Sign in to follow this  
Synoeca

Stone Anchors

Recently while struggling to locate some lead to make an anchor for my new boat, I had an idea for a kind of slap-dash emergency anchor.  What about stone anchors?  (I'm thinking like a boulder or cluster of stones, not a literal anchor shape.)  Ideally, for me, they would be 100% efficient, BUT decay quickly.  (Due to low quality, not stone decaying.)  I am sure there will be plenty of dislikes, but I think the idea makes sense....

• Like 2

You are able to make anchors out of any type of metal with different effectiveness. I do not see a need for a rock anchor 

It's much easier to obtain on low level characters than metals and also makes sense as an anchor.  It wouldn't hurt metal anchors in any way as they would always be superior.  I think of it like the stone tools.  It's good for beginners and those of us living in the wilds with low mining and blacksmith.   It's just probably not useful for you personally.

54 minutes ago, Synoeca said:

It's much easier to obtain on low level characters than metals and also makes sense as an anchor.  It wouldn't hurt metal anchors in any way as they would always be superior.  I think of it like the stone tools.  It's good for beginners and those of us living in the wilds with low mining and blacksmith.   It's just probably not useful for you personally.

If you mean literally making an anchor out of stone (which I doubt you mean in the literal way) then not really, by the time you get the iron to make an anvil and a stone chisel you've already got a source of metal to make it. So...

If you mean literally just using a boulder, or rock shards, as a temporary anchor with a rope, then that makes more sense. I don't really see any value in it, given boats barely drift without anchors, and security is done via perms. And if you have rapid decay on the rope as its beaten by the ocean waves and current, then I can just imagine more awful headaches for newbies when they lose their only rope.

But how many newbies get in a position to make a boat, and aren't able to make an anchor out of metal?

I've always felt it was a waste of precious iron to make an anchor from it that you'd be wanting to replace with at least lead eventually.  The rest of the 100% effectiveness metals are precious so it's a huge waste unless you are high skill.   Here is where I'm coming from with this: I like exploring through the wilderness and living the hermit life and I hate mining and blacksmithing beyond what's needed for basics. (And your miners and blacksmiths are going to love people like me because we are the ones who buy your tools and resources.) Sometimes I just want to get a little boat going to explore.  While I'm struggling to mine to some lead ore I see a pile of rocks and think how in real life there's my solution, and it's kind of frustrating.  

Actually I have a huge issue with the whole effectiveness model being there at all.  You'd just have to make an iron anchor bigger to get the same weight as lead, it would still work just fine because it's still very heavy.  I imagine the issue with a pure iron anchor in RL would be decay, not weight.  I don't know anything about real anchors though.  Maybe they do have different "effectiveness" but that seems downright dangerous.  

I don't know, maybe it's an idea only suited for me and my personal abnormal play style, I'll admit....

I am still unsure about why Wurm thinks a 20kg lead anchor is heavier than a 20kg iron anchor. So the idea of anchor effectiveness is a bit of a waste of space as far as I'm concerned.

That said, I see no harm in crafting a crude anchor out of

• rock shards,
  • a net, and
  • a mooring rope.

It's a perfectly nice idea, I think it's in keeping with the spirit of the game, and if the devs had more time I'm sure they'd consider it.

It fits in fairly well with my idea of the dugout canoe as an easy to make newbie boat that doesn't last very long.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Sheffie said:

I am still unsure about why Wurm thinks a 20kg lead anchor is heavier than a 20kg iron anchor

2 minutes ago, Sheffie said:

I am still unsure about why Wurm thinks a 20kg lead anchor is heavier than a 20kg iron anchor. So the idea of anchor effectiveness is a bit of a waste of space as far as I'm concerned.

That said, I see no harm in crafting a crude anchor out of

• rock shards,
  • a net, and
  • a mooring rope.

It's a perfectly nice idea, I think it's in keeping with the spirit of the game, and if the devs had more time I'm sure they'd consider it.

It fits in fairly well with my idea of the dugout canoe as an easy to make newbie boat that doesn't last very long.

You just said it better and that's a perfect recipe for a crude anchor. :)  Also, I love the dugout canoe idea.  Maybe they will take this ideas into consideration someday, if it fits with a theme they are working on (maybe a "Roughing It" content theme?) who knows!  I figure it doesn't hurt to put the suggestions out there, regardless.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

While it does not make much sense in the atmosphere, there is something like buoyancy in water, so underwater different materials can have different effectiveness in this matter.

In the case of metals, it would probably be 0.001% difference, but well, that's not the biggest problem with Wurm.
If a stone anchor is to exist, I suggest adding it as an object that does not resemble an anchor but a large stone wheel that could also be used for other things like pottery wheel workstation or stone mill.

1200px-Bazalt_stone_anchor_Sea_of_Galile

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSZ4bhkcnmNa-W-6KhxfNA

Stone anchors IRL have been around for about as long as boats.  They are called anchor stones, because they are essentially just a stone used as an anchor.  No need for anything more fancy than that - it is a crude form of anchor, as long as there is a way to tether it to the boat (a couple of ropes, one to "net" the rock and one to tie it to the boat) the shape doesn't matter.

• Like 2