me know you don't like it anyway.

I still miss any hint (not to say proof) of the audience for such an endeavor. As for your work on WU, how many participants does it have? How many would be interested in a WO copy or spinoff of it?

If I get you right, recent paying customers of WO would have to give up their deeds, their friends, their alliances to join that kind of cluster, and would be cut off from any communication with any other part of WO. What is not fully clear to me is whether they had to set up a brandnew account for.

I cannot appraise how many recent players would seriously interested in that. My estimate is: not many. (If you want Darnok, take and keep him ;) )

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

I still miss any hint (not to say proof) of the audience for such an endeavor. As for your work on WU, how many participants does it have? How many would be interested in a WO copy or spinoff of it?

If I get you right, recent paying customers of WO would have to give up their deeds, their friends, their alliances to join that kind of cluster, and would be cut off from any communication with any other part of WO. What is not fully clear to me is whether they had to set up a brandnew account for.

I cannot appraise how many recent players would seriously interested in that. My estimate is: not many. (If you want Darnok, take and keep him ;) )

I don't see it appealing to much of the current core WO audience. If that audience represented Wurm's full potential, there wouldn't be much hope for it to take off - as it is, however, I believe Wurm only captures a fraction of its potential audience so there's reason to try new things. Indeed, the very fact [that many of the sort of players who are happy to stay on the current WO servers don't want it] may be an indication that it would cater to a separate audience rather than splitting the player base.

My cluster has about 15 active players. I would say that's not bad given that it is only a month old and WU has been left for dead, but really I would say it is meaningless. Stormfall is a private server and is never going to draw people the way an "official" experience can.

4 hours ago, Ekcin said:

I still miss any hint (not to say proof) of the audience for such an endeavor.

Think of it as the exploration update we aren't getting in WO.  😁

I personally could live without the storm - as my natural gameplay is to venture far and wide but have a main home for coming back to.  That's already how I play WO.  The big difference is in WO I do it only because I want to and there is no in-game reward for it apart from a bit of salvage.  On the Stormfall cluster if you don't travel or at least trade with those who travel, then you will always struggle for resources.  Clay for instance is incredibly abundant on one server but non existent on any other server (and will remain that way) so all pottery is reliant on people travelling to that cluster.  Tar is also very abundant on one and only one server, so will likely be the centre for ship-building.  A lot of smithied construction material requires iron, which can only be mined on one server.  WO has to my mind had a bit of a tendency to create the one-person village, as in one person works on all aspects of resource gathering and making and generally doesn't have to travel far for any of it. There might be some travel for tar and clay at first, but even without transmutation, once it is located it is easy to set up in a convenient spot.  On the Stormfall cluster, for instance, there is actually nowhere that is convenient to both tar and clay.  It forces community interaction in a way that WO hasn't so far.

• Like 1

No. That is a different game, for different players, a different community. I do not say it is bad, or not interesting. But I would not throw away 3.6 years of Wurm for a new cluster. If I would like to play something like that, then on the WU server, not here. Unfortunately, I do not like steam, so no WU.

25 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

No. That is a different game, for different players, a different community. I do not say it is bad, or not interesting. But I would not throw away 3.6 years of Wurm for a new cluster. If I would like to play something like that, then on the WU server, not here. Unfortunately, I do not like steam, so no WU.

For now, yes, people who want this should just come and play on Stormfall. But if WO ever did provide this experience in an official capacity, the failure of people like you to appreciate it would be irrelevant. WO has no obligation to restrict itself to a particular service or to cater only to a particular group of players.

So the only rule on this cluster is to "Be kind". Yet you persist in calling anyone who has a differing opinion "Irrelevant".  That is not kind. People are not irrelevant simply because they disagree with you. -10

1 hour ago, Katrat said:

So the only rule on this cluster is to "Be kind". Yet you persist in calling anyone who has a differing opinion "Irrelevant".  That is not kind. People are not irrelevant simply because they disagree with you. -10

I don't want to derail this conversation so I will assume you genuinely misunderstood what I said: There's a difference between calling a person irrelevant and calling an action or stance of theirs irrelevant in a particular context.

I do not think Ekcin is irrelevant and I even expressed my appreciation for their first contribution, because they said that while THEY wouldn't join, they were fine with me convincing the devs to try the idea. That's precisely the right way to let someone know that you don't personally care for their suggestion when that suggestion wouldn't affect you, IF you have some irresistible need to tell them at all. I don't have any problem with that whatsoever. Ekcin has never said that they would suddenly not be okay with the devs trying this, so I assume this is still their stance. But as Ekcin wanted to keep bringing up that they personally wouldn't play, I just noted that stance was irrelevant to the virtue or otherwise of this suggestion. And with all that's been said, I still don't have a problem with Ekcin. However, I do apologise for my wording of "failure of people like you to appreciate" - that was too negatively phrased.

Now please, don't let this debate over a simple suggestion get any more personal. There's absolutely no need for it.

• Like 1

Deleted - since I misread who the target audience was.

Edited by Drayka

Drayka resource scarcity is done here very differently to what Wurm has done. Because where you can find the resources, you can find such an abundance of it that it would be laughable for people to try to stop others from getting any. The ore vein frequency is 30% for example. To be clear that is a 3 in 10 chance of hitting one of the few ore types on that island. And resources like tar and clay are similarly abundant on their native islands. And yes we are PvE.

1 minute ago, Kiama said:

we are PvE.

Please make that clearer in you linked OP. No-rules-other-than-be-kind means something very different on PvP clusters.

Just now, Drayka said:

Please make that clearer in you linked OP. No-rules-other-than-be-kind means something very different on PvP clusters.

Drayka it literally is in the PvE forum and PvE is additionally listed in the settings.

🤣 True, but it's a linked post to an unknown section of the forum. Perhaps make it clearer in THIS topic, above your link. 😉