Sign in to follow this  
Darnok

Burned trees & bush and forest fires

The problem with spamming suggestions like he does, is that those that shall read this forum, wont couse its spammed like this :(  

1 hour ago, Maiya said:

The problem with spamming suggestions like he does, is that those that shall read this forum, wont couse its spammed like this :(  

Are you honestly telling me that it's impossible to read the name under the suggestion post, and then decide whether or not to click on the link?

I mean, I have some really strange quirks about listening to everyone regardless of who they are, so I guess it's possible.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Drayka said:

Are you honestly telling me that it's impossible to read the name under the suggestion post, and then decide whether or not to click on the link?

I mean, I have some really strange quirks about listening to everyone regardless of who they are, so I guess it's possible.

We play wurm, we're masochists for suffering. 

Which is what reading these suggestion often amounts to

• Like 3
  • Cat 1

23 minutes ago, Archaed said:

We play wurm, we're masochists for suffering. 

Which is what reading these suggestion often amounts to

And then the suffering gets too much, and we turn on those suffering the most because they trigger in us some instinct to put them and us out of our mutual misery. Which makes a few people feel a little better for a few moments, but creates an even bigger mass of suffering to deal with, until the only people left in the game are those who have hit rock-bottom so long ago, that they have to change themselves instead of waiting for the world to be changed for them.

Or we could try not lashing out, even at the people who 'deserve it'.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Borstaskor said:

Please stop posting suggestions. I haven't read a single good suggestions from you and I've seen like 10.

I didn't see any good suggestion from any of my critics, nor did I see any good argument against my suggestions, and -1 doesn't mean anything.

It's just your opinion and your opinion has the same value as my opinion/suggestion.

4 hours ago, Maiya said:

I like to share my ideas, and whether someone thinks they're good or bad is a matter of taste.

From my point of view it looks like large part of this community have lost their taste during epidemic...

Edited by Darnok

3 hours ago, Drayka said:

I've noticed suggestions seems to have dived in traffic, but of course, that's just a feeling and how I've perceived it. I've certainly had suggestion ideas, but what's the point when Darnok will spam it down half a page by arguing bad ideas and suggesting more trash that nobody likes or wants?

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Madnath said:

I've noticed suggestions seems to have dived in traffic, but of course, that's just a feeling and how I've perceived it. I've certainly had suggestion ideas, but what's the point when Darnok will spam it down half a page by arguing bad ideas and suggesting more trash that nobody likes or wants?

What's the point in having disabled children and normal children in the same school?

I dunno, maybe it could be something about the fact that when they grow up, they won't expect all disabled people to be got rid of for their benefit, and they might actually develop some skills of their own for interacting with such people and including them in their lives, instead of always having the expectation that authority should remove such disruptive elements from their awareness as unworthy of having anything to contribute.

Because I'm very sorry to have to point out, for example, that from the perspective of a hearing-person's point of view, sign-language is a load of "trash nobody likes or wants", so they don't bother with state-funding to teach it to everyone in school. So when people start going deaf in their old age, they just have to live with the fact that they've lost the ability to communicate. Either they get expensive hearing aids, or put up with not being able to freely communicate with other people anymore.

Right now, this playerbase is experiencing across the board what it is like to be trying really hard to communicate with people who are important to them, because those people's decisions affect their entire gaming life. Effectively, the loss of communication with the devs is a simulation of what it is like to live one's life as a disabled individual.

Imagine if it was always like that, and nothing would conceivably ever change - because some of the playerbase already are. Just as those going through lockdown got a taste of what it is like to live an institutionalised life being treated as a social pariah, or living out the end of their days in a retirement home with no visitors. You bet they wanted normal back as fast as possible! It's enough to give anyone mental health issues, and animal instinct will goad one into taking extraordinary risks to avoid a danger they fear even more than physical disease.

But when old age comes for you, crippling your body and your mind, how included, wanted and needed will you find yourself in society? Or will the social pressure be to stop being such a burden to healthy, fit people who are what it's all about and no-one else matters?

Subscribing to survival of the fittest is signing your own warrant for being criminally discriminated against and ostracised from society in your turn. And 2021 is EXACTLY the time in Wurm's history when we should be having these discussions, with game development slowed to a crawl because of the fallout of RL global events.

Edit: For moderation purposes, if this is considered off-topic, please reorganise by moving the relevant post-chain to a new topic in the appropriate forum, instead of deleting. Because I have no idea where it belongs, I just add to ongoing conversations.

Edited by Drayka
  • Like 2

I have no idea what's going on but if survival of the fittest is the topic of conversation

let me tell you kids somethin

you ain't it

i read the op this is brilliant i +25 it to negate all negative votes and this should be implemented tomorrow.

Edited by Makarus
you already kno
  • Like 2

Yeah sure, why not?  🙂

Will make the world feel a bit more alive 🌎 

Also, what's with the big drama storm lol zap zap . Never heard of something called "fun".??  More so "meaningless or pointless fun" 

It's not that big of a threat, really guys.  BTW, for the people who are worrying that there is no point in creating suggestion topics because they will be sent to the bottom of the forum because of the op's topics being bumped up. 

Remember that you posting in his topics going "Go away!?!!?". Or "why won't you leave us alone!?!?". Is only going to do what you fear. Bump the topic up and push down the others. 

If you are that triggered by him then just ignore his topics and focus on the topics that you like and want to bump up.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Drayka said:

Cost of giving to charity: high

Benefit of giving to charity: a few living things live a little longer than the would otherwise, but ultimately still die. / Tax avoidance

Guess there's no tax avoidance as an incentive here.

Are you seriously attempting to discredit the entire concept of cost/benefit analysis ? Using weird/nihilistic evaluations of both?

Because if not, what on earth are you trying to say?

Edited by Sheffie

3 hours ago, Sheffie said:

Are you seriously attempting to discredit the entire concept of cost/benefit analysis ? Using weird/nihilistic evaluations of both?

Because if not, what on earth are you trying to say?

That there's a massive difference between using that tool to evaluate the short-term fiscal-benefit to a individual/company, and using it to evaluate the long-term best-interests of a community/complex-system. Which ironically is what you are attempting to use it for, but it can also be used to nullify your own argument on a much grander scale, until ultimately, it's as simple as 'just be nice to people instead of overthinking it'. Because it can take many years and a lot of soul-searching to realise that cost/benefit analysis, is just another way of justifying missing the point.

I like the idea of any random tree getting struck by lightning (just as players can be) and producing, ash, tar and charcoal.

However with the exception of tar, the decay is fast on those items, as in gone within a rl week, and that kind of negates the usefulness of the suggestion.

What might be better to reflect the rarity of the event, is that it produces, ash, tar, charcoal and something rare/special that doesn't decay fast.

Burnt wood or charred wood maybe for a special craft item, or a new wood type look, or a wood with a new or special attribute.

The devs did say they wanted to get us exploring more and this idea from the op certainly fits with that,.

A treasure hunt, could be similar to the mission mechanics.

just brain storming here...

• Like 1

Please keep discussion to the suggestion, and respectful.  You don't have to agree with it.  Discussion about ability or disability, or societal treatment of people doesn't belong in this thread.

Pandalet (LFM)

On 8/24/2021 at 3:54 AM, Drayka said:

Due to the nature of property and land density in Wurm.

For once, Darnok has clearly demonstrated a better grasp of core WO abstraction principles than the veterans.

you got me, thats why this is a great idea, because population density is just so high in wurm. cant even walk for more 4 hours without finding a player or 2.

• Like 1

On 8/28/2021 at 8:41 PM, Sheffie said:

To say that you know better whose opinion or idea would work better in reality is a manifestation of pride, and pride is worse than ignorance, because a person who does not know something can always learn.

While a person who is convinced that he already knows everything, and that his opinions are more important than opinions of others, is incurable.

1 hour ago, Darnok said:

...a person who is convinced that he already knows everything, and that his opinions are more important than opinions of others, is incurable.

On 8/20/2021 at 6:18 PM, Darnok said:

It's obvious that I'm right and all of you are wrong, because I know best what features and rules of the game would suit me.

• Like 4
  • Cat 1

21 hours ago, Josso said:

I know best what features and rules of the game would suit me.

This is not the same as saying that you know everything or that you know what will be good for others, as some advanced players claim.

If there are bushes near burned tree, they start to burn and transmit fire to nearby bushes within 1 tile.

This way there would be a natural and realistic mechanism for the trees to win the race for tiles against fast growing bushes.

Updated OP - I would like this most brutal variant, but many who play Wurm as a simulator of building a medieval settlement probably will not like it.

Edited by Darnok