Sign in to follow this  
Kohle

Malena's Gift

@Malenawas exceedingly generous and incredibly kind to gift me this lovely bit of her art, and it's simply too beautiful for me to keep to myself. With her blessing, I'm sharing with you all.

YuD0pDp.png

Edited by Kohle
  • Like 40
  • Cat 1

Malena is a very talented lady, and you Kohle are an extremely fortunate person!

Thanks for sharing.

• Like 2

Very nice indeed, was this with the channel points reward on her twitch streams? (I heard her talking about it one stream, but never knew if she made it a thing)

• Like 2

I wish Game Chest would hire her to do the human character models for Wurm. After a decade, you would think we could get some good looking alts.

• Like 4

On 8/22/2021 at 10:01 AM, Lycanthropic said:

Very nice indeed, was this with the channel points reward on her twitch streams? (I heard her talking about it one stream, but never knew if she made it a thing)

I haven't quite accumulated one million channel points yet - which makes this all the more generous of her.

• Like 1

Only just noticed this post! Anyhow, glad you liked it Kohle/Parser :-). 

If anyone is interested in seeing a 4 minute timelapse of the entire 9-hour stream during which this was drawn, you can see it here:

• Like 5

On 8/22/2021 at 5:01 PM, Lycanthropic said:

This wasn't from the channel point reward, but rather to thank Kohle and his wife for the many years of support for the stream. Another person I did something similar for, was DueJensen aka Oluffus by making him a painting of his character that he could use as a profile picture :-). It looks like he's put it to good use! 

https://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/profile/78104-oluffus/

As for the channel point reward, it is related to this in the sense that the reward will be drawn in a similar fashion, yes.

On 8/22/2021 at 6:59 PM, Wurmhole said:

I wish Game Chest would hire her to do the human character models for Wurm. After a decade, you would think we could get some good looking alts.

Aw thanks Wurmhole. Well there has definitely been discussion on and off about the idea of rehauling the characters at some point. And I only mention it because Samool did in fact touch upon that in the road map as a "possible" thing that might come eventually. Can't give you any information on the status of that though. What I can say is that a character overhaul would be a massive, massive undertaking because it would have to be done from the ground up, from scratch. Obviously keeping with the familiar Wurmian style, but just better and enhanced and more functional technically to allow for better animations etc. And yeah, as a volunteer, not sure if I'd have time for something that huge. 

• Like 6

malena - this is GORGEOUS!!!!!! is there any chance you take requests?!?! pm me if so please

• Like 3

On 8/24/2021 at 6:06 PM, Malena said:

What I can say is that a character overhaul would be a massive, massive undertaking because it would have to be done from the ground up, from scratch. Obviously keeping with the familiar Wurmian style, but just better and enhanced and more functional technically to allow for better animations etc. And yeah, as a volunteer, not sure if I'd have time for something that huge. 

Yeah. I do hope they make the call to go forward with it.  We watch the world around get prettier and prettier, but our faces and shapes are still 1990s quality.  In most games, they make a check box option to hide helmets, to see the pretty faces and hair styles.  In Wurm, I don't think anyone has ever made that request.  Your volunteer work is incredibly appreciated!

One thing that comes to mind is the skins phase we are in.  Lots of art development on that project, which is fun and makes for some really neat looking items, but could time and effort be pulled from that and focus it on character models I wonder?  How about this VR fiasco?  Shouldn't we at least have more realistic characters before anyone considers VR for this game? 

I think the way we look at our characters on Wurm is quite different than so many other games.  In Wurm, characters tend to be a list of stats, rather than a visual representation. When I make a new character in Wurm, I usually just skip the customization process - a process I absolutely love in almost every other game I play. 

I sure hope Samool and dev team really do put it up on the road map.  I can't think of anyone that would be sad to hear it ;)

2 hours ago, Wurmhole said:

We watch the world around get prettier and prettier, but our faces and shapes are still 1990s quality.

Yep, I feel exactly the same. The more we improve the rest of the game, the more the characters start to stick out and become mismatched with how the rest of the game is progressing visually. Totally agree there!

2 hours ago, Wurmhole said:

Lots of art development on that project, which is fun and makes for some really neat looking items, but could time and effort be pulled from that and focus it on character models I wonder?  How about this VR fiasco?  Shouldn't we at least have more realistic characters before anyone considers VR for this game? 

The monthly skins and the VR development are not actually "competing for the same development resources" so to speak. I understand that from a player perspective it sometimes feels like the dev team are this singular entity and that if "the team" produces one thing, it feels like the "whole team" has been working on it, but that's actually not how it works. In addition, the team sometimes contracts work from outside the team, which further removes the "competition" of dev resources. In a nutshell, what I'm basically saying is that stripping away monthly skins and VR stuff would have very little effect on whether character's are overhauled, as it would most likely be different people or an external company working on those anyhow.

As for the team's priorities, that's a question better posed at the management of the team, not me. I'm but a meagre measly volunteer artist hehe. I'm not the one calling the shots, nor would I have an answer for that question. I'd recommend that you pose these same opinions and questions on the roadmap thread, as that'd be a much better place for Demona, Samool, Keenan etc to respond. People who actually have answers :-). 

3 hours ago, Wurmhole said:

I think the way we look at our characters on Wurm is quite different than so many other games.  In Wurm, characters tend to be a list of stats, rather than a visual representation. When I make a new character in Wurm, I usually just skip the customization process - a process I absolutely love in almost every other game I play. 

Yep, it's so true. In other MMOs, the way my character looks is very important. But like you, I haven't been as fussed in Wurm - probably for the same reasons. I do hope we get the resources some day to fix this. ❤️