Sign in to follow this  
rangerklypf

Arched Walls Realistically

How arched walls require the same amount of materials is beyond me. Perhaps when I was young and naive this didn't bother me as much. I have always actively played PvP where arched walls are rare and I've never had the inclination to build them... until now. 

Spoiler

WuOMt5d.png

Please reduce the material quantity requirements for arched walls from 20 to 10 bricks and mortar.

• Like 4

It's for balance. It provides all the protection of a wall. If it was to be less, it should allow picking up and not count as an outer wall

• Like 1

I'm not opposed to the idea of different costs, in theory. It would add to the feel of realism... in theory. But the decision was, I'm fairly certain, quite deliberate. If different style of wall required different amounts of material to construct, then players would feel pressured to build certain wall styles in order to save on materials.

As it stands - and yes, I understand that the larger arches and T arches are an exception - players have essentially a no-cost choice of which style of wall / door / window to build. That means that, as it stands, the choice of which style to build is almost purely aesthetic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Archaed said:

It's for balance. It provides all the protection of a wall. If it was to be less, it should allow picking up and not count as an outer wall

Correction, this is no longer true. I forget which patchnotes I read it in, but arched walls do provide less protection.

7 hours ago, Drayka said:

Correction, this is no longer true. I forget which patchnotes I read it in, but arched walls do provide less protection.

This is not true. 

They provide full house protection and count as a full wall for purposes of security, sleeping, and being inside a house. 

OP said PvP.

I can't FIND the reference, but I remember reading about it amongst a whole load of other technical data, because it finally clicked for me why we always have to build solid-walls on the ground floor. Now maybe it was altered again, but I do remember reading it, just not where I found it.