Sign in to follow this  
Drayka

How to sandbox a realistic pathing/hunting/combat update

Have a data capture/processing sandbox where players spawn in different locations as different mobs.

Participants have to fulfil tasklist of their mob survival requirements, including finding water regularly for mammalian mobs, and inter-mob combat objectives, on an E-vs-E server.

Developer/code moderator (to be progressively replaced by pseudo-AI algorithms) then reviews data, refines to strategies to be assigned to normal/traited categories of mobs, or discards strategies as below par.

These strategies progressively become inherent 'instincts' for all wild mobs on live servers - the playerbase becomes a mob-AI think-tank, rather than writing a dedicated AI to do the entire task.

Participants get in-game rewards to their nominated account for completing successful data-submission tasks.

For example, significant meditating skillgains if opportunities are repeating and widespread

or development credits that can be converted into items/consumables otherwise.

If such functionality proved useful to development and became a staple of ongoing gameplay, it could be enabled on player-servers (no chat, no maps, player must play on the EvE server and complete a journal there to gain approval for functionality on player servers).

Fine-rug meditating could be updated to trigger spawn-as-mob on random any-other server, with mob name prefixed with 'Wild' on mouseover by players, with massively increased skillgains to anyone lucky enough to interact with a 'Wild' mob.

A regular player in combat with a 'Wild' mob calling for guard assistance (even if the guards didn't respond) would abort the 'Wild' functionality and be a failed meditation for the mob-possessing account.

List of mobs available to randomly spawn as on player-servers would depend on meditation skill.

Non-mission Traitors would be available at 60 skill. Humanoids at 70 skill. Uniques not including dragons at 80 skill. Dragons at 90 skill.

WOW! just WOW! this would work, if the code isn't a royal pain to implement

having the players create a more realistic pathing model would be one heck of a wurm changer. 

Kudos. this is one thing we all should hope to see one day!

• Like 1

So uh, have a minigame where players become mobs and have to achieve certain tasks? This sounds like some weird call of duty setup. 

• Like 1

Maybe for learning AI, creating a new server makes sense, but what if the player could take control of a random mob on server where he is playing?
He would be given a very simple task like:
- find water (animal would have to reach water tile, before meditations ends),
- find food (for herbivores you need to find grass or steppe or some fruit tree),
- avoid people (you have to run away from other players and not get killed),
- attack people (you have to start a fight with another player, but when fight starts, meditation ends and you return to your character),

How do we translate "here is all the data about how a bunch of sentient beings approach this set of objectives" to "here is a set of instructions for an AI to follow in order to look like it has the same objectives" ?

Because I've been a programmer for a long time and I can't see a way. Not in C++, not in lua or python, certainly not in Java.

It's not a bad idea but it presupposes a behavioral learning engine that — if it exists — is probably quite expensive to license (because it was very expensive to develop).

8 hours ago, Sheffie said:

It's not a bad idea but it presupposes a behavioral learning engine that — if it exists — is probably quite expensive to license (because it was very expensive to develop).

I'm told that the already-developed-by-industry term for the kind of functionality I personally meant, is an 'agent' as opposed to a 'client' or a 'server', but I'm having great difficulty finding any reference to it.

If you source any literature on it - I don't care how technical - please point me towards it,  so that I can modify my suggestion to utilise functional structures that have already been developed by programmers for other purposes.