Sign in to follow this  
Darnok

Burned trees & bush and forest fires

Each day there should be a small chance that a shriveled tree will be struck by lightning and turn into a burned tree that will drop pile of ash when cut down.

EDIT:

If there are bushes near burned tree, they start to burn and transmit fire to nearby bushes within 1 tile.

This way there would be a natural and realistic mechanism for the trees to win the race for tiles against fast growing bushes.

OR expand it even further

...because we have effects such as smoke and fire in the game. Bushes can pass fire on to other bushes, highest level grass, hay tiles and cereals ready for harvest.

MORE Forest fires

Fire can also spread between trees if they are within 1 tile, but only in the direction of the wind, and it must take several hours for one tree to start burning this way.

Thus, 1 player being nearby will be able to stop a fire by changing tiles near burning tree to dirt (cultivate).

If a player stands or ride through tile with a burning tree or bush, he takes damage from fire, similar to the way he takes damage by riding through thorns.

Edited by Darnok
  • Like 2

should? Not

Take Real Life for example.. how many trees end up shivered and how many of them are struck by lightnings..

Nonsense.

1 hour ago, Tpikol said:

do you understand how trees work now?

yes

17 minutes ago, Finnn said:

should? Not

Take Real Life for example.. how many trees end up shivered and how many of them are struck by lightnings..

Nonsense.

I chose the most useless tree stage so as not to destroy those that the player can use... as for amount hmm...

“We think around 830 million trees are struck by lightning, and about a quarter of those, around 200 million, are killed.

So that’s a lot. And as I mentioned before, we know that it’s not just a random tree in the forest: typically, it’s the largest trees.”

https://www.scientificamerican.com/podcast/episode/death-by-lightning-is-common-for-tropical-trees/

• Like 1

What are you trying to suggest? A way to source high-quality ash based on a skill other than fire-making?

If you need to skillgrind fire-making for better quality ash - the existing mechanic - spam creating torches. It gives good gains for much more easily sourced resources than your suggestion.

Otherwise please state why you think this would improve quality-of-life.

11 minutes ago, Drayka said:

What are you trying to suggest? A way to source high-quality ash based on a skill other than fire-making?

If you need to skillgrind fire-making for better quality ash - the existing mechanic - spam creating torches. It gives good gains for much more easily sourced resources than your suggestion.

Otherwise please state why you think this would improve quality-of-life.

In case you haven't noticed yet, I don't like solutions that force players to grind just one skill.
In this way, woodcutters would also have access to a higher ql ash, if ql of ash would depend on the woodcutting skill, but the chance of finding such a burnt tree would not be too high, so it wouldn't shake high ql ash market, but should make ash in small quantities more accessible for other "professions", for those who like to explore not only grind 😉

48 minutes ago, Darnok said:

In this way, woodcutters would also have access to a higher ql ash,

because carpentry ans ship building really benefit a lot from high ql ash, thats why woodcutters life would be better!.

listen to yourself.

Alot of trees are struck by lightning... its the primary cause of Oregon forest fires. Followed by idiots with campfires.

• Like 1

In view of your many dozens of ambitious, unorthodox and surprising suggestions I cannot quite avoid the impression that you actually seem to be designing a completely new game instead of trying to improve the existing world of Wurm Online. :)

You have Interesting ideas... albeit many of them might not really be in line with the history, the philosophy and the general idea of Wurm Online. (You may have noticed this by the somewhat "reserved" reaction by most players, to put it mildly ;))

I don't mean any offence; feel free to keep them coming - but you may be more successful if you suggest useful little improvements that would fit in better with the game we all love. :)

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Yaga said:

In view of your many dozens of ambitious, unorthodox and surprising suggestions I cannot quite avoid the impression that you actually seem to be designing a completely new game instead of trying to improve the existing world of Wurm Online. :)

You have Interesting ideas... albeit many of them might not really be in line with the history, the philosophy and the general idea of Wurm Online. (You may have noticed this by the somewhat "reserved" reaction by most players, to put it mildly ;))

I don't mean any offence; feel free to keep them coming - but you may be more successful if you suggest useful little improvements that would fit in better with the game we all love. :)

It seems to me that nothing smaller can be invented than this suggestion.

I suspect that even the proposal to change the color of rare or fantastic item, would find its critics, because in my opinion this sentence that everyone loves wurm is false.

There are small groups who like certain aspects of Wurm, but hardly anyone likes the whole thing (and I am no different, I like part of Wurm).

Just fact that there is PvP and PvE proves such a strong division.

Btw I would love to read comments under announcement about "We will remove PvE and from next month we all play Wurm only on PvP rules" (or other way around), there would be more "love" in comments under that news, than under all of my suggestions 🙂

I wish Wurm was better, but the problem is that many mechanisms would require many changes in my opinion.

For example, balance issues of armors, weapons, ships, religions, metals... In order to change/improve it and diversify the game, you would have to re-invent most of these elements almost from scratch, small changes won't help to solve this.

6 hours ago, Darnok said:

In case you haven't noticed yet, I don't like solutions that force players to grind just one skill.
In this way, woodcutters would also have access to a higher ql ash, if ql of ash would depend on the woodcutting skill, but the chance of finding such a burnt tree would not be too high, so it wouldn't shake high ql ash market, but should make ash in small quantities more accessible for other "professions", for those who like to explore not only grind 😉

You can currently get ash from cleaning smelters, forges, kilns & ovens ( no skill needed once the item is imped ) or by making charcoal piles ( charcoal-making ) or by using high ql campfires ( high woodcutting & decent firemaking skill ).

That's 3 completely different ways to get ash that are currently in the game. We don't need more.

50 minutes ago, Darnok said:

It seems to me that nothing smaller can be invented than this suggestion.

I suspect that even the proposal to change the color of rare or fantastic item, would find its critics, because in my opinion this sentence that everyone loves wurm is false.

There are small groups who like certain aspects of Wurm, but hardly anyone likes the whole thing (and I am no different, I like part of Wurm).

Just fact that there is PvP and PvE proves such a strong division.

Btw I would love to read comments under announcement about "We will remove PvE and from next month we all play Wurm only on PvP rules" (or other way around), there would be more "love" in comments under that news, than under all of my suggestions 🙂

I wish Wurm was better, but the problem is that many mechanisms would require many changes in my opinion.

For example, balance issues of armors, weapons, ships, religions, metals... In order to change/improve it and diversify the game, you would have to re-invent most of these elements almost from scratch, small changes won't help to solve this.

If the only way you believe wurm would be a better game is to completely overhaul literally every facet of it, you are basically saying you do not like Wurm.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Darnok said:

yes

I chose the most useless tree stage so as not to destroy those that the player can use... as for amount hmm...

“We think around 830 million trees are struck by lightning, and about a quarter of those, around 200 million, are killed.

So that’s a lot. And as I mentioned before, we know that it’s not just a random tree in the forest: typically, it’s the largest trees.”

https://www.scientificamerican.com/podcast/episode/death-by-lightning-is-common-for-tropical-trees/

no..

Bad idea.

Currently shivered trees have chance to replant themselves on their own - GOOD enough.

6 hours ago, Tpikol said:

because carpentry ans ship building really benefit a lot from high ql ash, thats why woodcutters life would be better!.

listen to yourself.

LOL... 

He's trolling, he's not playing the game, he's on the forums to throw people with troll suggestions that make no sense(half thought, not full, unbalanced, actually lacking any balance), he's NOT familiar with the game at all. Regularly quotes imaginary mechanics that aren't wurm's. Why mods do not put end of this bot spam is really curious question. The insanity just keeps the attention off other things.

45 minutes ago, zethreal said:

You can currently get ash from cleaning smelters, forges, kilns & ovens ( no skill needed once the item is imped ) or by making charcoal piles ( charcoal-making ) or by using high ql campfires ( high woodcutting & decent firemaking skill ).

That's 3 completely different ways to get ash that are currently in the game. We don't need more.

All 3 are player made sources, I suggest source that is made by environment.

43 minutes ago, zethreal said:

If the only way you believe wurm would be a better game is to completely overhaul literally every facet of it, you are basically saying you do not like Wurm.

To say that every game is better when it's balanced doesn't mean you don't like something, it means you like balance over everything else.

Take armor for example, I say leather and studded leather armors should be expanded and have different properties depending on what kind of leather (we would need different kinds of leather) is used to create them, that is, I don't like Wurm?

Or, in my opinion, players would be more likely to use metal armors made of different metals if the properties of the metals didn't mean that the whole point of armor is limited to damage reduction value as one magic number.

Instead of this one value, armor should be more oriented against a given damage type, for example golden armor should give 100% acid resistance.

Player with this armor would not even notice the acid damage, but gold is so fragile that mauls would damage golden armor quickly and deal a lot of damage to player.

Both different types of damage and different metal properties exist in Wurm, but in my opinion a slightly different breakdown/categorization would improve balance and variety.

Sure you may consider this as "disliking" the whole game, but it is not true.

5 hours ago, Darnok said:

All 3 are player made sources, I suggest source that is made by environment.

No. It does not exist until a player fells the tree. That's a player-made source, same as the rest. If a lava-tile periodically spawned ash on the surrounding tiles, (or fried trees that tried to grow on an adjacent tile) regardless of player interaction, that would be a resource created by the environment.

6 hours ago, zethreal said:

6 hours ago, Finnn said:

LOL... 

He's trolling, he's not playing the game, he's on the forums to throw people with troll suggestions that make no sense(half thought, not full, unbalanced, actually lacking any balance), he's NOT familiar with the game at all. Regularly quotes imaginary mechanics that aren't wurm's. Why mods do not put end of this bot spam is really curious question. The insanity just keeps the attention off other things.

With all due respect, I believe you're both incorrect. My very early posts in this forum are almost indistinguishable from Darnok's, excepting the vast difference in our personalities that colour the details of the suggestions, and I thought, and still think, that Wurm was/is the ONLY game worth playing. It just took me a long while to realise why this is true.

9 hours ago, DaletheGood said:

-1. go away

If your intention is to repeatedly communicate "I need you here; never leave under any circumstances; post MORE often and in even greater depth." then you are succeeding in your goal.

14 hours ago, Darnok said:

Translation; please correct if inaccurate:

I want highly mobile players who roam the map daily, to be able to gather a resource that is valued by the PvE industry, based on a core skill, that is non-seasonal, and does not require anything but a horse to transport efficiently.

If this is your reasoning, then I support this suggestion in its intent. Storms are seasonal too, so it wouldn't be a year-round thing. Actual graphics for lightning strikes wouldn't be as important, as the chance for a shrivelled tree to gain the ability to drop ash when felled, regardless of its normal lifecycle.

+1

I further suggest that although this would be based on woodcutting, it would skill fire-making.

Edited by Drayka

13 hours ago, Tpikol said:

listen to yourself.

Listen to yourself. You've assumed that all woodcutters should only concentrate on pre-existing supply and demand chains with carpenters and shipbuilders, instead of thinking outside the box as to how their skills could have application in a wider market, such as directly supplying alchemists. Due to the nature of property and land density in Wurm, no-one can build traditional charcoal piles in the deep woods as RL woodsmen would.

For once, Darnok has clearly demonstrated a better grasp of core WO abstraction principles than the veterans.

Edited by Drayka
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Finnn said:

should? Not

Nonsense.

uh quite a few actually, that is how lots of forest fires start

Cost of implementing idea: significant

Benefit of implementing idea: not.

Next!

37 minutes ago, Sheffie said:

Cost of implementing idea: significant

Benefit of implementing idea: not.

Next!

Cost of giving to charity: high

Benefit of giving to charity: a few living things live a little longer than the would otherwise, but ultimately still die. / Tax avoidance

Guess there's no tax avoidance as an incentive here.

Edited by Drayka

Please stop posting suggestions. I haven't read a single good suggestions from you and I've seen like 10.

• Like 2